collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you ever take a Hiatus from Pony collecting?  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Neon Sparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Do you ever take a Hiatus from Pony collecting?
« on: October 04, 2015, 05:48:27 PM »
Just wondering if any others experience this.

I still try to keep up on Pony news when I think about it or hear about something, but I haven't been actively collecting as of lately, mainly as I haven't really been compelled by anything new coming out lately and because I've kinda started to slow down a little and keep things to a minimum in order to keep my Pony collection from reaching it's limit to what I have space for in my house, lol. If I happen to see something I like once in a blue moon I would still pick it up and I don't consider myself to have "stopped" collecting, I just haven't been as active as I used to. I also haven't frequented the forums as often as I used to either, but I do still lurk from time to time.

I've also gotten into Star Wars and WWE as of lately, so alot of my extra fun money has been going towards those. I still treasure my existing collection but I just feel as if I've taken a break for awhile until I see something else that interests me.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Do you ever take a Hiatus from Pony collecting?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 06:10:06 PM »
Yeah. I'm taking one right now. One, in July I bought one pony that's outta my normal price range, so by my own rules, I have to wait a couple of months before I am allowed a new one. Two my computer is jacked up so I am saving for a new one.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Neon Sparkle

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 06:18:00 PM »
Two my computer is jacked up so I am saving for a new one.

Funny You mention that, I'm currently doing the same. Mine is so old it's not even worth putting more money into to get fixed.

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 06:21:23 PM »
I take brakess all the time. And it's normal.
I can't see how anyone can like one thing all the time for ever.
So yeah it's normal and helthy really.
:accomplished:

Offline BuckinghamAlice

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Lost in a Curious Dream
    • View Profile
    • NovelHeart Pony Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 06:28:18 PM »
Not with ponies so far, as I've only been collecting for a short time, but with other collections I definitely have.  That's where I am with American Girl dolls right now.  It's totally normal, I think.  It probably makes you enjoy your collection more in the long run because you aren't buying things for the sake of just buying and having, only getting the things you really like.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you to Bekuno and tailrustedtealeaf for the adoptables!
*~More NovelHeart/Pony Tumblr/Instagram~*

Offline Saber-Toothed Crow

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 06:29:20 PM »
I do take breaks as well. It's easier to resist when there isn't too much new coming out that's appealing. And I put limits on my online spending, because it's so easy to get carried away and over spend. And sometimes life just sweeps you up and you need to set collecting aside for a while. But I always have my existing collection to keep me company in the meantime!

Thanks Jennifer2004 for my sig and Shaiyeh for my avi! ~formerly Crowpriest~

Offline loverofbalto

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 06:41:08 PM »
I know that feeling.  Money has been tight, the space is limited, and I realized there are only certain things I would like to collect.  I want ones that are show accurate or have neat gimmicks.  I have my favorites for Equestria Girls, I have a decent collection of Funkos, and then my brushables and blindbags.  Then I have my select G3's and my collection of G1s in a box. 

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 07:12:09 AM »
Oh yeah... I don't buy very much anyhow these days.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline gold.standard

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 08:03:51 AM »
I take breaks when there is a big thing I want to save up for.
Earlier this year I took a big break, but I don't know if that counts because all the money saved up went to Bronycon instead of ponies on the internet, hahaah.
     But yeah, when I'm not on a break, I only get a couple at a time and they have to be ones I really really want or I usually grab some baits and clean them up (which it is surprising to me what some people consider bait and to me is a perfectly fine pony)and hold off for a while.
    After October I'm taking a huge break to save up for the sewing machine I really want (to make ponies with, of course). I just think its a normal thing to do really. Buying new ponies, or anything really is a quick way to having too much to quickly to properly  handle it
I love art and ponies so much!!

Currently seeking ponies: Galaxy, Dewdrop Dazzle, Flitterheart, Twinkleshine, Sweetie Swirl, Sweetpop, Cherry Treats, Buttons, Baby Lucky Clover, Swirly Whirly, Tutti Fruiti, Sweet Clover

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 08:43:29 AM »
Yes...

I collected MLP madly between 1995 and 2000. Some really bad things happened then combined with my starting uni, and I kinda ended up out of the pony community and not collecting. I got into Jem at that time, so since then I've had two collections. MLP has been sort of in and out for me since 2000, especially since I began learning Japanese and focusing on my studies and stuff.

I am going to be trading and buying less now I'm back at uni although I wouldn't call this a hiatus necessarily this time. I guess my last hiatus was about 4 years, since it coincided with starting my MA. I think it's healthy to balance things and sometimes finances prevent collecting.

I think hiatus means a break from the community, though. Unless you sell your whole collection in hiatus periods, you still have that collection and still consider it a collection, so you aren't really not a pony collector in that time. You are just saving money a bit ;) If you stop visiting forums and discussing MLP, though, that's a hiatus. At least it is to me :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Dreamer

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 11:02:27 AM »
Well, since I only collect what I really like, it's like I'm always on hiatus  :P

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 11:42:48 AM »
Yes, sometimes I take a break from ponies altogether because other things catch my interest (this time it was James Herbert books!) and I like to go with the flow. Also it's nice to leave something for a while and come back to it later, then when you 'rediscover' it, you appreciate it all the more. Case in point, I didn't bother with ponies for a good few months and just got back into the community a few weeks back with rekindled enthusiasm; it feels good! :D

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 12:09:40 PM »
I dont buy/sell/trade anywhere near as much as I used to but thats because my collection is at a point I am only looking for a handful of items or very hard to find things, rather than because I dont want to. As to taking a hiatus from the community not in recent years; I did for several years before joining the Arena but that was more just being too busy elsewhere to be part of an online community as I was still collecting. I guess I just love it too much around here.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline StarDapple

• Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 12:54:27 PM »
I am on a pony hiatus now myself. I lost a lot of money when I went to university last year, so now I'm trying to recoup my losses. I hope to get back into collecting next year maybe.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 01:11:31 PM »
I took a REALLY long haitus, like about 4 or 5 years from collecting when I got really into anime for a while. I rediscovered my love for ponies when I decided to dig out my pony collection again and display them.

I do go on hiatuses from time to time. It'll go a few months without buying much and even disappearing from the Arena, then get back into collecting hardcore again. I think we all need a break sometimes so we don't burn ourselves out. It's good to have more than one hobby to keep things fresh and interesting, so I balance my pony collecting with anime, video games, and reading. :)
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal