collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Glowing Magic/Glow N Show Ponies Question...  (Read 4980 times)

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
Re: Glowing Magic/Glow N Show Ponies Question...
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 05:47:04 PM »
If you use the code [ img width=350 ] image url [ /img ] your images should appear bigger; take the spaces out from the insides of the brackets.

Brightglow was a childhood pony for me, I don't think I really played with her as she still looks really nice.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline ChocolateStarfire

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • May the Force be with you. Always.
    • View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2015, 06:45:10 PM »
So this has been on my mind a bit lately because it's one of those irritating variation things that is just floating around without any proper documentation.

Glowing Magic/Glow n Show Ponies. I'm curious to know how many versions of some of these ponies there actually are.

This is what I know about thus far.

Brightglow
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/brightglow.htm
#1 (pictured): Opaque body, very orange, hair is silky dark pink and curly lavender, this both from factory release. This is my childhood pony from 1991/2, bought in the UK.

I know that there is also a version with straight silky hair in both colours. I believe this to be sold in the US and the UK, but I have not got any images to support it at present.

Basically what I want to know is what kind of GnS ponies people have, with pictures if possible. Where they got them, (MOC pictures would be great), and so on.

I'm not going to use anyone's images for the site unless I'm given permission. I am just trying to clear it up at the present time because Happyglow and Brightglow in particular are driving me a bit nuts.

I have a Brightglow from the US. She has perfectly straight hair, as you mentioned.
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales-Including Ponies!
My pronouns-She/her and they/them  ^.^

Offline hilamb

• Myrskyisä yö poni
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2015, 10:14:47 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That is not Happyglows original hair btw, I wanted a color that closer matched her symbol.

Each pony is unique, just like people...  ;)

I got the blue hearts from Strawberryscoops. I dyed the pink in her mane and and tail, I don't remember what the original shade of blue was so it may have affected the color. She's a bit discolored, but that doesn't bother me one bit!! (However faded pink hair is something I like to fix.) As a note, I've never had discoloration of other non-white or pink hair colors when rit dying. I'm going to pm her to see if she still kept the sales pics as I didn't take a before pic.

Edit:
Confirmed from Stawberryscoops original pic of blue hearts that in fact my AWESOME re-pinking actually changed the shade of her light turquoise hair. Eh, I learn. I honestly like her that way, the blue of her hair matches her hearts quite nicely.

Thank you for posting! Wow, you did a great job with the hair. :)
Im starting to think there are body color variations a little bit more than what we tought, with Dazzleglow.

Why was she the only one who got blue hearts? Have any of you got any idea? :D

Thank you valerie :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 12:53:18 AM »
Thank you everyone! The interesting thing is all the Starglows people have listed up here resemble my sister's childhood pony the most, and hers was bought here in the UK in 92. I think Naynie still has her card somewhere.

My vague theory was that there are loosely first and second edition Glowing Magic Ponies but it may be more batch related.

I think of blue heart Dazzle as the first edition because she is in the US commercial ( which should be on DV, I'm typing on tablet before work so getting links is harder) and subsequently was used in the pamphlet photo for the UK. My theory is that by the time the Uk and Europe started selling them, they had run out of the blue hearts OR the factory changed. Meanwhile they were still being sold in North America, etc, so there were pink hearts there too. North America seems to have more variations on this set than Europe so that is what I think.

The Brightglow thing with the curly or straight hair is just totally random...my childhood Brightglow in post 1 obviously has really curly lavender and really straight pink. I wonder if it is coincidence or whether it was planned, since my Rockin Beat Half Note, also from the UK the same year, has the same curly straight mix.

Nobody has a white and yellow hair Starglow? I have seen one image of her from long ago...but don't know if this is a legit variation or something of a factory error...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Filthy

• The Crazy Cat Lady
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 02:24:09 AM »

Nobody has a white and yellow hair Starglow? I have seen one image of her from long ago...but don't know if this is a legit variation or something of a factory error...
I remember seeing a pic of her too, but it was a looong time ago. I think she was even MOC..(?)

Here are my Dazzleglows, blue hearted has darker body, pink hearted is a rehair so can't say much about that (not rehaired by me, both were bought second hand from abroad).

My Brightglow has very silky and straight hair, I think I got her from US. Unfortunately I only have this UV light pic of her..

And Starglow has very dry/coarse pink & yellow hair. She's from a fleamarket back in the 90's so assuming she was bought locally. Again, just a UV light pic of her atm.
Thanks to Mandy85 for my avatar

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 03:14:11 PM »
There is certainly the third version of Dazzleglow as some have shown here which is when she has aqua hair as opposed to the more commonly found blue.

We have also had the white and yellow haired Starglow confirmed :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 05:09:17 PM »
The pic of Starglow is around if you google search so it is more a case of whether that was a one off or if she was store released somewhere and therefore there is a batch of them floating around.

I think I mentioned above but my blueheart has the aqua hair:

I didn't post the direct image before but it is quite distinctive when compared with my UK bought one with pink hearts. I think we definitely have proven already that there at least 3, maybe 4 versions of Dazzle in common circulation, with at least 2 or 3 of the others. I am not totally certain still how to handle that on my page update, but obviously Hasbro made a ton of changes in the batches of these.

Filthy, those UV pics are awesome! And the way you describe Starglow is the same as my sister bought new in the UK, so it seems like that is more normal for Europe. Cheaper fibres maybe?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 03:42:34 PM »
Starglow has been found MOC :) Thats why she moved from being a one off issue to being an actual release of some random kind.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 03:59:59 PM »
I have Starglow (green, translucent, straight hair...) and Brightglow (orange, translucent, wavy hair). I'm still looking for a translucent pink hearts Dazzleglow  she's a completer for me. It's taken me a while to decide but I want to go for it!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 04:06:58 PM by Artemesia Floc »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 05:30:36 PM »
Starglow has been found MOC :)
Yes. That was the image I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Thing is one MOC doesn't necessarily mean a full batch since as we've seen in other discussions, there are factory errors enough to fill up most of Ponyland. One existing confirmed means she existed...people picking her up at sales or as a kid makes her more established.

The UK alone had some bizarre  together jobs at the end of the line and some ponies got sealed on a different country card.

I'm real picky on this, I know, but it is one reason I asked the question about GnS ponies in the first place. If you are saying that in fact there are several known and authenticated multiples of her then that changes the game rather a lot...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:08:13 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2015, 08:33:12 PM »
Sorry it took me awhile!  Photo quality is not the best, but hope this helps :)

Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2015, 05:52:42 AM »
Awesome, thankyou. From your position would you say her purple streaks look straight or curly?

Also, it is the first time I have seen the back of a GnS US card, and it is interesting that Dazzle was drawn here with BLUE hearts, not pink, which goes along with all the promo material in the US too.

I need to go watch that commercial again, clearly.

Thanks all for your help, I really appreciate it, especially all the images. Now I can try and rewrite the GnS pages on the Scrapbook with more clarity, although the whole thing has piqued my interest on how many variations there really were.

Plus, who doesn't like to see a thread full of pretty GnS images...:D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2015, 01:49:19 PM »
Starglow has been found MOC :)
Yes. That was the image I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Thing is one MOC doesn't necessarily mean a full batch since as we've seen in other discussions, there are factory errors enough to fill up most of Ponyland. One existing confirmed means she existed...people picking her up at sales or as a kid makes her more established.

The UK alone had some bizarre  together jobs at the end of the line and some ponies got sealed on a different country card.

I'm real picky on this, I know, but it is one reason I asked the question about GnS ponies in the first place. If you are saying that in fact there are several known and authenticated multiples of her then that changes the game rather a lot...

No as you say it does not mean a full batch but there has been at least one MOC (one sold on ebay just a couple of months ago so that may be 2 MOC now) and 3 loose versions. So yes perhaps not a large and intentional production run but at least a small group of them made :) Unintentional or intentional...with Hasbro who knows however. As you say towards the end of their line due to manufacture they were a bit all over the place. 
Loa is my love god!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2015, 01:59:51 PM »
I've added a footnote about her on Starglow's page on my site but I've said that we still don't really know what her provenance is, and I still think that we don't. I didn't realise there had been more than one of her seen, but I am still wary, being that it's this set, and they are so prone to weird stuff. Of course, we will never know what Hasbro's intentions originally were, or why they made so many minor changes, but it's interesting all the same.

Either that or I'm a geek. One or the other ;)

This discussion has really helped me a lot, though.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2015, 05:19:14 PM »
Here are mine, though I don't know how good the photos are because of the camera flash/etc annnd...they are a little um...dusty! :p

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal