collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Glowing Magic/Glow N Show Ponies Question...  (Read 4940 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Glowing Magic/Glow N Show Ponies Question...
« on: March 13, 2015, 04:07:37 PM »
So this has been on my mind a bit lately because it's one of those irritating variation things that is just floating around without any proper documentation.

Glowing Magic/Glow n Show Ponies. I'm curious to know how many versions of some of these ponies there actually are.

This is what I know about thus far.
Dazzleglow (images on link below to save loading time)
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/dazzleglow.htm

#1, opaque body. Straight hair. Pink hearts and yellow stars. Mine sadly hasn't got the silkiest hair so I can't be certain but I think from other photos I've seen she should have straight hair from issue. Hair is pale pink (probably not fading) and pale blue. Found loose in the UK, confirmed MOC for the UK. Believe to be available in the US too.

#2, translucent body. Straight hair. Blue hearts and yellow stars. The hair on this one is paler and probably fadeable pink, the blue is more aqua. Hair is silky and straight. Bought from the US. Confirmed MOC for the US. Not confirmed for the UK.

Starglow
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/starglow.htm

#1 Opaque dark blue body. Dark pink (same shade as birthflower ponies) and yellow mane and tail. Somewhat rougher texture hair though not curly. Pink hearts and yellow stars. Bought new in the UK in 1991-2. Confirmed Mint on UK card.

#2 Opaque, dark blue body but somehow not as dark as the one above. Coral and yellow mane and tail, silky and straight/wavy. Pink hearts and yellow stars. Bought from the US. Have seen similar on US style card. Not confirmed for the UK.

HappyGlow (I'm not linking this page because I think I have my pictures confused).

This is what I believe exists but my sister's childhood one is in storage and I cannot get it to check which it is. I know blue hair was sold definitely in the UK. I need more information about Happyglow especially.

#1 Translucent body, blue and white mane and tail
#2 Opaque body, blue and white mane and tail
#3 Opaque body, aqua and white mane and tail

Brightglow
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/brightglow.htm
#1 (pictured): Opaque body, very orange, hair is silky dark pink and curly lavender, this both from factory release. This is my childhood pony from 1991/2, bought in the UK.

I know that there is also a version with straight silky hair in both colours. I believe this to be sold in the US and the UK, but I have not got any images to support it at present.

Basically what I want to know is what kind of GnS ponies people have, with pictures if possible. Where they got them, (MOC pictures would be great), and so on.

I'm not going to use anyone's images for the site unless I'm given permission. I am just trying to clear it up at the present time because Happyglow and Brightglow in particular are driving me a bit nuts.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Glowing Magic/Glow N Show Ponies Question...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 08:45:26 PM »
Hi Taffeta, I have a MOC Brightglow (US card), purchased from an ebay seller in the US.  It is dark here right now so the lighting is not very good, but I can try and take pics of her later this weekend for you :) 
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline hilamb

• Myrskyisä yö poni
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 11:32:59 PM »
I have a dark body colored Dazzleglow, which has not the blue hearts.

I know there are some hair variations, but cant remember what they were. :P There are some experts ehre tough, hope they will come and enlighten us. :D

Thank you :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 06:07:04 AM »
That would be great, Brightglowpony, if you don't mind.

My impression of these is that every batch is a bit different though I tend to think of blue heart Dazzle as the original edition because all of the publicity material shows her. I also know there is at least one Starglow with white in her mane, so I'm thinking the variations with this set could go on forever...

Thanks for sharing that info about the darker body and pink hearts, hilamb. I had not seen her before.  Did you get her on ebay or buy her local to you?

I'm a little bit geeky about variants like this, within normal sets :D.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 09:09:13 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 08:32:05 AM »
I'll try to take a picture of mine tomorrow; though mine have been out of the box since the 80's they didn't get played with much and sat on the shelf.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Iris Patch

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 08:09:16 PM »
I so need a Glow n' Show army... ♥‿♥

Offline hilamb

• Myrskyisä yö poni
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 12:23:52 AM »
I bought both here in the arena. :)

I remember seeing an auction some years ago on ebay, that had almost orange colored Dazzleglow, but it looked really faded, so i never bid. Still, it couldve been something else, but i know these ponies tend to fade. :P

Thank you :heart:

Iris Patch

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 07:26:53 AM »
I bought both here in the arena. :)

I remember seeing an auction some years ago on ebay, that had almost orange colored Dazzleglow, but it looked really faded, so i never bid. Still, it couldve been something else, but i know these ponies tend to fade. :P

My Dazzleglow is pretty orangey. She is the blue hearts variant. I saw pictures of really pink ones here on the Arena and was surprised mine doesn't look like that. xD I think it's a fading thing probably... it came from a box of overall very loved ponies.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 07:34:23 AM »
That is another consideration, I think. The plastic type seems to be a bit prone to shade difference and it might be to do with how translucent it generally can be. I've seen really green Starglow, and actually, my own one is a very dark aqua blue, whereas the one my sister had as a kid here in the UK is really dark blue rather than greenish blue. My loose one came from the US and her hair is coral instead of the dark pink my sister's has.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 07:39:17 AM »

That is not Happyglows original hair btw, I wanted a color that closer matched her symbol.

Each pony is unique, just like people...  ;)

I got the blue hearts from Strawberryscoops. I dyed the pink in her mane and and tail, I don't remember what the original shade of blue was so it may have affected the color. She's a bit discolored, but that doesn't bother me one bit!! (However faded pink hair is something I like to fix.) As a note, I've never had discoloration of other non-white or pink hair colors when rit dying. I'm going to pm her to see if she still kept the sales pics as I didn't take a before pic.

Edit:
Confirmed from Stawberryscoops original pic of blue hearts that in fact my AWESOME re-pinking actually changed the shade of her light turquoise hair. Eh, I learn. I honestly like her that way, the blue of her hair matches her hearts quite nicely.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 02:59:20 PM by mlp4me »

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 08:08:00 AM »
Hrm, that last one is almost coral in colour, so long as the dye didn't affect that.

I've been noticing that there are a lot of things like this in what I would call the 1991-2 line (I forget, is that year 9 or year 10 in US terminology) and I wonder whether it's because of the end of the US line and the continuation in Europe. Maybe they started switching locations or getting batches moved about or something? Because it's not just the Glowing Magic Ponies this year which are odd - I've been working on the 1991 part of my site this week and in that same release year there's the blue/purple hair variations on Pretty Beat and Baby Starbow, and the straight/curly hair variations on Tuneful, etc...and I have a really strong feeling that there were straight/curly variations on some of the Baby Ballerinas (Sweet Steps springs to mind), too.

All these different Dazzleglows are starting to boggle my mind a bit ;)

Thanks everyone, please, keep the comparisons coming. Especially with Starglow, Bright Glow as well.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 11:19:35 AM »
I never had any of these as a kid. They are so awesomely awesome!

Offline Eurocoin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 01:36:10 PM »
About one year ago I started collecting G1 with one goal - to collect all four GnS ponies. I achieved my goal late last year. Of course while I was collecting these beauties ( some of which cost me more money, than I've ever payed for a toy before), I got sucked into collecting G1 (and G3 in some extent) more broadly. I'm still missing blue hearts Dazzleglow, but from the pics I've seen, I kinda prefer the pink hearts one, because those blue hearts just look so out of place.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 02:14:20 PM »
Here are my Starglow and Happy Glow. I bought both of them from a seller at the Arena. My Dazzleglow is the blue hearts/fading pink hair version.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline StrawberryScoops

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 05:05:59 PM »
All my Glow N Show Ponies were bought in Canada. My pink hearts Dazzleglow, Happyglow, and Starglow are all my childhood ponies that I bought in the store with my mom. Starglow has pink and yellow hair. Dazzleglow has fading pink and aqua hair. Happyglow has blue and white hair. They all came with straight hair.

My Brightglow and blue hearts Dazzleglow were bought from a thrift store locally. I would assume they originate in Canada too. There is a slight wave to Brightglow's hair but it isn't overly curly. Her hair is pink and lavender. This Dazzleglow also has fading pink and aqua hair.

Here are my Dazzleglows along with the one I sold to mlp4me. In this picture the lighting makes some of the hair look blue. But all three have fading pink and aqua hair. I'm not sure why it appears more blue than it actually is.

I hope this helps. This is my first time getting pictures to work in a post! It took me awhile and a lot of preview posts to figure it out! Edit: I got the pics a bit larger! Thanks mlp4me
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 06:16:00 PM by StrawberryScoops »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal