collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Calling all Creative Writers! - UPDATE ON PG 2!!  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Calling all Creative Writers! - UPDATE ON PG 2!!
« on: June 02, 2015, 08:06:04 PM »
I had a question about my novel series over in WYP and discovered there are quite a few of us that are pretty serious about word smithing and story crafting and mentioned an idea in that thread of starting an Arena members only writing group.  Why?  Because I've found that quite a few writing groups seem to attract people that have hmm... abrasive personalities.  I get that as writers we need to grow thick skins, but there's a way to be *nice* about that sort of thing, and I feel safer with talking to other Arena members than almost any other group that I'm part of.  So I thought that it might be a beneficial idea for like-minded folks here to start our own, supportive writing group :)

Would anyone be interested in doing this?  I'm not sure the best way to officially arrange this sort of thing (through emails?  Facebook?  Suggestions? lol!), or even if it's allowed to pitch this sort of idea here, but thought I'd ask.  Pony people are so fun and positive and I think a lot of writers could benefit from that sort of atmosphere. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 01:56:27 PM by Katika »

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all Creative Writers!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 08:22:49 PM »
I'm not currently writing anything since reading everything the kids write burns me out a little sometimes. I would be up for joining something like this though, and it might get my creativity flowing a little better again. :lol:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Nebula Light

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 08:25:43 PM »
I mostly write fanfictions, which are usually pokemon or some kind of fandom related. xD I'm all for it though!

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 08:31:47 PM »
i'd love to join!
facebook, even a invitation only type of members, makes it easier for people to come and go as they please and makes it less pressure, but not everyone has facebook, so you might lose a few people there.

email is all inclusive, but if someone has had time to write, or are feeling discouraged a weekly/monthly email might be more daunting than a facebook entry.

either way, i'm in.
what do you think the group would entail?
i know most authors are pretty protective of their work and characters. so bouncing ideas might be difficult. i've got about 7 stories i jump between for writing/drawing. (i started as a storyteller then comic writer/illustrator) i've got dyslexia and have a tendency to jump around when i write things down, so i'm not very confident in my writing abilities at this point. but would love the encouragement a group will provide.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 09:17:11 PM »
This might be interesting.  We could always use FictionPress or SparkATale for sharing stories (both sites are free to join and you don't even have to sign in to comment on FictionPress) and just post here when we've updated them.  I'm absolutely horrible about remembering to check my email.  I don't think I've checked it in over a month.

Offline Katika

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 09:47:28 PM »

facebook, even a invitation only type of members, makes it easier for people to come and go as they please and makes it less pressure, but not everyone has facebook, so you might lose a few people there.

either way, i'm in.
what do you think the group would entail?

Facebook was my first thought because that would mean that we could ensure that only the people who were supportive and part of the community could get in through a closed group.  I think that would help with the feeling of confidentiality (I know it would for me).  I do know that there are some people (rightfully) opposed to Facebook, though, and would hate for them to feel excluded through it.

My thought was to sort of screen members a little bit, based on the reputation that they already have (or are building) here at the forums.  Typically, trustworthy folk are trustworthy folk, so that way we could feel comfortable sharing plot problems or excerpts or even asking about beta readers.  I am extremely protective over my works, so I understand what you're saying about not wanting to share, but at the same time, it's very important for writers to have a circle of trusted people that they can share stuff with in order for them to build it to its best. 

ETA: I am ALL about supporting writers writing.  I don't want to limit this to genre or current writing ability or anything like that.  I want to offer helpful writers a safe place to get better at and more confident in their writing :) 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 10:19:34 PM by Katika »

medleymayhem

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 10:11:45 PM »
Count me all-in! Would love to have more reasons to exercise my writing.

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 10:33:49 PM »
ok i say we go for it and start bringing in people that fit.
katika your the lead on this.

any ideas about a name for the group?

i think you should be the main lead for now and after a few months gauge people's activeness and comments then chose one or two people to be subheads. depending on how big it is.
just an idea. that way it's not, oh this person was here from the beginning, but is never online etc.

Offline aluke

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 10:59:14 PM »
I would be really interested in this. I know I need motivation to sit down and write, plus I love reading and learning about other's stories. Though I tend to shy away from posting thoughtful/critical opinions(I was lurking your WYP thread but couldn't bring myself to post) so I feel I'd end up being one of those inactive members you all wouldn't want.  :blush:

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 11:02:26 PM »
I would be really interested in this. I know I need motivation to sit down and write, plus I love reading and learning about other's stories. Though I tend to shy away from posting thoughtful/critical opinions(I was lurking your WYP thread but couldn't bring myself to post) so I feel I'd end up being one of those inactive members you all wouldn't want.  :blush:
i think would need both active and passive members.
i was just stating that passive members wouldn't be best as co-what ever they're called. :)
that's why i think facebook would be an idea place for it. people can post ideas or comments if they want to, but can easily be involved without having to post everyday or even once.
makes it cozier too.

Offline Katika

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 05:46:22 AM »

The best way to start feeling comfortable offering constructive criticism is to be exposed to it in a safe environment, though :)  This is the sort of reason that I think a "safe" writing group ought to be created, so people can actually feel comfortable expressing themselves instead of expecting everyone to get up in a huff if things don't go as the OP wants, you know?

I think there should be some rules of conduct laid out for this reason, and am open to ideas/suggestions about those as well :)  I'm absolutely fine heading this thing up to begin with, but will have to look in to the mechanics of starting a FB group (I've only ever had my personal page... been tinkering around with the idea of an author page for about a year now, but haven't found the nerve to boot one up yet :blush: )

Offline dashesndots

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • My facebook Art page
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 05:58:00 AM »
I might be interested...I have been trying to coerce myself into writing again without much success but this could be a much-needed boost.

I used to write fanfiction (and would still like to dabble in that) but I do have some original stuff I've been thinking about for YEARS now that just has never gone anywhere.

Will keep an eye on this thread!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 10:36:57 AM »
Looks like you have a few that are interested :)

I need to get off my butt and write some major rp world things..but its more a solo act for me.

Have fun <3
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Ponykit

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 11:46:32 AM »
I might be interested in this. Although I'm a little awkward when it comes to sharing my work, it might be fun.

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 02:29:06 PM »
I'd possibly be up for joining. I've been doing some writing but only on my own to seeing how other people do things and maybe getting some advice would be great.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal