collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Variation?  (Read 944 times)

Offline RustyGusty

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Variation?
« on: October 26, 2015, 10:47:44 AM »
Found a common G1 adult pony at a second hand store. Can't remember which one since I didn't buy it. But it had unusually long hair just for the top part, you know the bangs or whatever it's called for ponies. Doesn't look custom re-haired. Is this an unusual variation? How common is it?

Offline Featherwurm

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Featherwurm Graphics
Re: Variation?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 11:17:05 AM »
Mm, hard to say without knowing which pony, but I'd think it's probably not a variant, not all G1s have short forelocks.  A number of the later lines seem like they skipped that (especially if part of the feature was something about the hair) and the year one ponies have forelocks the same length as the mane, think Butterscotch, Snuzzle etc.

If the forelock was longer than the rest of the hair... that is pretty weird.  I'd wonder if it was a haircut on a pony that was supposed to have long hair?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 02:17:18 PM »
You would need to point us in the direction of the actual pony before anyone can answer this for you. If you remember the symbol it had perhaps you could try www.mlpland.com to identify.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline RustyGusty

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 02:36:09 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Ok let's see what I can remember, there was another pony there too that I didn't buy so I may be mixing them up. But this one might have been yellow with green hair. I think it was an early pony, one of the more common ones with no special styled hair, just onecolored hair. It costed about a dollar or so, I thought it was too much.

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 02:53:57 PM »
to be honest, *any* G1 pony for $1, as long as it isn't covered in marks, is worth it. :)  even baits usually go for $1+.

here's a list of the yellow G1 ponies, with pictures, it might help you figure out who the pony is:  http://strawberryreef.com/Index/G1/yellow.html
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 03:23:38 PM »
Where are you located? It also helps to know which country you're in. Like others have said ID'ing it first helps us to tell you if there can be some subtle differences. Yellow and green isn't the most common color combo you probably saw wind drifter who is a flutter, they have loooooong manes if uncut. Don't pass up ponies for a dollar. Ever. LOL.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 10:29:09 AM »
The first one that popped in my head was Bubbles.? But I'm in the US...  :blush:

Yeah the symbols and your location would help out! :)

Offline ghouldilocks

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 12:53:36 PM »
Too much? I would LOVE to find a G1 for just $1, especially in the wild! I usually find them for up to $5, which is more than worth it to me.  ;)

If you happened to be around that area again, you should try seeing if the ponies are still there and snapping a photo for us! Honestly, I'm one of those compulsive weirdos who buys up all ponies I come across in the wild, even if I already have them in my collection...I figure there is always someone either here or on eBay who would want to buy or trade.  ^.^
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 12:55:36 PM by ClawleenMeowlen »

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 01:41:49 PM »
Yellow with green hair makes me think automatically of Magic Star but some places only had her with fur so location is important. You said dollars so I am guessing North America but I may be wrong, I know other places use dollars as well.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline RustyGusty

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 11:45:03 AM »
Sweden actually, I just recounted into dollars to post here. And it was a regular pony I forgot to say, I have never seen a flutter pony in real life so far, but thanks for the good guesses. I looked around the net and I thought it was Magic Star like Taffeta suggested, until I went back to the store and it turns out it was not yellow at all! Silly me, it was pink. I did a search and it's called Raspberry Jam.

I found several pictures but nowhere does it have such long "forelocks" on any
releases of Raspberry Jam. It's twice as long as it should be, like the rest of the hair.

It just looks really cool in my opinion. I know this isn't exactly amazing, but is this a thing among pony collectors? Would anyone pay well for a variation like this? Or does this appear on every now and then on G1 ponies?

It does have an ink spot on top of it's left ear so it's not perfect.

And could it be re-haired? I'm thinking it isn't, since I found it in this second hand store where I've never seen any customized ones before, and there's nothing else unusual about it. And it feels like regular ponyhair. Does the hair that people use to re-hair ponies have different feel to it? Could you tell it apart?

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 12:03:27 PM »
I didn't think Sweetberry ponies have any known variations, but a previously unknown Spain one wouldn't surprise me; the known Spain/NC ones kind of skip around through the years...

Actually, the one on the My Little Pony Scrapbook page doesn't show a forelock, either!

http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/raspberry_jam.htm
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline RustyGusty

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 12:11:54 PM »
Yes and I've looked around some more and it appears it's not that unusual for this pony afterall. So much for my variation then. Well thanks for all the replies people. Atleast it's probably not rehaired then. :)

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 01:46:13 PM »
I believe the ones stamped with HONG KONG have forelocks.  The ones stamped with CHINA do not have forelocks, or the forelock is as long as the mane hair, depending on how it's styled.

This Hong Kong / China variation happens a lot.   Where there are both versions produced, you'll usually find a lot of Hong Kong versions in North America,  whereas European countries received China ones.     

Hope this helps! 

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 07:39:23 AM »
Yes and I've looked around some more and it appears it's not that unusual for this pony afterall. So much for my variation then. Well thanks for all the replies people. Atleast it's probably not rehaired then. :)
We love a good mystery! Stump us any time. Does she still smell? Sweet Berry Ponies smell absolutely fantastic!!

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+522)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 04:51:11 AM »
I would hate to think it could possibly have been one of the Mail orders.... But outside the US probably doubtful, but long forelock makes me immediately think of Dabble & Scribble.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal