collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ebay Offer Etiquette  (Read 941 times)

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Ebay Offer Etiquette
« on: October 31, 2015, 02:37:00 PM »
Is it an acceptable practice to email a seller an offer for an item they have listed as a "Buy It Now" when they don't have a "Best Offer" option? There's a seller who has a book that I really want. In fact they have 11 copies of it, and they aren't selling at all. 1 copy has been listed for a couple months, and for some reason they added 10 more about 5 days ago. They want $30.00 per book plus shipping, and I'd be willing to pay $20.00 plus shipping. Would it be rude to email that offer since they don't have a "Best Offer" option?

Offline flying_narwhal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
Re: Ebay Offer Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 03:22:39 PM »
In general, it is safe to assume that if there is not best offer option on the listing the seller is not interested in entertaining offers. If they had wanted to haggle they would have enabled that option. Some sellers are more open than others, but some will get very annoyed if you send unsolicited offers (it may be against eBay policy to do so as well, I'm not 100% sure). As someone who regularly sells on eBay, I personally get irritated when people send me offers on listings with no such option, it can come across as tacky. In some instances I've had people badger me to the point that I've blocked them, after politely declining their unsolicited offers on multiple occasions (it is annoying when someone tells you you're item is priced too high and will not sell unless you sell it to them for a cheap price). When the seller wants to reduce the price they will do so. I would personally watch and see if the price drops later or look elsewhere for a better deal.

Hope this helps!

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 09:50:47 PM »
Yes ,is totally fine , they will actually have a way to respond with an offer, Ebay has that enabled now :)
all they can do is say no, or ignore the message :)
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 05:22:36 AM »
Hmm . . . I think it's worth a try. As an Ebay seller myself, I sympathize with flying_narwhal; I actually haven't had the experience of someone badgering me with offers and such, but that could get really annoying. A lowball offer on an auction I didn't have a best offer option on would also annoy me. But it sounds like you're offering a reasonable price and I'm sure you'd be polite when you message them. Like Houston Collector said, I'm pretty sure we as sellers can send you back a message with the stated offer price. There's a good chance they could turn you down (when I make offers on regular Make An Offer auctions I always feel like the sellers want to stick with a super-high price), but it's worth a try ^.^

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 10:43:15 AM »
As a seller, I don't mind if someone makes me an offer when I am not using the "Best Offer" tool.

If I'm not using "Best Offer," I'm usually not considering any offers lower than the BIN.  I'll email the person back and let them know.

However, if someone is really rude or tries to bully me...or starts whining...I get annoyed.  Depending on what is said, I may add that person to my block list (it has to be really bad for me to block someone...)

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 04:15:26 AM »
Ebay allows an option now where you can send a best offer in a message  (at least ebay Uk does . I would think ebay US is the same from the comments here) so as far as ebay is concerned its ok..but  flying Narwhal is right too - some sellers do not like people making offers if they haven't added a best offer option themselves.
I have been irritated by people asking me to sell HTF items for really low prices in the past so personally I usually just watch the item and see if the seller adds a best offer option or drops the price. In my own listings I only add the best offer option to items where I would be willing to drop the price- if there is no best offer option on my own listings then I'm usually not going to lower it any further.
Still your offer is reasonable and you aren't trying to lowball the seller , so maybe it wouldn't hurt to send a polite message and let them know at the same time that you understand if they cant/don't accept your offer :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 03:35:30 PM »
Thanks all! I left the seller the following message:

"Would you be willing to take $15.00 (U.S. currency) + the stated shipping for this item? I know you don't have the "Best Offer" option enabled, but figured I'd ask.

Take Care."

We'll see what happens.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 05:58:54 PM »
I'm happy to take offers, so long as it's not a lowball. What drives me absolutely, homicidally, insanely crazy... is this:

"if there are no bids, can I buy it for the starting bid?"

NO. You. Can't. If you like the opening bid, BID ON IT!

Sometimes, if someone has already won some items and is picking them up from my house, I will entertain offers on other BIN or ended items. But that message drives me batty!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal