collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Best Detergent for Vintage Clothing? Also: Cornstarch & Plasticizer Leakage  (Read 1541 times)

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
I hit the motherload today and scored quite a number of Strawberry Shortcake dolls at the thrift store.

Definitely played with, but lovingly cared for by their original owner.

The clothing is a bit dingy.  I washed two of the outfits by hand using a mild soap, but can't seem to get all of the soil out (anything that's supposed to be white is an ivory color).

I don't want to use oxiclean because I think it will be too harsh on the fabrics.

Would Woolite work?  What do you use when cleaning doll clothes?

Also: the shoes are experiencing plasticizer leakage.  This is the first time I've used cornstarch to remedy this. I currently have two pairs of shoes in a ziplock back with cornstarch.  Should I leave the shoes in the bag for a certain amount of time, or is a dusting enough?  Should I rinse the cornstarch off, or just shake it off so a coating remains on the shoes?  I realize I'll have to re-dust anything that's experiencing leakage until the plastic is rock-hard.

Thanks for the  help!

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Following.. I actually have the same questions!  :)

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
Oh you're going to love me if you give this stuff a try:

http://dollspart.com/spgm.cfm?dpt=H&srch=24&item=TP-105-1

It's worth the price, promise.  I do not use anything else to clean vintage fabrics.  You use it as a soak, and then you rinse and air dry by hand, it is the best way to clean anything vintage and frail and still get it clean.  I have used this stuff to get stupidly tea-dyed antique clothes back to crisp and beautiful whites.  I had a dress that came to me dark grey, that I thought was originally blue become POWDER PINK, and without a single stain left in it.  It's really awesome, and I'm using this stuff on clothes that are almost 100 years old or more, if I'm doing bisque head doll clothes, so it should be more than fine on your 80's stuff and any of your other finds.  :)  Just watch out for reds, reds can still bleed even on a cold wash.  You want to keep any red dyed items separate and in an ICED wash, and then dried very carefully ( not hanging up, or the dye can run! ), flat and with some paper towels in betwixt any layers to grab any wayward dye. 

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Oh you're going to love me if you give this stuff a try:

http://dollspart.com/spgm.cfm?dpt=H&srch=24&item=TP-105-1

It's worth the price, promise.  I do not use anything else to clean vintage fabrics.  You use it as a soak, and then you rinse and air dry by hand, it is the best way to clean anything vintage and frail and still get it clean.  I have used this stuff to get stupidly tea-dyed antique clothes back to crisp and beautiful whites.  I had a dress that came to me dark grey, that I thought was originally blue become POWDER PINK, and without a single stain left in it.  It's really awesome, and I'm using this stuff on clothes that are almost 100 years old or more, if I'm doing bisque head doll clothes, so it should be more than fine on your 80's stuff and any of your other finds.  :)  Just watch out for reds, reds can still bleed even on a cold wash.  You want to keep any red dyed items separate and in an ICED wash, and then dried very carefully ( not hanging up, or the dye can run! ), flat and with some paper towels in betwixt any layers to grab any wayward dye. 

Oh!  Oh!  Yes!  I already love you!  I will be buying this! 

I'm on their website right now and am in love!  http://www.twinpines.com/index.php?route=common/home

Have you used Booost?

Offline MiRaja

• View Profile
I've used all of their products with great success.  Highly recommend. 

Obviously you can't use remove-zit on later vinyls as many of us have found out, but that's the only problem I've ever had with their products! 

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
I've never used anything from Twin Pines other than the Remove zit, which I stopped using on ponies long ago. :P I use Woolite myself on almost all of my dollies clothes, including vintage. I go very light on the detergent, using only enough to clean the garment.

Let us know how the Twin Pines products work out for you if you order from them!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Offline MiRaja

• View Profile
Whooooa, forgot to reply to this. 

KCherry; the thing with Remove zit is it is FANTASTIC for the sort of vinysl it is formulated to be used on.  The problem with it is that it is no bueno on My Little Pony.  We all know this, poor Cranberry Muffins especially knows this.  I keep her as complete shame that it does not work on MLP, also she's still cute.  However, vintage pre-1970 vinyl dolls?  Oh yeah, it takes sharpy off these dolls, but leaves the color alone.  Before remove-zit came along, it was sun and acne treatment, and with most vintage dolls?  They bleach out in the sun.  Bad.  They turn chalky white, so while you might get that stain out?  You're left with a doll who looks anemic; so trading one flaw for another.  So it's really a great product, just not on MLP.  :)  So, if you've got some vintage baby dolls, either you or Spiffy, or even some fashion dolls and someone has had a sharpie party on them, Remove-zit is the very best product to use on them; hands down. 

Offline flying_narwhal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
Congrats on your score! That is super exciting :)

A word of caution- wash any of the clothes that have red parts separately. I've had them bleed on numerous occasions even when I soaked them in cold water. If any of the red clothing isn't terribly soiled I might suggest not washing those pieces at all since it may be more of a noticeable issue than dirt. Someone may have a suggestion or secret for this but I never seem to have much luck keeping these pieces from bleeding.

Offline MiRaja

• View Profile
Congrats on your score! That is super exciting :)

A word of caution- wash any of the clothes that have red parts separately. I've had them bleed on numerous occasions even when I soaked them in cold water. If any of the red clothing isn't terribly soiled I might suggest not washing those pieces at all since it may be more of a noticeable issue than dirt. Someone may have a suggestion or secret for this but I never seem to have much luck keeping these pieces from bleeding.

This is very true.  Dry cleaning is best for reds.  Dry cleaning is also best for  Taffeta.  Do not wash taffeta in water or you'll have deep regrets about it after doing as much.  @_@  Taffeta is the devil.  ( Not the pony. )  Taffeta the pony is love. 

Offline cuddlebuggy

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
My cousin used to do costume design for movies and suggested a bar of Fels Naptha soap for vintage fabrics.  It's actually not hard to find either.

Thanks to Whippetluv for my sig representing my two girls!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal