collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

How do you most often get from place to place?

I drive my own vehicle
200 (49.4%)
I get a ride with someone else
77 (19%)
I walk wherever I need to go
26 (6.4%)
I ride a bicycle
21 (5.2%)
I take public transportation
67 (16.5%)
I never go anywhere, I just stay home
14 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 340

Author Topic: Round round, get around, I get around  (Read 4566 times)

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Round round, get around, I get around
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2015, 10:44:07 AM »
I'm very happy behind the wheel of my car or my husband's truck.  I LOVE driving...love, love, love it.  We just got back from our 7700 mile trip out West, though, so if we didn't drive a TON in the next couple of days, I may just be ok with that lol.

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2015, 12:11:15 PM »
I've never had a driver's license and there is no public transportation where I live. Also no sidewalks, or bike trails...

I can relate :)
We own a car but while my husband is at work I of course cant ask him to drive me here or there lol. So I take my bike or I walk. Sometimes, if I need to visit another village, I ask my father or my father-in-law to drive me since we dont have sidewalks or bike trails here and taking the big road (which is the shortest) is too dangerous.

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2015, 04:09:48 PM »
I really? Don't have anywhere to go. I live in a very small town where the only things present besides houses are a bar + grill, post office, and bank.
So I believe that most of us either entertain ourselves indoors or drive to other towns.

(Many of which are just as boring, unless you like dead malls and plethoras of mom + pop type of stores.)

As for me? I currently do not drive. I am (slowly) working up the courage to overcome my fear of
getting into a car crash, among other driving related hazards.
If I go somewhere it's usually because my parents drive me there. Which is nice that they'd be willing to do that for me now that I'm grown. I also work from home (selling my artwork and ponies), so this sort of thing is more for recreation.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that my town and the ones around me don't have things like trains or buses.
So no public transportation. (sigh) ((I'd like to take a bus to go places on my own.))
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 04:11:20 PM by Sapphire Rain »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2015, 01:57:42 AM »
As a true Dutchie... a bike ;) Most the country is pretty flat so I'm okay with cycling for half an hour. If it's a longer distance I'll go by car or public transport.

Offline Lore-Lei

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2015, 05:03:03 AM »
I use public transport for longer distances, but if it's just going somewhere in town, I take my cycle. I refuse to use the cycle on the road of bigger cities though.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 05:09:04 AM by Lore-Lei »

Offline Saber-Toothed Crow

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2015, 12:14:54 PM »
I prefer to walk or bike whenever possible, but I do have my own car when walking or biking isn't a viable option

Thanks Jennifer2004 for my sig and Shaiyeh for my avi! ~formerly Crowpriest~

Offline Bright_Glow

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2015, 12:34:40 PM »
I've never been motivated to learn to drive but I don't miss that at all. When the weather accepts to it I go by bike everywhere but if it's not available than I go by walk or public transport.

I guess that has something with being aspie.

Thanks to SDS and Valerie for my avie and sigs

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2015, 01:13:04 PM »
I mostly use public transport - tube (underground) and bus. I live in London, so having a car would not only be unnecessary, but parking spaces are pretty rare here, so there wouldn't be much point in driving. Public transport is pretty nice here.

I also enjoy walking. From my new flat, I can walk to most stores and the library, which is really nice.

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2015, 02:30:51 AM »
I mostly use public transport - tube (underground) and bus. I live in London, so having a car would not only be unnecessary, but parking spaces are pretty rare here, so there wouldn't be much point in driving. Public transport is pretty nice here.

I also enjoy walking. From my new flat, I can walk to most stores and the library, which is really nice.
my thoughts exactly. Budapest is also just like that: our public transportation is very good, going to work by car would not only be more expensive but would also take longer for both hubby and I. and I'd be in serious trouble finding a parking place where I work (the company garage is small and can be used only by higher rank managers).

because of this we don't even have a car. sometimes it would be convenient (for longer distance trips like visiting relatives), but it wouldn't be worth it since we would then have to rent a parking place somewhere near, as I wouldn't dare leave it out on the street (we live in the inner city in a flat, so no garden or own garage for us). if we ever decide to have children I'm sure we'll buy one (his parents live almost 3 hours away, and traveling that long by train is not really for an infant), but I don't think we'll get one before that. too bad because I'd love to have a car (I grew up among cars ^^ ), but I realise it'd be money down the drain.

I also love to walk too, and do it often. most of the time I combine walking with public transportation, and I often just walk certain distances instead of waiting for a connection to go 1-2 stops with it.

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline Bright_Glow

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2015, 03:51:55 AM »

my thoughts exactly. Budapest is also just like that: our public transportation is very good, going to work by car would not only be more expensive but would also take longer for both hubby and I. and I'd be in serious trouble finding a parking place where I work (the company garage is small and can be used only by higher rank managers).

because of this we don't even have a car. sometimes it would be convenient (for longer distance trips like visiting relatives), but it wouldn't be worth it since we would then have to rent a parking place somewhere near, as I wouldn't dare leave it out on the street (we live in the inner city in a flat, so no garden or own garage for us). if we ever decide to have children I'm sure we'll buy one (his parents live almost 3 hours away, and traveling that long by train is not really for an infant), but I don't think we'll get one before that. too bad because I'd love to have a car (I grew up among cars ^^ ), but I realise it'd be money down the drain.

I also love to walk too, and do it often. most of the time I combine walking with public transportation, and I often just walk certain distances instead of waiting for a connection to go 1-2 stops with it.
And every year it's a big challange to travelling by car in Budapest because of the big roadworks.

Thanks to SDS and Valerie for my avie and sigs

Offline Emfen

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2015, 10:00:03 AM »
Ever since I moved out about 3 years ago I have relied heavily on bike/public transport. Last year my landlord locked us out of our storage by blocking access to elevator so I no longer bike and walking kills my feet. :/
~✿~| No longer actively collecting. |~✿~

Offline Featherwurm

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Featherwurm Graphics
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2015, 05:14:06 PM »
I have a Prius of which I am quite fond to get me to and from work and further out.  I like to walk into the downtown area when I can here, but it's very hilly, so even then sometimes I'll drive, especially if I'm in a hurry.  If I'm about on my own time and within walking distance I'll usually walk.  For work and errands, it's the car.  I don't know how to ride a bike, and I live in a relatively small town, so my partner and I like to head into the closest city (Portland) every now and again as well.  I've heard the public transportation in this area isn't very good, and I've only lived in one city (when I was in college) where it was feasible to get around using it.

I was very nervous learning to drive and didn't get my license until I was 19, but over the last 11 years I've become very comfortable driving; which I never though I would as a kid and teen.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 05:17:43 PM by Featherwurm »

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2015, 06:21:28 PM »
I have my own vehicle and it's my to and from work XD I like out in a rural area and work is a good 25 to 30 minutes away XD
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2015, 08:56:44 AM »
I have a Prius of which I am quite fond to get me to and from work and further out.  I like to walk into the downtown area when I can here, but it's very hilly, so even then sometimes I'll drive, especially if I'm in a hurry.  If I'm about on my own time and within walking distance I'll usually walk.  For work and errands, it's the car.  I don't know how to ride a bike, and I live in a relatively small town, so my partner and I like to head into the closest city (Portland) every now and again as well.  I've heard the public transportation in this area isn't very good, and I've only lived in one city (when I was in college) where it was feasible to get around using it.

I was very nervous learning to drive and didn't get my license until I was 19, but over the last 11 years I've become very comfortable driving; which I never though I would as a kid and teen.

I live in Oregon too, and yes, the public transportation (unless you live on the Max line) is HORRIBLE. I also live on the side of a steep hill so I am too lazy to bike up and down it. I would DIE without a vehicle. I've been driving since 15 (23 years ago?) and I'm amazed at how many people don't have licenses or want them. I love to drive when I'm by myself. When I am stressed, I crank up my music and just take a small drive through the gorgeous byways here.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2015, 09:56:35 AM »
Thanks..for yet again getting a song stuck in my head :P

On topic..I don't have the health to constantly go somewhere, but I do try to go for walks, and when I do have to go somewhere typically get a drive.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal