collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Names you use for game characters  (Read 3466 times)

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
Re: Names you use for game characters
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2015, 08:34:26 PM »
I'm super unoriginal -- I use Orchid for almost everything. Sometimes a game will ask you for your name WITHOUT TELLING YOU THAT YOU'RE PLAYING AS A CHARACTER THAT HAS A NAME. Like Zelda, except that everyone knows to go with Link. I recently started playing "Nier," and it asked for a name and didn't give a suggestion. So I put in Orchid. Come to find out, the title of the game is supposed to be the name of the main character! Super frustrating. Sometimes I also use the name Bromi (short for Bromeliad) or Brom if I'm playing a male character. And I have a bajillion Elder Scrolls game saves, so I've gotten creative for a lot of the names on there.

I remember that Final Fantasy X also asks you to name the main character (Tidus). I haven't started playing the remake yet, but if it asks me to name him again I am totally going to name him Mr. Stupid Pants. Because his pants are stupid.

Post Merge: March 24, 2015, 08:40:31 PM

When I used to play Final Fantasy games, I'd usually try to come up with silliest names possible, usually to outdo my older sister. I think one character ended up being called Gorilla and it was a tradition to always have at least one chocobo on FF7 called Anakin. XD
Yes! In FFIX, there's a character whose default name is Amarant (or Salamander). When he introduces himself, after you give him a name, he says he is known as The Flaming ______. You could have a lot of fun giving him a creative name.

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 11:11:18 PM »
If I'm just naming a save file, it tends to be some variation on Violet. For naming characters, I've kind of taken to naming them after ponies lately...

Ponykit

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2015, 05:15:58 AM »
If I'm just naming a save file, it tends to be some variation on Violet. For naming characters, I've kind of taken to naming them after ponies lately...

Cool! My longest-lasting Pokémon file, the trainer and her rival are named after the same pony.

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2015, 05:00:08 PM »
In a lot of games I sort of keyboard mash, or I do look up names depends on the game.

For example some game characters I have
in WOW a long time ago
Bladewolf a human rogue
Vinemouse a night elf hunter

Ferret a thief in Skyrim
Branda Fire-Blade a Nord
Le'Fel a Khajit
Khali Blood-Eye a character I think I was going to do Dark Brotherhood with
Neilane wood elf
Jia Claw-Bane Redgaurd

Way back in Oblivion I for some reason had a thing for the name 'Raven Wolf-Tail' not sure why I was around the 14 year old mark then

I had a Tiefling in a Neverwinter Nights game called Nef (forgot her last name, might have been Tiren) but didn't get very far with the game

In Dragon Age I've had
Origins
Mly'Rax
Lef
Alina
Hira
Fritz (her 'real' name was Freida)
Sylen
II
Lila
Bryanne
Amaris
Avesha
Inquisition
Diantha
Briallen
Biyu
Seren

I'd mention SWTOR but that'd be a long list but some include
Nef'fira, (Fira), Ashvara, Triivkos, Peeche, Merisande, Lyee, Eriife, Kyvioce

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 05:06:39 PM by starrypawz »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2015, 05:03:10 PM »
I use Bekuno for pretty much every game except Pokemon (the main series) or LoZ. Also if the game has custom characters I try and make her look as much like Bekuno as possible. (She's actually a human character, not a pony  :P)
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2015, 07:25:32 PM »
I tend to go for Carrie if it's meant to be 'me' (i.e. Pokemon, Tomodachi Life), or just make up a different name otherwise. If that makes sense, heh.

Offline RainbowRay

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • so very rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2015, 05:18:43 AM »
In Pokemon I normally go with my real name, Leah. Or if I'm playing as a boy (which I actually do more often these days because short hair) I'm Rainbow because that's totally a more masculine name than Leah!
If I make a male version of myself in the Sims, I use the name Rainbow too (second name is Meatgrass).

Oh, and in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games I've used a variety of names. Leah/Leone the Eevee, and Stardust the Meowth are two I remember.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2015, 06:32:58 AM »
starrypawz -- wow, you're very creative with naming!

I also thought I would mention that in RPGs where you catch monsters (NON Pokemon games), like the Dragon Quest/Warrior Monsters series or Rune Factory, etc., I name my monsters after Pokemon. So, for instance, in Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny, I have Articuno (a magical pink bird -- yeah, they don't always look exactly like the Pokemon they're named after), Rapidash the unicorn, Charizard the green dragon (but he looks a lot like Charizard otherwise!), Skitty and Persian (both big cat-like creatures)... and a bunch of others. I think I also did this in Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, where you can catch monsters.

Also, when I play a game where you have a pet (like Torchlight), I name the pet after old pets that I have had (not my current pets).

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2015, 02:46:11 PM »
Every single game, my main character has been X.

Just X. Sometimes I spice it up with a Xavier or such, rarely. But if the character has a strong presence, like Link or the Final Fantasy heroes, I leave the name as default.

For pokemon I usually go to latin or mythology. I always name my Nidoking Pessum Ire, and my Excadrill was named Persephone.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline FullMoonFever

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Small Cream Coloured Kitten
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2015, 03:57:03 PM »
In pokemon I generally name my character after one of my kitties.  As for the pokemon, I name them terrible horrible diseases and then trade them on the Global trade thing.  Yes, I am evil.
Looking for Mountain Boys Thundercloud and Sunburst.  ANY condition at all wanted!

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2015, 05:09:15 PM »
If it's a Zelda game, I use Link. But for other games, it's always Dazzle.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2015, 03:35:32 AM »
I can't recall all the names I used to use, most were random names that fit the character/game.

Harvest Moon :biggrin: I mostly used Roy. I think I used my actual name in the Wii HM game I have, playing as the female character.

Zelda games I came up with Vrain.  :cool:
I have two older brothers, the eldest always used Link, the second used his name... and ever since my first playthrough of Ocarina of Time my name has been Vrain. I don't know why, I came up with it on the spot and have loved it ever since! ^.^

These days I use Tulips for most games (Pokemon, Animal Crossing, etc...)
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2015, 06:29:18 AM »
I jump all around depending on the game / gender of the characters.  Recently I've taken to doing unique names for each game though, it makes it seem less like a giant congealed mess to me.  ^.^

Wildcat and Rinu are my main female names while Tochi and Manque are my main male names.  I'm not going to bore you with games I play with massive, nameable parties. :P

Offline bladed

• Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2015, 11:10:39 AM »
i'm not sure why, but i always pick the version that corresponds to the female pokespe (pokemon adventures) character, and play the female and name them after the character

i'm weird

of course this also leads to situations where the whole "leaf can't be blue because leafGREEN" and also "oh no, sapphire doesn't fit on SAPPHIRE" :P

but a random name i use is nova... i'm not sure why, i was just playing on hgss (before the whole pokespe thing) and picked nova, now it's a name i use on everything, like on pokemon ranger and basically any other game. :P

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2015, 12:45:51 PM »
For games like the Zelda series, I leave the name as the default... I like playing as Link, not as myself.  :P (My dad named his old Twilight Princess save file "linklink" by mistake... it made me laugh whenever he played.)

I actually don't play many games that allow you to input the mc's name, but I just about always leave it as the default.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal