collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Very challenging pony cleaning project - advice wanted!  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Candyfloss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • McDonald's Pony
    • View Profile
Very challenging pony cleaning project - advice wanted!
« on: November 15, 2015, 10:08:20 PM »
So, without going into the nitty gritty details, I have in my possession a very large quantity of G1 ponies, accessories, ponywear, plush, etc. that are VERY stinky and likely moldy. They were stored in a poorly ventilated area for 15+ years and acquired a really bad mildewy smell. I've even spotted some ponies that have black mold spots on the inside (and possibly outside). And when I say "large quantity", I mean around 10 big garbage bags stuffed full!

These poor ponies have seen tough times, but I'd really like to try to save as many of them as I can. Despite sounding so awful, most look like they'd just need to be washed, except the moldy interior problem. And the really awful, persistent smell. :huh: As a test case, I soaked a bunch of the hard plastic brushes, combs, etc. in warm soapy water for hours, rinsed, and soaked in vinegar for about a day, and it made only a little difference. So I'm pretty intimidated by trying to save the actual ponies. I tried scrubbing a Posey and noticed that the plastic itself seemed like it had absorbed the mildewy smell and had little black spots that wouldn't come off. Not encouraging. :(

I'm in a particular bind at the moment as I'm extremely busy, and don't have time to work on such a huge project. And I don't have anywhere safe to store them until they get a little cleaned up and smelling better. So I was hoping there would be a "first pass" sort of thing I could try, so that they can go in storage until I have time to really work on them. But even if that isn't realistic, I'm all ears on how to clean them up! I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Very challenging pony cleaning project - advice wanted!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 10:36:07 PM »
If they're mildewy and moldy on the inside, the only way to change that is to take off their heads (carefully!) and clean them out.  After that, I would say clean them as well as you can and then store them in ziplock bags with a fabric softener sheet once they're completely dry inside and out (otherwise they'll just mold all over again).  I used to work at a library and that's what we would do with books that came back reeking of cigarette smoke.  I would think the fabric softener sheet should help with the smell on the ponies as well.  Since you said you don't have time right now to deep clean them, by the time you get to them hopefully they won't stink anymore.  Though if anyone has tried the fabric softener sheets and found that they do more harm than good, please correct me as I've not tried it on ponies before and would hate to suggest something that would destroy Candyfloss' collection.

Since you said you were busy, I understand if it isn't possible, but pictures might be helpful for identifying specific cleaning needs.  :)

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 04:47:29 AM »
Another idea:  since you said you don't really have the time for intense cleaning, the most important thing is get them all out of those bags!  Do you have a large dry area you could spread them out in, a storage room or something? If not, put them into those storage boxes that fit under beds, standing up, with a tub of stay-dry(a shed mousture absorber, most dollar stores carry some verion) inside each tote, that will dry them out some and at least keep them from getting worse until you have the time you need to clean them properly. 

For the ponywear, I'd suggest dumping anything cloth into lingerie washing bags and running it through the washing machine on delicate, then spreading them out flat on towels to dry.  For small accessories,unless the have stickers, dump them in soapy water, scrub them down, and once they are dry, throw them into zip locks with baking soda, that'll help get rid of the smell too.

If there are other collectors in the area, you might see about arranging a pony cleaning party,   offering some of the ponies or accessories as a reward?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 04:50:57 AM by lunar_scythe »
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline PJSparkles

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Here comes PJ Sparkles!
    • View Profile
    • (A) Tumblr :)
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 05:02:46 AM »
I've never had to do cleaning that intense, but for stubborn spots that just wont come out with normal cleaning i use a small amount of 100% acetone on a q-tip. if it doesn't seem to do anything, I make sure to rinse the area thoroughly to prevent it from causing any damage to the plastic.

moldy smells can be difficult to get out in general. I think the idea of putting the ponies in a plastic bag with a fabric sheet after cleaning any surface dirt from the inside and outside could help with that.

Also, the idea of a pony-cleaning party is very enticing, at least to neat freaks like me who like a challenge :P If you live pretty close to a major city, that might be something to look into, especially since you're so busy. More hands means more efficiency!

Offline DappledHazel

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 06:03:40 AM »
Maybe this will help?: http://www.mlptp.net/index.php?threads/tutorial-mold-removal-and-prevention-for-those-in-humid-climates.77646/
I'm not sure.. Hopefully they all get saved.. If you don't got time and you don't want all of them you can get rid of some of them, I'm sure collectors with time could save them.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 06:48:48 AM »
I agree, first step is to get them out of the bags and let them dry out, unless they are already dried out and were put in the bags later. You'll probably have to clean them in batches because you have so many, and I agree, if you're near other pony people, you may be able to get help. I find cleaning ponies to be fun XD

I was going to say I'd worry about the smell last; cleaning and sunfading may take care of that, BUT, if you're cleaning them in batches, maybe you don't want them sitting around smelling for who knows how long. Maybe you can rinse them all in a bathtub to get off the superficial dirt and mold, then let them dry out and store with something like baking soda until you can get to all of them?

After an initial rinse:

I'm also not sure that soaking for hours is really necessary or even a good idea if you have colors that bleed (like Surprise and Shady's hair). I've cleaned a small batch of mildew-covered ponies and they did come out great after some scrubbing inside and out, but it's a lot of work. After scrubbing, I also had to sunfade out the mildew stains and pigment from the colors that bled from the moisture in storage. That didn't take too long, but still, for a lot of ponies, that's a lot of space and time.
Body with mildew stains, head after sunfading:

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 11:37:49 AM »
You don't mention any specifics of your situation (location, budget, supplies, etc) so I don't know if this is possible for you, but if I had to do solo triage on 500L of ponies ASAP, this is how I would do it. It won't solve the mildew problem, but it will keep it from getting worse and cut down on the smell until you have time to treat them properly.

Empty all the bags and sort out any ponies with fade-able hair or other sun sensitivities. Separate out any textiles.
Put everything else in a single layer out on the balcony for a sun bath. Sunlight is an excellent disinfectant and doesn't require getting the ponies wet which would add days or weeks to the turnaround. The fresh air will help with the worst of the smell too.
Go to the store and get an appropriate number of storage containers (long and low), the same number of tubs of DampRid or equivalent, several jumbo boxes of baking soda, and some activated carbon packets from the aquarium aisle. (Bonus if I can get the DampRid with the charcoal already in it.)
Put the DampRid tubs and carbon sachets in each storage container. Add a generous layer of baking soda in the bottom.
Gather the ponies up and stand them in the containers, tetris-ing them in without overstuffing.
Close them up, tuck them away, and sigh heavily. Remind myself that since they're portioned into smaller containers, it won't seem as daunting when I get out one bin as a time for a serious clean up.
Hand wash ponywear and line dry in the sunshine.
Machine wash plushes on delicate cycle in a lingerie bag, then give up them up as a bad job when they take a month to dry and get mildewy all over again. (I'm not a plush fan. :P)

Long term, you're going to want to give the ponies a serious scrub inside and out with antimicrobial soap and allow time for them to thoroughly dry. Sunlight can be your friend for bleaching out any residual mildew stains, but unless you're in the southern hemisphere that might leave you waiting until after winter. I agree that delegating such a huge task out to local ponypeople would be much better than tackling it alone, but either way, it's going to take quite a time investment to get them all springtime fresh again. Best of luck.

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 12:02:11 PM »
Random thought...but could you possibly pop their heads off and stick them into a dishwasher or a pillowcase and throw them in the washing machine?  If it's as many as you say, the more common ones that wouldn't be damaged by that may do good with a quick run through.  I knew a collector who used to pop all her ponies in the washing machine.  ^_^  Good luck!!!  <3
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:04:18 PM by cloud_weaver »

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline Candyfloss

• McDonald's Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 10:42:32 PM »
Wow, thank you all so much for your help! :D These are FANTASTIC tips! You guys are amazing. It's really encouraging to think there's actually something that can be done about these poor ponies - honestly, it's felt a bit hopeless and insurmountable, so I'm really happy to get all this advice. I'll try to start with a small batch soon and post back when I have some results. :)

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 08:12:59 PM »
I second the triage idea - just get them into better storage - baking soda and/or silica packets will always help!  One bin at a time, you can go and clean them. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 08:59:42 AM »
I third the triage and baking soda/etc idea. Also, the mildew smell may improve tremendously once the ponies are aired out. I've had perfectly clean ponies before that picked up the mildew smell while in storage, and after a few weeks of airing they were fine. Obviously yours will need more cleaning work, but don't be discouraged if the smell persists after the cleaning - there's a good chance it will fade later.

Also, take "before" pictures. You'll be glad of them when you've gone through all the work to save the ponies and see how much of a difference you've made. Good luck!!

Elf

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 10:46:59 AM »
I third the triage and baking soda/etc idea. Also, the mildew smell may improve tremendously once the ponies are aired out. I've had perfectly clean ponies before that picked up the mildew smell while in storage, and after a few weeks of airing they were fine. Obviously yours will need more cleaning work, but don't be discouraged if the smell persists after the cleaning - there's a good chance it will fade later.

Also, take "before" pictures. You'll be glad of them when you've gone through all the work to save the ponies and see how much of a difference you've made. Good luck!!

Elf

Agreed on the pictures! Some great advice in this thread, and while your cleaning project sounds like a lot of work, it sounds pretty fun too! I know a lot of us would love to hear about your progress, both from a community standpoint and from a learning standpoint. :)
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Karma

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Unofficial My Little Pony Museum
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 10:55:26 AM »
I love oxy-clean. Get a tub of warm water, put oxyclean detergent in the bottom, inside the ponies, etc. let them sit, repeat. It's worked wonders for me.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 05:20:52 PM »
I love oxy-clean. Get a tub of warm water, put oxyclean detergent in the bottom, inside the ponies, etc. let them sit, repeat. It's worked wonders for me.

This - or Vanish Oxy Action (pink tub). Brilliant for really manky ponies, gets rid of that kind of mold too  ;)  Also Cif cream (normal lemon) if you can get it is excellent for surface cleaning without causing any damage.  Do let your ponies dry out thoroughly too ,  Sunfading will remove the stains from that kind of mold and help kill off any remaining mold. You dont need lots of sunshine - yes it helps it work more quickly, but any natural light will do it. Sit them in a window that gets the most light , even in the winter, even on cloudy days, it will work (I live in rainy UK and I've done this a load of times successfully :) )
Baking soda, fabric softener sheets and (I know this sounds gross) Kitty litter  are all effective for getting rid of the smell.
Storing with silica gel packets helps get rid of damp etc too
As for the smell, it will fade if you use any of those methods (and other ones mentioned in this thread) . It can take a while TBH if they are that bad but its not impossible to save them :relaxed:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 06:42:42 PM »
I have nothing to add to the excellent advice above but yet please take and post pics!!!
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal