collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sears Wishbook!  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
Re: Sears Wishbook!
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 06:48:01 PM »
Love those catalogs  :lovey:

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 07:19:32 PM by Sapphire-Light »

Offline nemubones

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • With every mistake We must surely be learning -GH
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 11:30:00 PM »
I used to cut the catalogs apart and give my parents the pages with the things I wanted for x-mas or such.  :lol:

Offline MorningGlorysParadise82

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2015, 10:15:55 PM »
Daughter and I STILL do this! I do it for reference/wants while daughter is purely wants LOL
And WOW! $4.99 in 1986 (which is when most my childhood herd was acquired) is now $10.69. :O
Live as though the world is as it should be, to show what it can be.
Want List/My Ponydex/Ref.sheet

Offline doxiechic16

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 03:48:00 AM »
Looking through the Sears Wishbook at my grandma's house and picking out the toys that I wanted was one of my favorite things to do before Christmas.   :heart:

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 10:15:27 AM »
Daughter and I STILL do this! I do it for reference/wants while daughter is purely wants LOL
And WOW! $4.99 in 1986 (which is when most my childhood herd was acquired) is now $10.69. :O

I guess I should stop complaining about the prices of Fashion Styles :X  No wonder G4 brushables are so small!

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2015, 05:30:33 PM »
OMG, I am going to have to spend hours on this!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2015, 09:11:33 AM »
I used to sit with it every year.  My mom tells me that, when I was about two, I would page through it, point at nearly every toy, and say "I hab dat...and I hab dat..." (translation: "I'll have that...")

Sometimes I'd want stuff that wasn't even a toy (like home appliances) XD

Post Merge: May 01, 2015, 10:22:33 AM

Oh wow, so Paradise Estate would cost about $160 now (I saw it in the Sears catalog of '86).  :shocked:
Yes.  It was VERY expensive.

I remember getting the PE from Santa, who had pre-ordered at ToysRUs.

I sat in a corner of the living room, opened the box, pulled out the buildings (oh the excitement!), and none of the accessories/small parts were included :/  Whoops.

My mom told me that Santa, who couldn't make it back to the house, told her to take it back to TRU.  I remember standing in the customer service line...and lo and behold, there were multiple moms with PEs to return.  In the holiday rush, Hasbro really screwed up and didn't package the itty bitty parts.

Maybe that's what happened to Paradise over here. They clean forgot about her

/bitter >

I remember PE cost £60 here, which was a lot in 1980s money. I have a few Sears catalogues on a disc of catalogue images, but I haven't really looked at them a lot since I got them for the UK stuff.

Paradise Estate was one of the playsets I never got as a kid, too pricey, but I played with my friend's all the time, so it was sort of like having it...;)

Our equivalent here would be the Argos catalogue I think. I have spent a lot of time trawling through old copies and scans looking for images in much the same way in the last few months, thanks to the help of a very kind magazine enthusiast!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2015, 04:48:08 PM »
Yep, I remember as a kid looking for the section on toys and saying outloud to myself "I want that, I want that".  :biggrin:

Offline Sukey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2015, 06:09:54 PM »
Oh yes, I remember staring at those catalogs for hours. I believe there was a jc Penney' s catalog, too. Wow, some of those catalog covers are very familiar.

A Furrever Friends Site

*** Looking for a Glory tin- I have a Starshine tin for trade ***

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 06:57:36 AM »
WOW! This brings back so many memories!!! Man my parents got me a stable set and it was $30! I wish that I  would of know that, I would of taken better care of them all!

Offline QueenStarglow

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Glow 'N Show Queen
    • View Profile
    • The Glow 'N Show Stables
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 07:53:53 AM »
I used to sit with it every year.  My mom tells me that, when I was about two, I would page through it, point at nearly every toy, and say "I hab dat...and I hab dat..." (translation: "I'll have that...")

Sometimes I'd want stuff that wasn't even a toy (like home appliances) XD

Post Merge: May 01, 2015, 10:22:33 AM

Oh wow, so Paradise Estate would cost about $160 now (I saw it in the Sears catalog of '86).  :shocked:
Yes.  It was VERY expensive.

I remember getting the PE from Santa, who had pre-ordered at ToysRUs.

I sat in a corner of the living room, opened the box, pulled out the buildings (oh the excitement!), and none of the accessories/small parts were included :/  Whoops.

My mom told me that Santa, who couldn't make it back to the house, told her to take it back to TRU.  I remember standing in the customer service line...and lo and behold, there were multiple moms with PEs to return.  In the holiday rush, Hasbro really screwed up and didn't package the itty bitty parts.

The staff at TRU were upset because the PEs were sold out and on backorder *everywhere*.  My mom asked me if I wanted to wait or get something else.   I decided on getting something different...and ended up with the entire line of Questron books.  So...yeah, 1 PE = an entire line of a different toy XD

This is adorable... and FASCINATING. I wish I had any memories at all of G1 in stores. These catalog images are amazing! Thank you LM!!

My Little Pony Blog: http://glownshowpony.tumblr.com | The Glow 'N Show Stables: http://glownshowpony.weebly.com
GnS Stables Sale thread G1-G4: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378506.0.html
MLP:FiM Gameloft friend code: f52c0

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 08:15:20 AM »
I wasn't around for sears in particular, but i did similar things with target, tru and american girl catalogues. Oh, the memories... [dramatic state into distance]
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline buddyboymama

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 12:57:30 PM »
Yes, I remember looking through the Wishbook every year and circling my favorites.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2015, 03:51:13 PM »

I guess I should stop complaining about the prices of Fashion Styles :X  No wonder G4 brushables are so small!

Probably the main reasons G4 has such poor quality control and smaller brushables - price hasn't changed but the value of those dollars has halved.  I can't imagine Hasbro would take that all out of their profit margin, if any.  5$ was my bi-monthly allowance back in the 80's.  G1's were far more of a luxury toy back then.

I remember going over the Consumer's Distributing catalog every time it arrived for new toys, these scans are nostalgic.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2015, 06:06:14 PM »
That website crops up every couple of years...and every time even though I am in the wrong country I love flicking through the pages and imaging being able to choose from the selection. I have a stack of old 80s Argos catalogues on disk (one of the UKs big toy retailers) - they are just so cool to look through.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal