collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Flocking! Has Anyone Found Flocking Material That Matches So Soft Ponies?  (Read 2614 times)

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
I am considering repairing my newly acquired Hippity Hop:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Poor baby - too good to be bait!

I've looked at CherryCake's tutorial a few times over the years, but that particular flocking doesn't exactly look like MLP flocking.

Has anyone found something closer to what Hasbro used?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 06:01:37 PM by LittleSpiffy »

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
I can't help, but am stalking this thread!  I just finished doing an in-depth inventory of my So Softs and I have quite a few of them that would be *so* close to minty if not for a few misplaced rubs!

Offline StarFaerie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
The problem isn't sourcing the flocking itself but the process.

The original process uses an electrostatic flocking machine in which the flocking is applied to the glue coated pony. The static charge on the flocking makes each piece stand out so it is only glued to the pony on one end and sticks straight up,to make a soft fluffy pony. To redo that properly, you'd really have to deflock and then reflock in a machine, which is a big capital outlay.

People can and do make their own flock applicators, but it is a high voltage machine so you want to know what you are doing with the electrics.

Some people, like in CherryCake's tutorial, have reflocked without that but it isn't really the same, as the flocking tends to be flat rather than fluffy without the machine. It looks ok but it's not so soft.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 11:23:29 PM by StarFaerie »
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a woman in possession of disposable income, must be in want of a pony.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
Flocking without a machine *could* be used to touch up her noticeable rub areas.  It won't look factory, it won't feel as soft, but it will typically look less noticeable than with that dark purple peeking underneath.  I touched up a Lofty and she looks a lot better, but the fixed areas are hard, not soft.

Offline Karma

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Unofficial My Little Pony Museum
I've often wanted to throw polysoft into a blender to see if it might match. I've flocked with finely cut ribbon before, and it's pretty soft, depending on the ribbon.

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Omg, the homemade gun looks terrifying XD

...and I would make it if I owned a soldering iron.  Heck, I'd reflock everyone's ponies! Hah.

This may not work, but what if I used a balloon, got it all static-y, & put the flocking powder on it?  Have glue on the bits that need reflocked & then dab the pony onto the flocking (lightly) so it picks up the powder with the fiber going the right way?

Offline Karma

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Unofficial My Little Pony Museum
Huh. I actually could totally make that. I can't right now, (no money for supplies) but I do know how to solder and have a soldering iron.

Offline Sawkinator

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Ive never tried this but I'll leave it here.
http://m.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-Flocking-or-Static-Grass-Gun-from-a-/all/

Wow... that's interesting. How do people think of this stuff?

I think you can also get a flocking applicator online for pretty cheap - it's basically a cardboard tube, but I've seen it suggested before and the results are probably better than just dumping flocking on. :P
From what I know, it really is more about the application than the material.

Offline sharnofshade

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
There's a lot more to the process than just 'get applicator, problem solved', unfortunately. You need the right flocking (most 'craft' flocking is far too short and feels prickly rather than soft when used with an applicator), the right glue (too thin, it can't support the flocking upright as it dries; too thick, the flocking can't penetrate deeply enough to get a stable bond and will shed like crazy; too rigid and the glue layer will crack if the pony is flexed, etc), and a lot of difficult, time-consuming work (hand held applicators cannot enable a full-body flock, only patches. Getting the edges between patches to look right is a huge pain in the butt).

And this is ignoring the fact that hand held applicators that are strong enough to flock a pony with a really dangerous (as in, potentially lethal if you shock yourself badly), and it's definitely not something I'd recommend customisers pick up and play with on a whim.

Do you have this playset, with these accessories? Are you interested in selling them?
I'm interested in buying! Check my wanted thread :lovey:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
Re: Flocking! Has Anyone Found Flocking Material That Matches So Soft Ponies?
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 08:15:16 PM »
Ive never tried this but I'll leave it here.
http://m.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-Flocking-or-Static-Grass-Gun-from-a-/all/
I will stick with my age old flocking "gun" which just uses muscle and air to send it flying out. 
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 02:41:20 AM »
i found on ebay   some  static flocking guns ...
has any one used them ?

from this seller 
this one  says it uses D size batteries

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 07:58:54 AM »
There's a lot more to the process than just 'get applicator, problem solved', unfortunately. You need the right flocking (most 'craft' flocking is far too short and feels prickly rather than soft when used with an applicator), the right glue (too thin, it can't support the flocking upright as it dries; too thick, the flocking can't penetrate deeply enough to get a stable bond and will shed like crazy; too rigid and the glue layer will crack if the pony is flexed, etc), and a lot of difficult, time-consuming work (hand held applicators cannot enable a full-body flock, only patches. Getting the edges between patches to look right is a huge pain in the butt).

And this is ignoring the fact that hand held applicators that are strong enough to flock a pony with a really dangerous (as in, potentially lethal if you shock yourself badly), and it's definitely not something I'd recommend customisers pick up and play with on a whim.

All of this. Honestly, going through the work and expense of trying to find the right materials and supplies to try to accurately recreate the so-soft look and texture to restore ponies is ... ehh... it's just probably not going to be worth it. Now if you want to try to flock a pony with some grass flocking to make a fun custom, sure, go for it!

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 09:20:14 AM »
i found on ebay   some  static flocking guns ...
has any one used them ?

from this seller 
this one  says it uses D size batteries

I might just be game to get one and try it out...  Not sure if my husband would be on board with it, but if I do, you guys will be the first to know!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal