collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

What's your gender?

Male
Female
Neither
Both
Other (feel free to specify!)

Author Topic: I'm going to be nosey! Gender identity...?  (Read 12549 times)

Offline Jupetto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Trouble maker
    • View Profile
Re: I'm going to be nosey! Gender identity...?
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2015, 10:20:32 AM »
I don't like that whole "male brains" idea because didn't science prove that male and female brains are the same. Anyways I have known more fellow autistic people who are asexual than transmen.
Yeah, as an autistic person (and also asexual, so I'm chiming in) myself, I really don't like the whole "male" brain thing. It hasn't been proven, and it really just shoves fem and nb autistic people under the bus. It also just reenforces the gender binary which is a social construct not a biological thing. So yeah . o. Thank you for saying something!

Male and female brains are actually different. The Corpus Callosum is thicker in female fetuses. Male brains have more whitematter and female brains have more grey matter. Etc. A study has been made that concluded that female-to-male brains had indeed the same amount of white matter as male brains. While male-to-female brains had white matter that were neither masculine or feminine. (link) I find neuroscience really interesting, I don't know where people get the 'male and female brains are the same' from.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Always looking for AJ stuff!

Offline The_Loner

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • My Little Pony fan
    • View Profile
    • Dream Planet - The Toys
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2015, 02:18:40 PM »
I'm quite tickled to see so many other users are autistic as well! It makes me feel so giddy. We should all be buddies. :relaxed:
Hehe, I agree :)

I was reading an interesting discussion the other day about autism and gender.  It basically said that since autistic people have problems with social functioning, and gender is essentially a social construct, that's why a lot of autistic people experience gender differently and struggle with the gender binary.

(And yes, I agree!  We should be buddies!)
That's very interesting and makes sense.

Yeah, I've always found it really interesting too!
My best friend is autistic and is aro-ace with some gender feels. And another good buddy of mine is autistic and is aro-bi, and is non binary. Out of my friend group, about 80% of us are autistic, and roughly half of us experience some sort of gender feels and aren't straight.
Clearly this isn't something that can be applied to all autistic people, just my personal experience.
I don't have all the expressions down yet and am not sure what aro-ace and aro-bi means?

This is somewhat of an eye-opener for me as I have never (that I know of) met other people who are like me on these matters and I actually feel very alien-like in this world because it's like I'm the only one like me. It is really cool to find out there are so many right here who have similarities :)

Male and female brains are actually different. The Corpus Callosum is thicker in female fetuses. Male brains have more whitematter and female brains have more grey matter. Etc. A study has been made that concluded that female-to-male brains had indeed the same amount of white matter as male brains. While male-to-female brains had white matter that were neither masculine or feminine. (link) I find neuroscience really interesting, I don't know where people get the 'male and female brains are the same' from.
I did not know there actually is a difference in male and female brains. That link was very interesting reading!

Offline gold.standard

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2015, 02:28:57 PM »

Yeah, I've always found it really interesting too!
My best friend is autistic and is aro-ace with some gender feels. And another good buddy of mine is autistic and is aro-bi, and is non binary. Out of my friend group, about 80% of us are autistic, and roughly half of us experience some sort of gender feels and aren't straight.
Clearly this isn't something that can be applied to all autistic people, just my personal experience.
I don't have all the expressions down yet and am not sure what aro-ace and aro-bi means?

This is somewhat of an eye-opener for me as I have never (that I know of) met other people who are like me on these matters and I actually feel very alien-like in this world because it's like I'm the only one like me. It is really cool to find out there are so many right here who have similarities :) [/quote]

Oh, no problem, it takes a while to get them all down. I did the appreviations a little backwards, whoops.
But anyways. Aro-ace is aromantic (does not experience romantic attraction) and asexual. and aro-bi is aromantic and bisexual.

Who you are attracted to is more than just sexual attraction, there is also romantic attraction!
Myself for example, I am asexual, but I am romantically attracted to genders both my own and others. So I consider myself to be a biromantic asexual!

I love art and ponies so much!!

Currently seeking ponies: Galaxy, Dewdrop Dazzle, Flitterheart, Twinkleshine, Sweetie Swirl, Sweetpop, Cherry Treats, Buttons, Baby Lucky Clover, Swirly Whirly, Tutti Fruiti, Sweet Clover

Offline The_Loner

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • My Little Pony fan
    • View Profile
    • Dream Planet - The Toys
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2015, 02:52:09 PM »
Oh, no problem, it takes a while to get them all down. I did the appreviations a little backwards, whoops.
But anyways. Aro-ace is aromantic (does not experience romantic attraction) and asexual. and aro-bi is aromantic and bisexual.

Who you are attracted to is more than just sexual attraction, there is also romantic attraction!
Myself for example, I am asexual, but I am romantically attracted to genders both my own and others. So I consider myself to be a biromantic asexual!

Ah ok, thanks for explaining :) I'm aromantic and asexual but I didn't know those abbreviations.

Offline gold.standard

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2015, 02:58:13 PM »

Ah ok, thanks for explaining :) I'm aromantic and asexual but I didn't know those abbreviations.

No prob! I'm happy to help!
I love art and ponies so much!!

Currently seeking ponies: Galaxy, Dewdrop Dazzle, Flitterheart, Twinkleshine, Sweetie Swirl, Sweetpop, Cherry Treats, Buttons, Baby Lucky Clover, Swirly Whirly, Tutti Fruiti, Sweet Clover

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2015, 07:28:22 PM »
I am female :)

Offline WickedWonderland

• Trade Count: (+215)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Okie Dokie Lokie
    • View Profile
    • Flickr - Pony Sales
« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2015, 08:35:35 PM »
I feel female through and through, but I have masculine traits I suppose? I like dressing up in suits sometimes and having short hair sometimes and doing hard physical labor and playing in the dirt with bugs and I really don't get along with feminine girls; only boys and tomboys or butches.

It's really not something I concern myself with. I'm me. Everybody has their unique a mix of gender traits and it's all social constructs anyway. *shrug*
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 07:50:56 PM by WickedWonderland »

Offline wlyteth

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Making a effort to use less exclamation points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2015, 09:19:45 PM »
I'm female, but I struggle a lot with feeling masculine. :/ Even when I wear makeup and dresses I feel mannish and often sit with my legs apart in chairs. (I'm trying to break that habit) When I was a kid I wanted to be a boy, but looking back I don't think it was like being transgender, I think I just wanted to feel better about always playing with Transformers instead of dolls and wearing only "boys" clothes. It wasn't until I was an adult that I got into ponies. I don't relate with female friends very well I find myself wanting to be protective and flirty with them, while also dreaming of a guy that will come by one day and treat me like a princess. I hate having long hair, but when I cut it I feel boyish instead of cute. I like having shaved legs, but most times its not worth the effort. Basically I feel rather butch most of the time and I hate it. This thread isn't about sexual orientation though so I won't elaborate much more.
Sonnet Scroll by Nence

Crocheted and sewn goods Commissions welcome! Instagram: @loftycastlecrafts
Wantlist

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2015, 08:44:35 AM »
I suppose I've always considered myself to be female which is also physically what I am.  In a more nebulous sense I've been more concerned with being who I am as an individual more so than who I am as a gender since we're all more the sum of our respective parts and whatever society/culture thinks should be involved with that.  I think it perhaps this view comes of growing up as a weird kid. :P
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2015, 09:10:39 AM »
I suppose I've always considered myself to be female which is also physically what I am.  In a more nebulous sense I've been more concerned with being who I am as an individual more so than who I am as a gender since we're all more the sum of our respective parts and whatever society/culture thinks should be involved with that.  I think it perhaps this view comes of growing up as a weird kid. :P

Omg I love this. Absolutely love it

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2015, 11:27:36 PM »
I don't know anymore.

Offline rearing_palomino164

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Share a smile at least once a day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2015, 05:40:02 PM »
I'm a girl. I do a lot of tomboy stuff like fix my car and things around the house that a lot of girls would leave to their husbands. Yay farm girl qualities! But I'm def. a female.

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.

Offline stopxmotion

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Support independent film!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2015, 07:54:01 PM »
I am female. I didn't even know all these other things existed. But then again, I think gender is physical.
When I was younger I liked some boy things and never felt confused or different. I have a pair of mens flip flops that I wear every day but I'm still a female. :)
Two more little devils jumped over the wall.
Saying turn her out father, she'll murder us all.
To my fal-de-ral little law-day.

Offline Kittywhiskers

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • Kai, he/him or they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2015, 09:46:57 PM »
I'm AFAB, but tend to feel... kinda masculine? If I had to use a specific word for it I'd probably say demiboy, but just saying I'm a transguy is simpler all around. Demigenders tend to get written off as not really being a thing.

That one day last year where I suddenly felt like an actual girl was an... interesting experience.
Cannot have anything scented in the house, unfortunately. Seeking the unscented, magnetless variant of Thistle Whistle. (And wishing the other Sunny Scent ponies got similar ones, because they're lovely. *sigh*)

AutisticandProudLuna

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2015, 12:20:06 AM »
Just wanted to say how happy I am to see this thread existing every day I log in  :) The vibes are overall so nice and wanting to learn and I feel represented!  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal