collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

When you buy a new pony/toy/doll that you REALLY LOVE LIKE CRAZY - do you

Buy two whenever possible- so that you can debox and play/display one, and have one to keep NRFB
13 (28.9%)
Buy one and keep it NRFB
5 (11.1%)
Buy one and debox immediately
14 (31.1%)
Carefully remove the item from its packaging and SAVE the packaging for LATER
10 (22.2%)
Something else (explain below)
3 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: March 30, 2015, 10:55:36 AM

Author Topic: One to debox, and one to keep NRFB FOREVER!!!  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
One to debox, and one to keep NRFB FOREVER!!!
« on: March 27, 2015, 10:55:36 AM »
So when there is a pony (ie SDCC pony) or doll or toy that I REALLY love -  I tend to try to buy TWO of such items- so I can have one to debox and "play with" or display, and then a second to keep pristine and NRFB. 

I do this. I have a few reasons:
1)  I LOVE vintage NRFB ponies/toys/dolls SO MUCH and if I could reach back in time and buy an extra set of the things I loved best (ponies, strawberry shortcake, Jem) to keep NRFB until now- I surely would!   So maybe I am trying to do my future self a favor..
2) Packaging is often really gorgeous and comes with illustrations and backgrounds- really a perfect little capsule for storing and displaying your item.
3) If you ever change your mind or fall out of love, it is MUCH easier to sell stuff with NRFB stuff than loose stuff.

The problem is that I don't have the $$ or the room for collecting packaging.  And I really don't have the time to sell off a mountain of dolls that I am not interested in anymore. So I am TRYING (with mixed success) to get rid of duplicates, packaging, and trying to not buy new duplicates. 

How about you? Do you keep things MIB for all times? Keep two sets so you can debox one? Or do you toss packaging immediately?  Why?

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: One to debox, and one to keep NRFB FOREVER!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 11:25:19 AM »
Just one for me. If it's an item I know I'm going to keep forever-- I don't need the packaging because I could care less about value and I don't like stuff in boxes. 

Even my htf nirvanas that I got-- I immediately deboxed because they are mine. FOREVER. But... I felt really weird tossing the boxes knowing that there are so few in existance, so I packed them away and they are keeping up precious storage space. Kinda sucks.

Edit to add- I do keep my BJD boxes though-- they are good in case I have to store them away for a bit.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:27:41 AM by banditpony »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 11:28:12 AM »
Just one for me. If it's an item I know I'm going to keep forever-- I don't need the packaging because I could care less about value and I don't like stuff in boxes. 

Even my htf nirvanas that I got-- I immediately deboxed because they are mine. FOREVER. But... I felt really weird tossing the boxes knowing that there are so few in existance, so I packed them away and they are keeping up precious storage space. Kinda sucks.

Maybe you could sell off the packaging?  I bet there is a market for Nirvana packaging :)
(although I will confess that I recently tossed some vintage packaging (not for ponies but for SSC)

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 11:31:04 AM »
I said debox immediatly; this is what I do with G4s. I have kept some packaging items, but rarely. I'm not really impressed with the box art- most of the graphics seem repeated on the abundance of merchandise available.

Also packaging takes up sooooooo much room! It's the main reason (probably even before cost) why I don't collect MOC G1s.

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 12:47:05 PM »
I said debox immediatly; this is what I do with G4s. I have kept some packaging items, but rarely. I'm not really impressed with the box art- most of the graphics seem repeated on the abundance of merchandise available.

Also packaging takes up sooooooo much room! It's the main reason (probably even before cost) why I don't collect MOC G1s.

I do admire your resolve- I totally agree that the space is the big thing.  Especially if you have been collecting for some time... even my office at work is getting a bit... full.

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 01:24:03 PM »
Saving packaging never really occurs to me; if I really love the design on a box/card, I can always scan or photograph it before recycling it. When it comes to collecting ponies, I always seek them loose so as to avoid deboxing guilt, as there's likely to be another person who'd love to have that pony fresh in their packaging. :P

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 01:37:02 PM »
Maybe you could sell off the packaging?  I bet there is a market for Nirvana packaging :)
(although I will confess that I recently tossed some vintage packaging (not for ponies but for SSC)

I thought about it but... I think they shouldn't be separated due to rarity. I once tried to give away a forget me not box but didn't get any takers... So I did pitch that.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 05:34:16 PM »
I'm a big supporter of freeing the pony/doll/figure (unless it is highly valuable), so I debox.

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 05:53:37 PM »
Usually for limited edition or special ponies, I just buy one and keep it MIB (they tend to be too pricey for me to buy duplicates).  But if it's a regular pony that I just happen to really like more than others, I will buy two - one to debox and one to keep MIB.  I don't really have the space to keep loads of duplicates around either, so I try to be as judicious as I can about it.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline thecakeissisley

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 06:01:52 PM »
I don't get to buy many ponies/dolls at all, so I'm unable to get two of the same toy just to keep one in the box. I prefer playing and posing my toys and taking pictures of them. Although if I really really like how the toy looks in the package, I'll keep it in the package for a few hours or days (depending on how patient I am) and then debox it. Also, if I like the illustrations/package design, I either keep the whole box, or cut out the illustrations and keep them.

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 06:19:53 PM »
I never opened my SDCC ponies when I had them but besides them and my SDCC EAH Cerise Wolf everything else eventually got opened.
Sometimes I'm tempted to keep something in box because the packaging looks neat (I actually kept my TRU excl. single ponies in box until I got Photo Finish) but it always comes down to that it'd take less space to display out of box and/or it's more fun to take pics out of box.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 09:20:34 PM »
I do all of the above. If I can buy two, great -- no guilty feelings either way! If I buy one it depends on the type of packaging it's in -- whether it can display well in the packaging or not. If I do unbox it, I usually save the packaging.

But I would never ever unbox something vintage. The horror!

(BTW, the first time I realized I was a real, serious pony collector was when I bought two copies of the first SDCC pony so I could do this. That was the first time I had ever spent over $50 on a pony).

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 12:48:52 AM »
I really wish I'd bought a second Holly Dash to debox.  I may debox her on my birthday.  I only debox new G4s :)
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 03:15:26 AM »
It kind of depends on how I feel at the moment. I won a mib G3 in a competition once and decided upon arrival to keep her boxed as it was a price. When I finally got first edition Draculaura I decided to keep her boxed, it was before they gave out the second wave of her and she was really hard to get in Sweden. Now I could open her with no problem because I still see that version in stores from time to time but I don't feel like it. The rest of my Monster Highs are out of their boxes. It never crossed my mind to get a second of anything. I'm just happy I get something.

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 05:52:11 AM »
Overall, I'm a loose collector.  However, if I can't buy a new pony off the shelf myself, and she becomes HTF later on and is easier to find MIB, I'll buy her MIB and hang on to her that way until I can find a loose version.  My exceptions are the exclusives that come in boxes (because it seems like a LOT of people leave them MIB).  I carefully cut those boxes open, remove the pony, then collapse the boxes to lay flat and store them.  The ONLY ponies I've managed to leave MIB are Bay Breeze, Rosey Posey, Frisco and Trolley.

I've had several collectors suggest that I'm kind of silly for keeping the more valuable ponies MIB if I prefer to collect loose, since they are *my* ponies and it's *my* collection, but I also have this weird sense of... loyalty? debt? not too sure what the actual feeling is to the community as a whole that won't let me do that.  I feel as though some MIBs are rare enough that they really ought to be respected as the collectables they are and trusted in the safe keeping of a collector with more will power than me ;)  (However, I also bank on the fact that there ARE collectors without the same hang ups that I have out there so that I can one day buy the ponies I won't let myself open as loose, lol)

Please do keep in mind, this is my personal opinion and what works best for me.  I support collectors of anything (non-living, of course) doing what they want with the items that they purchase.  Collect to make yourself happy, and if that means shiny, mint boxes or things you can actually touch, that's fine by me :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal