collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Some oddities in my ponies?  (Read 1166 times)

ponygrl07

• Trade Count: (0)
Some oddities in my ponies?
« on: December 27, 2014, 07:00:52 PM »
I have been cataloging my G1s recently and noticed I had a few odd balls in the herd. Can anyone tell me about these?

I have two Baby Tiddley-Winks that seem to be slightly different.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

One is a dark (redish) pink and the other is a lighter (Blue) pink.

The pony with the lighter pink body also has one of her hooves marked out?

Another oddball in my herd has been rehaired??? I have bought almost all of my G1s at yard sales/flea markets and I find it very odd to find a pony rehaired.

The Sprinkles on the right I believe has been rehaired. Her mane and tail have very little body/super shiny/and almost too bright of a blue. Feels very thin/silky.

Any thoughts on these oddballs?

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Some oddities in my ponies?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 07:04:10 PM »
Could be age, but my guess is that you have a store-bought and mail-order of each.

Each pony came with their respective playset (store-bought) and in later years, Hasbro re-released many of the same exact ponies as Mail Order exclusives.

Online Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 08:30:25 PM »
Actually, isn't the MO version of Sprinkles more of a bright pink? I thought that was how you told her apart - she had a Firefly-colored body. You may be right for Baby Cuddles though! Wasn't there also a NC or German version of Baby Cuddles too? I think of that only because of the hoof being smudged out, though.

For Sprinkles... gosh, I dunno. Different releases year-to-year? Factory variation??
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline cricket

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 09:01:49 PM »
The Sprinkles on the right is definitely the play set version and not a rehair.  I agree that the MO version is a bubblegum pink as opposed to the pale purple of play set Sprinkles.  I'm not sure on your Cuddles but I'm sure experts will come along soon to clear this up.  :) 

Offline Aerora

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 09:02:11 PM »
Could the baby without a country stamp be Spanish?

Offline princessluna11706

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 09:20:02 PM »
The baby without a stamp intrigues me!  I'd love to know more about her myself :)

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

Online Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 01:48:12 AM »
You know, I've been thinking about it, and isn't it possible that the Sprinkles on the left is a faded version of the one on the right?
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 03:09:35 AM »
Snapdragon is right-- MO Sprinkles is a dead ringer for Firefly, very distinctive.  Yours are definitely both the playset version.  I'm not sure about one being re-haired-- I see what you mean about the colours looking different.  Can you tell if her head has been removed/glued back on, or if the plugs look like original factory work from the inside?

It seems odd that a discoloured pony has been rehaired to me, you'd only bother with that if it were a very special pony or you were making a custom.  Interested to know what the experts think!

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 03:31:56 AM »
Weren't there some ponies that were factory error in that they were made with water nixie by mistake instead of atomic turquoise, and the other way around as well? I'm sure I read that someplace around here - and I'm sure Sprinkles was one of those mentioned as well as Majesty?

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 03:33:51 AM »
The Baby Tiddly Winks with the Pat Pend removed (covered over) is a later release, after the Patent was granted.

With Sprinkles, she's definitely not Mail Order as MO version is just Firefly with different symbols (ie Firefly pink). The one with the bluer hair is the one I see most often, it's actually the other one on the left that looks different to me. I don't think there's anything more than batch differences going on but I've never seen a Sprinkles with hair as tidy and not sticking vertically up in the air as the one on the left.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 05:55:12 AM »
Could the baby without a country stamp be Spanish?

She's not Spanish as she still has the Hong Kong mark ;) that wouldn't be there if she were Spanish.

Sarah -Bee is spot on about her being a later release as she's missing the pat pend mark.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 08:31:38 AM »
Just to add: yes, both of your Sprinkles are regular old in-store playset versions. I don't know about the hair batch switch Stormness_1 mentions (intriguing!), but there were batches of both Majesty and Sprinkles manufactured with very VERY limp hair (just like your Sprinkles on the right). I think the early playset ponies sometimes just got more cheaply made b/c you can also find Peachy and Lemon Drop w/ uncharacteristically limp hair. These four (Maj, Spr, Pea, LD) really vary a lot in quality of both hair and plastic. Majesty, Sprinkles, and Lemon Drop often have plastic problems (for Majesty and Sprinkles, usually brown head syndrome) whereas the Main 12 of Year 2 seem to be consistently better quality and have fewer problems with time.
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

ponygrl07

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »
Thanks everyone for the info! Its funny to see the differences in batches.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 11:44:17 AM »
Yes just to echo the comments on Sprinkles its something common on her and Majesty. Both sets had multiple releases across multiple years and in many countries - you get one range with the choppy hair and one with a slightly nicer wave, one in each Water Nixie and Atomic Turquoise colours :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 07:08:33 PM »
Yeah, I had the Sprinkles with untidy hair growing up (got her secondhand), and when I got the one with normal, curling-around-the-neck hair when I collected as an adult I was surprised at the difference.

I sometimes wonder if one of the two lavender versions is a mail order, along with the already-known mail order pink Sprinkles. I know that's almost a heretical statement :blush:, but the true pink mail order Sprinkles is so rare; I've literally never seen one on Ebay and can hardly find photos online. It's hard for me to believe that Sprinkles was requested by mail so rarely. Mail-order Majesty turns up regularly enough, if not all that often. I wonder if Hasbro started their mail order with pink Sprinkles, realized she was the wrong color compared to the original lavender Sprinkles that came with the waterfall (crazy-hair Sprinkles), and then released curling-around-the-neck hair lavender Sprinkles for all future mail-orders? Just another crazy idea.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal