collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Good Dinosaur "shouldn't be watched by anyone under the age of 15"  (Read 13509 times)

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
Umm.... what?  :blink:

www.businessinsider.com/parents-complain-pixar-movie-scare-kids-2015-11

My mom and I saw it on Sunday. I agree it's not for little little kids. But for the most part it wasn't any scarier than The Lion King or Tarzan. It's not like it's at The Black Cauldron scary level. The kids that were in the theater with me were fine. They were even kind of "meh" on the movie.

Are these helicopter parents or do they think that everything Disney is supposed to be like Disney Jr?

Perfect response!
www.telegraph.co.uk/film/the-good-dinosaur/land-before-time-complaints-scary/

A couple more links.
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-induced-hallucinations-vicious-attacks.html

www.foodworldnews.com/articl...aur-scared-hell-out-kids-parents-complain.htm

Read more: http://disneydolllovers.proboards.com/thread/845/good-dinosaur-watched-15#ixzz3tE6HQS3R

sailorstitch

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
Re: The Good Dinosaur "shouldn't be watched by anyone under the age of 15"
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 07:56:47 PM »
I haven't seen the movie, so i can't say anything about this one, but i don't care for most of pixar's work.
Up is the one acception. and i don't think that's a good kids movie either.
things don't have to be "scare" to be not age appropriate for kids. but i won't get into it, as i'd like to keep it peaceful  :biggrin:
glad you enjoy the movie.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 07:57:30 PM »
Haha, I was going to ask if it was half as scary as Land Before Time, but then I saw that article. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure it can't be scarier than the stuff we saw when we were kids! (Brave Little Toaster, anyone?)

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 08:10:03 PM »
Haha, I was going to ask if it was half as scary as Land Before Time, but then I saw that article. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure it can't be scarier than the stuff we saw when we were kids! (Brave Little Toaster, anyone?)
i still have nightmares about that movie. *shudders* it wasn't until my 20's that i was able to throw anything away. didn't want my stuff getting revenge. now i can throw things out with marginal guilt. XD that coupled with the velveteen rabbit. yeah i was screwed.
but not only sex or violence that can "traumatize" children. can really be anything depending on the child and their personal experiences. so blanket statements like don't see if... aren't helpful.
some kids i know have read all of harry potter by the time they were 8, while other kids are still stuck in books like magic tree house. it really just depends. parents should be aware of how sensitive their children are and monitor them as need be. my niece is hyper sensitive and can't watch many episodes of mlp fim. it just depends.

Offline sailorstitch

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 08:14:18 PM »

I know, right! The '80s had some really scary stuff for kids. We survived just fine.

sailorstitch

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 08:17:05 PM »
I haven't seen it yet but..... Yeah..... you know..... this craziness is not worth the words.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 08:17:32 PM »
This isn't exactly uncommon for Disney movies. Watching these as an adult, I found they had a lot more violence than I remember watching them as a child.  I mean, The Little Mermaid has a giant Octopus woman being impaled by a ship, and the Hunchback of Notre Dame can got pretty dark often (I don't know how many people died in that movie, but it was more than a few, and it was in a very violent way).

If they're preschoolers, then I can see not wanting them to watch the scarier parts, but older children? By that age, they've probably seen worse in a video game.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:19:15 PM by zombienixon »

Offline sailorstitch

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 08:21:20 PM »
This isn't exactly uncommon for Disney movies. Watching these as an adult, I found they had a lot more violence than I remember watching them as a child.  I mean, The Little Mermaid has a giant Octopus woman being impaled by a ship, and the Hunchback of Notre Dame can got pretty dark often (I don't know how many people died in that movie, but it was more than a few, and it was in a very violent way).

If they're preschoolers, then I can see not wanting them to watch the scarier parts, but older children? By that age, they've probably seen worse in a video game.

I still can't fathom how Disney got away with some of the stuff in Hunchback of ND..... And it still got a G rating to boot!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 08:32:33 PM »
I was traumatized by "The Rescuers".   I remember my parents carrying me out of the theater while I sobbed.   I'm pretty sure I'm fine now.  Maybe.   :P

Disney has a long history of making emotional and scary movies.  How could they not suspect? Bambi, Dumbo... the Lion King?  Toy story 3 had me on edge and I still cry with Dumbo.  Poor little elephant.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this movie!
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 08:32:42 PM »
Okay........my husband and I saw it Monday night. Kids under 15 should be fine watching it. o.O

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 08:39:45 PM »
See, I saw it and thought it was a beautiful movie! It didn't seem too scary at all and there were many little kids who went to see it day before opening night with me and from the comments in the bathroom a lot of kids also enjoyed it! Lots of feels and laughs like a an emotional roller coaster but not scary. Older Disney movies were way scarier! Beauty and the Beast (fight scene) was scary for me as a kid and so was Hunchback of Notre Dom but still great movies!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 09:49:26 PM »
When Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs came out, theater owners hated it.  Why?  Because it was so scary that children WET themselves.  That's right.  The theater owners got tired of cleaning pee out of the seats.  And that one's rated G. 

I haven't seen The Good Dinosaur yet, but based on the complaints, I don't think those parents have seen a lot of Disney movies.

Parents complained that the characters had to deal with the death of close family members.  Cinderella's parents died when she was a little girl and she grew up being abused.  (Cinderella is rated G.)  In The Lion King (rated G) Simba's father was thrown off a cliff and trampled to death by wildebeests.  He was then told it was his fault and chased by hyenas who threatened to kill him as well.  Most Disney princesses have lost at least one parent (usually their mother).  Anna and Elsa (Frozen, G) lose both of their parents. 

The complaint about the dinosaur and the caveboy eating fermented food and acting drunk obviously came from someone who never saw the Pink Elephants scene in Dumbo (also rated G).  Pinocchio (G) depicts boys that run away to Pleasure Island, a place where drinking and smoking is encouraged.

Further examples of scary sequences/violence in Disney cartoons:
The Dinosaur sequence from Fantasia (rated G) was violent and scary.  Not to mention Night on Bald Mountain depicting demons having a party.   

Pinocchio (rated G) was abducted by a Gypsy, smoked and drank, watched his friends get turned into donkeys (who were then sold to pull carts in a mine) and was swallowed by a whale, who then chased him and his father when they escaped, nearly killing them both.

Bambi's mother was shot by hunters.   

Almost every villain dies in the end, usually by falling from a high place, but some of them were literally ripped to pieces.  Scar was attacked by the hyenas.  McLeach (Rescuers Down Under) was almost ripped apart by crocodiles.  They only stopped attacking him when he got too close to the waterfall, which he then went over.  Clayton (Tarzan) was hung.  The Hydra (Hercules) was crushed under a mountain of rocks.  Sykes (Oliver and Company) was hit by a train.

The point is, Disney movies have a history of being scary and violent.  The difference between old Disney movies and new Disney movies is that parents back then didn't rely on Caillou and Dora to raise their kids.  They decided whether or not a movie was too scary for their child to see and didn't necessarily base it on the rating.  Yes, I'm sure this movie is too scary for some children.  But to go off and complain that it's scarier than other Disney films just says that they've never actually watched any.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:19:54 PM by Pokeyonekenobie »

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 10:22:28 PM »
this exactly. after one scary movie incident when my niece was young my sister closely monitors what she watches, and always asks her if it's too scary. my niece is 8 and still very sensitive (like i said before) but because my sister has open communication with her about the things they watch and read, she doesn't feel resentment towards her mother for helping to sensor the things she consumes. if you don't watch something now, you can always watch it later, but once you've seen it, that can't be undone.

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 10:46:47 PM »
I can think of like, one part that's truly scary in that movie besides what happens to his dad (but that was more sad than nightmarey) and that's when that flying dino loses its cool. That was certainly something. I like where it went, narratively, though.

Otherwise it's a pretty decent boy and his dog movie and doesn't end old yeller style.

(I still have no idea how they vetted Hunchback. 'We're going to do Hunchback of Notre Dame as a kids movie! It's going to have singing and wacky gargoyles and HELLBOUND SOULS and some really realistic racism including the whole having to end up with phoebus by narrative thing but that one's subtle'
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 11:01:51 PM »
if you thinka obut it half the stuff we grew up with was    scary! and had violence..  i mean prime example.
Bambi-
Dumbo-
The orignal Land before time movie!
the ORIGINAL  Little mermaid movie. not the disney one.  the other one.wheres she blond and has a dolphin she DIES in that one. and guess which version my parents got me  becuase it was cheap. that one so i saw that as alittle girl and was tramatized by that one so much so that i refused to watch the disney one until    i thiink 2006 or 2007 lol

the point is   disney  laways  has  soemthing sad happen. liek Eight below that whole movie is sad. 

i mean also look at 101 dalmations thats   practiaclly kidnapping.
in aristocats they drug and drop the cats off.

so a lot of the stuff when we were  younger that we watched was "darker"  and had a lot of "violence"   but soemone is always goign to find soemthing to  fuss about.

i agree   Brave little toaster that one gav eme nightmares and velveteen rabbit

but what aobut Toy story 2?and Old prospecter how he went crazy  cuase he was kept Mib.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal