collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I hate my username... but not sure if I should change it  (Read 1010 times)

Offline wlyteth

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Making a effort to use less exclamation points!
    • View Profile
I hate my username... but not sure if I should change it
« on: July 15, 2015, 07:10:23 PM »
I love that this forum has the ability to change usernames, most won't let you. Wlyteth is one I've used for a long time on many things around the internet and I'm getting a little tired of it. Plus almost everyone here has cutesy pony related names and I always feel like mine sticks out as random gibberish.

So why not change? I found the word wlyteth it an old book of poetry years ago, its a 14th century english word meaning "look" or "to whistle in their wealth of joy". As I was raising guinea pigs at the time it really meant a lot to me because they are always doing happy squeaks and whistles. :) Though I no longer have any guineas, I am starting my bachelors degree in English next month so I still feel like its a good representation of me. I guess sometimes i wish it was something a little more girly. :sad: 

I just talked myself into a circle so who else wants to share the story behind their username? 
Sonnet Scroll by Nence
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Crocheted and sewn goods Commissions welcome! Instagram: @loftycastlecrafts
Wantlist

Offline billietallent

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • Imma die surrounded by ponies, yarn, and buttons
    • View Profile
Re: I hate my username... but not sure if I should change it
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 08:23:15 PM »
I like it, it's unique.  :) And I love the story behind it!

I've used billietallent in one form or another as a screen name since..... 1998? I think? It's a derivation of a character's name in the Canadian movie Hard Core Logo. The character is played by my favorite actor, Callum Keith Rennie.

And yes, it's also where the band Billy Talent got their name. But when I started using it, the band was still calling themselves Pez...... ;)

Ponykit

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 08:56:00 PM »
I am not the person who picked my username, but I can tell you that the person who picked it for me, picked it because of My Little Pony and the suffix -kit from the Warriors novel series.

And I like your username. It sounds nice in my head.

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 09:10:08 PM »
I really like your user name.  Especially as it has a significant meaning for you. It's lovely.

I do know how you feel though.  I feel mine is a bit stupid.  I started using it at least 15 years ago, when the internet was all chat rooms.   I was obviously way into pokemon then.  I don't dislike pokemon now, but I am in my mid 30s.  But its what my internet friends know me as, so I stick with it.

Offline Lore-Lei

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 10:20:36 PM »
I'd also want to change my username if it wouldn't start with a capital.  :lol:

I have to say, I actually love it. Wlyteth might not sound as 'pony-ish' as, say, Star Twinkle or something, but some ponies very exotic sounding name, like Wysteria. So I'd keep it... but change it to start with a capital W.

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 11:33:09 PM »
How do you pronounce it? I think it has an interesting back story, and it's unique. If you still identify with it I say don't change it unless you already have another name in mind that you think/know you would prefer.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline wlyteth

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Making a effort to use less exclamation points!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 11:53:16 PM »
How do you pronounce it? I think it has an interesting back story, and it's unique. If you still identify with it I say don't change it unless you already have another name in mind that you think/know you would prefer.

Through my research I found that when words from that time period started with "W" the first letter was silent. So I usually pronounce it Lie-teth.

Thanks to everyone for helping me make the decision to keep my username (mostly) as is. Anyone know who I should contact about getting it capitalized? ;P

Post Merge: July 15, 2015, 11:54:29 PM

I like it, it's unique.  :) And I love the story behind it!

I've used billietallent in one form or another as a screen name since..... 1998? I think? It's a derivation of a character's name in the Canadian movie Hard Core Logo. The character is played by my favorite actor, Callum Keith Rennie.

And yes, it's also where the band Billy Talent got their name. But when I started using it, the band was still calling themselves Pez...... ;)

When I saw you in another thread I was wondering if your name had to do with the band since my friend showed me some of their music a few weeks ago.

Post Merge: July 15, 2015, 11:57:08 PM

I am not the person who picked my username, but I can tell you that the person who picked it for me, picked it because of My Little Pony and the suffix -kit from the Warriors novel series.

And I like your username. It sounds nice in my head.

I love those books! Well I haven't read them in a while and I never did start the second part of the series.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:57:08 PM by wlyteth »
Sonnet Scroll by Nence

Crocheted and sewn goods Commissions welcome! Instagram: @loftycastlecrafts
Wantlist

Offline mopthebunny

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Oooh, who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 12:13:45 AM »
I think it's great the way it is! :biggrin:  I love that is has a story behind it ^.^ Having a name like that sounds a lot better to me than a cutesy pony name, anyway :P

I'm quite happy with my unrelated-to-the-topic username XD

Signature by LordBlumiere

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 06:33:33 AM »
Meh I mean I've had my username since 1999 and don't have to fight people for it which is always a godsend when signing up for new stuff. I don't even like wine but I use it for ease and nostalgia.

Yours is different and easy to remember, like mopthebunny said, it's nice to have a nonrelated to topic username.
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

Offline Juliepants

• Crazy Pony Lady
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 06:41:10 AM »
I use this name for everything. It's not very exciting, and I considered trying to pick a ponyish name for this forum. But that would mean trying to pick my favourite pony, which changes on almost a daily basis!!! So I just stuck with this for the pure reason that I couldn't commit to a specific pony!!!

Jules x

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 06:46:19 AM »
I've been using the alias DazzleKitty at many sites for years now. I actually started out at the Arena (and still am on the MLPTP) as DazzleSurprise, one of my favorite G3 ponies. But I decided to change it to DazzleKitty to fit the trend, cuz I use this username at other forums. But this is my main forum.

I love the word Dazzle and I like kitties (though I am more of a dog person, LOL). DazzlePuppy just doesn't have a ring to it, though!

It's just a random name I came up with. No major meaning behind it.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 07:02:58 AM »
I like your username, it's pretty! No need to have a pony-related username if you don't want to.

Mine's just a username I use pretty much everywhere nowadays, haha. I'm used to it, it's never taken and it's easier to keep track of everything when you use one username, y'know? It's derived from the name 'Carrie'. :B

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 10:26:01 AM »
I would avoid changing it.

Its a representation of 'you'.  That is what you are known as.  Its hard to get over that if you suddenly pick something else and wont feel right.

<--ive had this since...oh..2000 ish. Id be a moron if I tried to change it now, especially since that's what people know me as :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 11:24:21 AM »
No need to change it!

My username here is really just something a MLP name generator gave me... So uncreative, I know!  :lol: But I have an username with a meaning unique for me like yours that I've used on a couple of sites - Aulos. It's an ancient Greek double-reeded instrument! Which is just an awesome username for me because I play double reeded instruments, I very love music history and wind instruments of all types and their history, as well as Western and ancient history altogether. Also, it's a cool sounding word.  :lol:

But for some reason even though I already had that username when I joined here, I decided to go with something more MLP-y. But that's not reason for you to feel bad. TBH, even though I didn't know the meaning behind your username, it most certainly didn't stick out to me. There are a variety of usernames here.

|My Collection|

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 11:29:46 AM »
I like your username! I admit I didn't know how to pronounce it, but now that you've clarified I think "lie-teth" sounds very pretty. If you change it at all, maybe you could just take away the W and capitalize it, like you mentioned. I think Lyteth could look and sound very nice. :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal