collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ribbon question concerning the Perm Shoppe  (Read 568 times)

Offline Tiara546

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.tiara546.de
Ribbon question concerning the Perm Shoppe
« on: July 06, 2015, 08:03:11 AM »
Still busy in my ribbon research over here and there's a few issues which I am stuck with at this point.
They are mostly about the ribbons which came with the Perm Shoppe.
http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Perm_Shoppe

Has anyone ever un-packed a Perm Shoppe and can tell me

- the width and length of the thin purple satin ribbons
- the length of the orange grosgrain ribbon?

Also, I wonder if the grosgrain ribbon came in different colours for the european playset, because I once got two of these in a pony lot. They have a width of 10mm / 3/8" but are coloured yellow and blue. They are clearly around the same age as the G1 ponies.
Did you ever hear of that? Or could it be other ponies came with that kind of ribbon, too?
I know that the accessories of the UK Great Hair ponies also have grosgrain in them...

other than that, if you know of any ribbon information/identification websites other than Mylittlewiki, Greatponies and Ponylandtours, it would be of great help if you could post them here.
Thanks in advance! ^_^

« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:04:44 AM by Tiara546 »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Ribbon question concerning the Perm Shoppe
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 12:18:10 PM »
My Crimp and Curl hair Salon (uk box) still has its original ribbons and they are purple and orange. Box is dated 1987 but stamoed inside July 1988 by what I believe was Hasbro, since other boxes I have have similar stamps. Can't get at the bits to measure the ribbons atm, I'm afraid.

http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/crimp_and_curl_salon.htm
 The box pic is accurate to what my playset has.

I only know of Highlights and Ringlets having that ribbon style but they are attached to the bow and curled, dunno what they would be like detached.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Tiara546

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.tiara546.de
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 04:50:16 AM »
Now that is interesting... on the accessory picture, Fifi is wearing a yellow ribbon of the exact same width and colour as I have here as a vintage grosgrain ribbon. Just can't see the blue one anywhere.

This is my Fifi with her suspected accessories, so far. The barrettes differ in colour, too.

If you can look into the accessories packed in your box someday, please send a brief update... no matter how long it takes, I would highly appreciate it. :)

Post Merge: July 07, 2015, 04:55:20 AM

Anyway, I would still need the perm shoppe ribbons' length... please, anyone?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 04:55:22 AM by Tiara546 »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 05:32:26 AM »
I have it down from the attic atm because I have been reorganising my playsets. I have just had a mad, bus crisis weekend.

My set is mint in box but it has been opened before I had it and it is missing its lace. I will have to check whether there is a yellow ribbon like the orange ones, but I can do that before it goes back up in the attic; it just won't be immediately.

The clips I have for mine are all still sealed and I am pretty sure they match the box, so it sounds like there are some variations,..I dunno any other set with those clips.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Tiara546

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.tiara546.de
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 09:57:23 AM »
That sounds good, thanks a lot! ^__^

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 10:16:41 AM »
I did get it out and look at it, actually, so I didn't forget before it went up into storage. I have some pics but they're on the camera at the moment. I shall get them off when I find my cable...

Here they are:

I can't measure the lengths of the ribbons because of the way they are packed - the orange and purple ribbons are tied together in pairs and I don't know if that is original or not so am not going to undo them. The orange is 7mm wide and the purple is 4mm wide though. Thinking about it I actually think now we've had this conversation that one of the loose ribbons floating around my collection that I didn't think was MLP actually might be xD so thanks for that.

The clips I have are the same colour as the ones on the box and they are sealed in their original bag.

The brush and comb match the box, too.

The ribbon is still in its package, and it is not yellow, nor ribbed. It is a normal teal coloured ribbon folded up as any other pony ribbon would be of that time. I think it might match Fifi's eye colour.

I can't speak for how these are different with the US release, though. It's really not uncommon for variations and it's also possible that there were different accessories in the UK between 1987's release and 1988s. This one is 1988 according to the stamp inside the box although the box design is dated 1987. I think I have another Hair Salon in the attic which I am getting rid of and which is less complete,but I haven't found it yet. I think its accessories aren't with it, though, so I am pretty sure that's the most I can do in the way of helping your quest!

This is one of my favourite playsets so I'm always interested in any new info relating to it!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:31:47 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 11:10:44 AM »
I had the US Perm Shoppe MIB.  I'll see if I can find a picture of the ribbons. 

The curly thin purple ribbons and the orange textured ribbons were tied together at the ends, just like in Taffeta's picture.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Tiara546

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.tiara546.de
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 11:13:02 AM »
You're amazing, that really helps!

Taffeta, could you please also measure the width of the teal ribbon if you have the box still out?
And is it a single or double sided satin ribbon?

I noticed that the later ponies had significantly lower ribbon quality than the very first ones. The ribbons of the first ponies were made of double faced cotton satin, while the later ones like the Happy Tails ponies or the pony friends (at least Cha Cha Llama who i have complete with all her accessories) only came with single-sided polyester satin ribbons. Also, the width varied and got lower over the time. The very first ponies came with what I measure to be 6mm wide ribbons, while I already held in hands an original pony ribbon with a width of 5mm only. I wonder which pony's it was, can't remember right now.

In any case, the teal ribbon of your Crimp n Curl playset really seems to match Fifi's eyes perfectly. I love the way in which ribbons (and other accessories) complete the colour scheme of a pony. :3

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:27:31 AM by Tiara546 »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 11:16:05 AM »
Here we go!

The fifth ribbon is dark teal.  I no longer have it (sold the entire playset), but it was the width and length of a typical pony ribbon, from what I recall.

(It kind of looks like the teal ribbon is also tied to the other ribbons, but it's not.  It came in a typical plastic sleeve.)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 11:25:14 AM »
That is identical to what my set has, and thank you, LM, now I especially know not to untie those ribbons! I thought it looked original, seemed odd otherwise.

Tiara, the teal ribbon is a standard 1987/8 pony ribbon. I have put the accessories away now but it looked to me like it was the same as any other pony comes with, and same texture as well. It matches the one LM has in her photo exactly, but mine is still in its packaging. I'd really rather not unpack the whole box again though because it's a bit like one of those cases where it seems to all fit until you try and put it back!

It's interesting what you say about ribbon quality. The later UK ones often had shinier ribbons and some of them were narrower than the standard (I think Baby Berrytown is one of those...seem to remember her having a shiny purple ribbon that was narrower than some of the others...?)

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:29:10 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 11:28:25 AM »
The rest of the accessories, in case anyone was curious.  They seem to be the same as the UK accessories.  It's interesting that the UK box shows the correct barrettes, because the US box incorrectly showed previously used MLP style barrettes.  The barrettes they actually used are not exclusive to MLP.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:40:58 AM by LadyMoondancer »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 11:31:42 AM »
I don't think it's that odd. The playsetcame out in the US first so Hasbro UK benefitted from being able to take a picture of an actual one, rather than the prototype. The same thing kinda happens with the Kitchen - the earliest insert in the UK is all wrong because it's a prototype, but the later one is exact because it came from an actual playset that was photographed. It's much easier to promote something that's already out somewhere, because the in production models are readily available.

It does make matching stuff helpful though xD.

Interesting about the clips, I always felt they didn't look like MLP and if not for the fact mine were sealed, I wouldn't believe they were part of this set. They're made in Taiwan, it says so on the clips themselves, as opposed to China/HK which the rest of the set plus Fifi is (according to my playset box).
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 11:35:56 AM »
Yeah, they're a very common design for actual little girl barrettes, or at least they were in the 80s.  I guess Hasbro just ordered some wholesale or something??

It will always kill me that they didn't make the kitchen with the cat door.

Offline Tiara546

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.tiara546.de
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 11:36:26 AM »
Yes, it really looks like cottony satin on the picture to me. A good old quality ribbon. :)
I hope to own that playset as a whole one day, too. At the moment, I have just got a few parts and accessories of it. Thank you both. If anyone can provide the ribbon lengths, however, these would still be needed. :)

LadyMoondancer, if the barrettes were not MLP-exclusive, do you know which other toylines they came with? I'm curious about the colours used there so it could help to determine which ones really are MLP and which not.
I also felt they looked somewhat different, bigger than a MLP clip would be.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 11:38:47 AM »
They were actual little-girl barrettes.  :)   They came in a lot of colors.

As far as I know Hasbro only used them once for MLP, for the Perm Shoppe.

Edit:  They appear to have been made by "Goody".

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:46:28 AM by LadyMoondancer »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal