collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Need recommendations for treats from London!  (Read 1494 times)

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Need recommendations for treats from London!
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 10:24:31 AM »
yes, actually.

I know there are a few tea houses there that will be worthwhile going into.

Just ask him to look around for one :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

flyawayraven

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 12:43:23 PM »
See if he can get you a Cadbury's Roses assortment (do they still make those? O.o)! Very nice variety of chocolates in there and they only come in the Roses tin.

And I second Smarties! They're like M&M's but with a sweeter coating and they come in bright neon colors.

Sadly some of the other foods I can think of are cookies so I don't think they'd work for you. >_<

Edit: He might be able to find some Rooibos teas for you. I know you can get plenty stateside but he might be able to find some blends we don't normally get here.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 07:01:09 PM »
Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate! They have the best chocolate over there! And if you can get legit Swiss chocolate, DO IT. :D

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 10:02:18 PM »
I've gotten Jelly Babies and Dip Dabs in trades before. I'm not sure if they are gluten-free but they are yummy.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 10:21:11 PM »
Any of the Cadbury chocolate is yummy, and your husband can buy it in any supermarket. If he's got space in his luggage, I'd have him check out the big tins of Cadbury Roses. They're different kinds of chocolates, many with cream fillings, and they're lovely. He'd have to check the label, though, as I'm not sure they're wheat-free. As for tea, Twinings has a large selection of non-caffeine teas, fruity and herbal. Again, he can pick up some of that in any supermarket. Lastly, if you like Christmas, have him check out the cards. Traditional British Christmas cards are beautiful.

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2015, 10:34:26 PM »
Add one more person agreeing with the suggestions about Cadbury chocolate and about looking at the cards. We have a decent selection of Cadbury chocolate up here in Canada and they make some very interesting bars. Plus, the UK get some that even we don't have. As for the cards, they have really gorgeous ones. My aunt use to send various cards to my grandma throughout the year and they were very different from what we get here / what I've seen in the states.

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 10:38:58 AM »
See, im seeing smarties and going o.0 umm..no!

That isn't UK exclusive--you can get those here no problem, and my American friend said that you can get them in the US at specialty shops.  She wanted me to send over maple candies.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Katgyrl

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Just a pony and her sewing machine...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2015, 10:35:51 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm definitely keeping my hubby busy with all my requests. ;) Today is his last full day in London! I'll have to take a pic and show you all what he manages to bring home for me. :D

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2015, 03:17:25 AM »
Thanks pinkkittywinks! Yes, celiac is what I have too. It's a pain it I'm sure I'll be glad later in life for all the label reading when I don't develop a more serious illness. Good to know about Cadbury, they dis have clearly labeled ingredients on their website which is awesome.

*high fives fellow coeliac*

I'm so glad I could help ^.^ and you are right to look after yourself too :hug:

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Princess Lala

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2015, 04:12:43 AM »
I'm glad I live in an area where we literally have specialty shops for international foods scattered throughout the area! I've had the Smarties, we sell them in a shop here in Frisco! They are indeed like M&Ms but in a fun tube with pastel colors! If you have a gluten allergy, lean towards the fruity candies!

Also you will be blown away by the smooth quality of  international chocolates if you have never had them before- ever since I tried a Kvikk lunsj bar when my family went home to Norway and brought some back I have hated  almost every American brand chocolate. I'm sure the UK has some great chocolates there!!!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 04:16:58 AM by Princess Lala »

Offline GazeboMouse

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2015, 10:46:00 AM »
Wow, thanks aluke for the links, those were actually super helpful! And they all look gluten free! Yes! I actually have never seen anything Cadbury except the cream filled Easter eggs, which I'm not a big fan off. Those candies sound super yummy!

Remember the Cadbury's Cream Eggs sold in America are different to the UK version, although now Cadburys has been taken over by an American company they've changed the choc it;s made from, not Dairy Milk any more, which has cased great outrage over here. they're as culturally important over here as Red London buses or football!

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2015, 09:39:47 PM »
Wow, thanks aluke for the links, those were actually super helpful! And they all look gluten free! Yes! I actually have never seen anything Cadbury except the cream filled Easter eggs, which I'm not a big fan off. Those candies sound super yummy!

Remember the Cadbury's Cream Eggs sold in America are different to the UK version, although now Cadburys has been taken over by an American company they've changed the choc it;s made from, not Dairy Milk any more, which has cased great outrage over here. they're as culturally important over here as Red London buses or football!
Um, woah. That's insane! Cadbury chocolates are the first thing I think of to ask people to get me from the U.K.! They can't change!

flyawayraven

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2015, 11:43:38 AM »
Yep Hershey bought them up and they also have the exclusive rights to import and sell Cadbury in the US. :( I've heard from British ex-pats living in the States that the Cadbury bars here taste completely different because of it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal