collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice - Debox Kohls Exclusive Balloon Set  (Read 574 times)

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
Advice - Debox Kohls Exclusive Balloon Set
« on: May 09, 2015, 06:08:34 AM »
I know deboxing can be somewhat controversial , but I want to know what people think about deboxing this particular G4 set.

It is the Kohls Twinkling Balloon set with Rarity, Daisy dreams and Spike, and a Tea set, rabbit and light up balloon.

Post Merge: May 09, 2015, 06:10:11 AM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pg2iketqx2ea0tg/photo%20may%2009%2C%207%2001%2045%20am.jpg?dl=0

pic here ^
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 06:10:11 AM by gabumon »

Offline Prince_Sunbeam

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Advice - Debox Kohls Exclusive Balloon Set
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 06:23:51 AM »
Free the ponies!  :biggrin:
Im a gung-ho OOB collector, it so much more fun to enjoy them that way. MOC/MIB can be so constricting in my opinion, and things on retail shelves are rarely mint to begin with! Sure it decreases resale value, but to me enjoying it out on my own display and getting to rearrange/play with them makes them more valuable to me- plus if you keep them in mint condition loose with all accessories, it wont have even decreased much in value!

my 2cents anyway
Back after at least 4 years away!

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 06:24:32 AM »
I typically ask myself - is it rare/sought after?  Can I sell my MIB copy and repurchase a mint loose set and still have some $$$ left over?  If so, I say sell your MIB set and go from there.  :)

MIB sets aren't going to get any easier to find, and there will always be someone out there looking for one. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 07:10:07 AM »
Since it's a playset, I'd guess most people would only be buying MIB to debox with garunteed completion, as opposed to displaying in the box. I'd say if you want em loose, debox em, but if you don't particularly care, keep them in the box for the time being  :)
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 07:24:02 AM »
What were your intentions when you bought it? Since it is g4, I don't think you're gonna get pelted with fakies for opening anything at this point. On the other hand, if you are concerned with pony preservation / ensuring pony history and can live happily with that, go ahead and keep it as is. I won't say that I don't see the point in an MIB playset, but at the same time I know I'd have no desire to own one. There are a handful of ponies I want MIB and even those I don't want until I have nice, loose versions of them to brush, photograph and play with.

You're not the only one thinking of the future, though, if that was your intent. I have a Glamour Glow Rarity that I haven't unboxed yet either. I know that I want one version of her MIB in my collection. I don't know if this version will be "it" or not, but since I'm not sure I haven't opened her yet.

It really boils down to how you like collecting, whether you're willing to accept the cost (which again, for g$ is more financial than social far as I can tell?) and whether you are happy with whatever decision you make.

Good luck!

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline QueenStarglow

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Glow 'N Show Queen
    • View Profile
    • The Glow 'N Show Stables
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 07:30:16 AM »
Free the ponies!  :biggrin:
Im a gung-ho OOB collector, it so much more fun to enjoy them that way. MOC/MIB can be so constricting in my opinion, and things on retail shelves are rarely mint to begin with! Sure it decreases resale value, but to me enjoying it out on my own display and getting to rearrange/play with them makes them more valuable to me- plus if you keep them in mint condition loose with all accessories, it wont have even decreased much in value!

my 2cents anyway

YES. MIB G4 doesn't even mean anything before because 60% of the time or better you're going to find some sort of glaring flaw on a brand new pony. Everything I buy is inspected as best I can in packaging and compared to others on the shelves. G1 and G3 almost always came out of their boxes in pristine shape and to me, their MIB versions are more valuable.

That said, I agree - FREE THE PONIES! :D Daisy Dreams wants her mane brushed!

My Little Pony Blog: http://glownshowpony.tumblr.com | The Glow 'N Show Stables: http://glownshowpony.weebly.com
GnS Stables Sale thread G1-G4: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378506.0.html
MLP:FiM Gameloft friend code: f52c0

Offline gabumon

• Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 09:24:38 AM »
Long term I planned to keep in it box.  I got it on clearance ,really a great buy.  I didn't buy to sell, because MIB playlets are hard to sell, mostly the shipping,

But now, I need space, and at the moment, this is my largest one-thing MLP.  and just look at all the empty space in there!

I posted wondering if this Rarity, or Daisy were special or exclusive.    For example, Rarity in the Carousel Boutique is special (awesome!) she has sparkles on her symbol and horn. 

So if these two aren't special as far as anyone knows, I'll probably debox.

But I need some way to keep track of this Rarity and this Daisy.  Maybe they get a certain Barrett or accessory...   Because that is one thing I dislike, ... Forgetting where different ponies came from.  Any suggestions on that?

Or feedback about these issues of ponies?

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 04:26:48 PM »
I think the Rarity isn't anything special. IIRC there's no tinsel or glitter or gem eyes or extra paint on her and she's in the stock standard pose... The only distinguishing feature would be which side the cutie mark is on, and if she has the new or the old head mold.

As for Daisy Dreams, she is a cute pony and somewhat popular, but by now she's had quite a few releases. I believe the variant list would go like this:

• Promo Pack with Fluttershy (forelock, right side cutie mark)
  • Promo Pack with Fluttershy (no forelock, pink stripe first in mane, right side cutie mark)
  • Riding Along with Rarity (no forelock, purple stripe first in mane, left side cutie mark)
  • Twinkling Balloon with Rarity (no forelock, pink stripe first in mane, left side cutie mark, new head mold?)

And then also the Glimmer Wings and Fashion Style releases, which are obvious in their differences. ;)

Offline Prince_Sunbeam

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 04:20:01 AM »
If you want to remember which set she came from deboxed you could put a little code on a tiny piece of masking tape and stick it under her hoof?
Ive never tried that, but I totally get the desire to keep things that organized. I keep a spread sheet of the date and price and detailed info from most things I buy to collect...

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 08:01:03 AM »
If you want to remember which set she came from deboxed you could put a little code on a tiny piece of masking tape and stick it under her hoof?
Ive never tried that, but I totally get the desire to keep things that organized. I keep a spread sheet of the date and price and detailed info from most things I buy to collect...

No masking tape, or tape of any kind.  The glue breaks down over time and will adhere to the pony. :(

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Offline Prince_Sunbeam

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 08:06:53 AM »
Oh no! I hadnt heard that. Id figure masking or painters tape would have been pretty safe since they're not very gluey to begin with

Offline gabumon

• Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 11:27:13 AM »
 Yah upon closer inspection these issues look just like the Scooter set.  Though this one has Daisys hair in a different color sequence

, I think ill debox.  I think my plan will be to use a certain barrette in their hair,  or maybe a certain color yarn.

Wait does colored yarn or ribbon discolor the pony?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 03:41:30 PM »
It depends on how well the colour is set in the ribbon or yarn but normally they are fine (avoid elastics...they will bleed).

As for deboxing or not. You are certainly unlikely to encounter many who would say anything negative about deboxing a G4 set. However this was quite a hard set to track down as well as being exclusive to store and country (even though the contents were repeat releases from other sets). So I would say, do what will make you happiest. :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal