collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Teddy Tanks are now being sold in stores  (Read 2694 times)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Teddy Tanks are now being sold in stores
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2014, 10:39:47 AM »
It is true that fish are often not seen as real animals- the fair goldfish is one example, but there are others. There is a hotel that I walk by everyday to work, and (before it got really cold) they always had a goldfish in a tiny bowl in that area where the bellman waits to take your luggage/car.  I found out later that all of the rooms have tiny goldfish bowls with goldfish in them.  Each by themselves.  Each in a tiny bowl.  It seems so ridiculously cruel, and it surprises me considering how fruity/animal conscious Seattle can be.

Even more shocking, (although a little off topic) did you guys know that in the US, there are no animal cruelty laws for chickens? CHICKENS.  I think because of how active the lobbyists for fast food companies are.  Makes me so outraged and sad (probably because I have backyard chickens and know they are anything but simple animals)

brittney_rochelle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2014, 10:59:42 AM »
The only thing protecting chickens is that you cannot fight them anymore. :(

I seen these again and I thought "how cute would these be to put blind bags or other 'kawaii' things in?"

Sprinklecupcake

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2014, 10:22:23 AM »
I had no idea what ya'l lwere talking about until I went to go get my lizzie and snakie food at the pet store today. There was a wall of them and I stopped to stare at them. I was absolutley DISCUSTED. Even more, they used a betta in the picture. I have kept lots of bettas in the past- i have some now. They have a labyrinth organ so they need to breath AIR in order to live! Yes, there ate fish that breathe air- look it up! Theres no room for to top of the tank for fresh air to get to. How the heck are ypu supposed to feed them, bettas are carnivorous and eat bugs, meat, pellets, plankton, etc. A goldfish would die in there as they NEED cooler water, and with a fuzzy plush and tiny boel the water would get warm too fast and the fish would die. Most fish need a constant flow of water.  Also these are TOO TINY for a fish, theres no room for a filter or thermometer!!??? And ornamental fish need to be, well, ornamental- NOT TREATED LIKE A TOY. I feel absolutley discusty right now. Just when I felt these stupid tiny commercial betta tanks couldnt get anymore stupider.

:angry:

Post Merge: November 26, 2014, 10:34:24 AM

Thanks so much for sharing this petition! I signed IMMEDIETLY!

Post Merge: November 26, 2014, 10:40:24 AM

Even more shocking, (although a little off topic) did you guys know that in the US, there are no animal cruelty laws for chickens? CHICKENS.  I think because of how active the lobbyists for fast food companies are.  Makes me so outraged and sad (probably because I have backyard chickens and know they are anything but simple animals)

I can vouch for this! And yes, mostly fast food chains and frozen food places will do this too to their animals. I HAVE seen it before at Tyson and around big farms in Indiana, its absolutley discusting. Im really glad i dont eat meat (i hate it anyways... gross to me) because it also means im not supporting thode companies. Also downtown theres a lot of hispanic places with chickens and the things I see evil children do to the roosters and hens :cry: once we drove down that area and I saw this fat kid was riding his bike and was smaked their pet chicken with a stick in their yard! How TERRIBLE! :yikes: they are definitly not stupid animals, they do feel pain and i really do feel for them.

Post Merge: November 26, 2014, 10:47:03 AM

The only thing protecting chickens is that you cannot fight them anymore. :(

I seen these again and I thought "how cute would these be to put blind bags or other 'kawaii' things in?"

I agree, maybe they people who made these should have marketed ya know... a stuffed animal with a jar for a belly to be filled with toys, not. a living creature!?? Blindbags, hot wheels, small toys, even candy would be better for advertising their product. Why are companies so STUPID!?? x(
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 10:47:03 AM by Sprinklecupcake »

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2014, 12:28:09 PM »
I had no idea what ya'l lwere talking about until I went to go get my lizzie and snakie food at the pet store today. There was a wall of them and I stopped to stare at them. I was absolutley DISCUSTED.

If this is your regular pet store you could calmly ask why they are selling a product that is so obviously harmful to the fish, and tell them you're not comfortable shopping there as long as they are selling them. As consumers we do have pull, and if enough people call them out on it they might think twice about stocking them. At least it could be worth a try.

Sprinklecupcake

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2014, 10:57:48 PM »
Thats a great idea! Im sure some employees feel the same way we do, i thnk corprate is the one deciding to carry it- it was a petsmart. Petsmart already makes me cry sometimes but... :cry:

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2014, 11:27:14 PM »
These would make adorable gum ball machines or something. They won't make adorable dead fish containers. This idea is about as fun as the one they had before where the fish went into shoes.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2014, 04:02:19 PM »
... That's messed up. On a similar note, did you know that Amazon sells live animals that they send through the mail? (Hermit Crabs, snails, fish, etc.)

Going to sign the petition. If I see any in a store I'm going to picket.

Offline melipuffles

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2014, 04:21:37 PM »
This whole idea is nuts...I don't understand the mentality behind any living thing being considered a throw away pet... I wanted to get a Betta and was doing all sorts of research to make his home super comfy and nice, and somebody said to me "Why does it need all that? It's just a fish. It will die in a few weeks."  -_-

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2014, 04:40:12 PM »
Okay, so they're selling these on Amazon. I went to this page: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N51ZH8G and wrote a review (under the name Judy Maxwell). I recommend that everyone else go on there (or, to add variety and spread it out, on one of the other options -- I just wrote my review on the unicorn one) and write a bad review of the product as well. People are usually less likely to buy a product if the reviews are very bad.

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2014, 04:57:21 PM »
To be fair, those things aren't entirely useless. You can always put cool knick knacks in them. Colorful stones, marbles, even colored sand might look nice.

I've considered getting one and filling it with my blind bag ponies for a soft display option.

But for the love of gosh, do N O T put any real fish in there!! Or anything living, for that matter. Fish need waaay more space than that and would suffer.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2014, 01:43:46 AM »
Yeah the second picture actually shows it being used as a bank. Honestly that would have been a perfect thing to market it as. It's good for kids to learn how to save up money and then to have it double as a stuffed animal is cute. Teddy Bank instead of Teddy Tank.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 01:48:45 AM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

brittney_rochelle

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2014, 08:58:41 PM »
I couldn't fathom keeping a goldfish in this type of tank. They have a low mortality rate because people don't understand their needs. I've had my Walmart-bought Black Moor for 3 years now (his birthday was october!) and I have people ask me all the time "whats your secret to keeping it alive?"
:(

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2014, 07:36:11 AM »
I heard some lady at walmart say she flushed a LIVE pleco down the drain because it got to big for the tank. UH YEAH. Those tiny plecos that walmart sells can grow over 2 feet.

... That's messed up. On a similar note, did you know that Amazon sells live animals that they send through the mail? (Hermit Crabs, snails, fish, etc.)
So does Ebay. There is even a site called aquabid that is the Ebay of the aquatics trade world.
It's pretty common to send fish through the mail but that fact that it's Amazon is a bit odd.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2014, 09:05:43 AM »
I couldn't fathom keeping a goldfish in this type of tank. They have a low mortality rate because people don't understand their needs. I've had my Walmart-bought Black Moor for 3 years now (his birthday was october!) and I have people ask me all the time "whats your secret to keeping it alive?"
:(
That's very sad. 3 years is not long at all considering how long a moor can live (they can live as long as your dog, hellooooo!), but people believe just see them as disposable fair fish that die on the way home. :cry:
I have a China doll Ryukin that's turning 3 in the next few weeks. High five for good pet care!  :hifive:

Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline melipuffles

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2014, 09:48:25 AM »
My mom wanted to get my little brother a goldfish because "they're easy to take care of, you put them in a bowl and feed them."
 I love goldfish, but I know I wouldn't want one as a pet because fish require quite a bit of care.

On the same note, I can't stand it when parents get their children hamsters and then complain when the hamsters bite their kids. They're not really good for little kids who are going to be rough with them...My friend accidentally killed hers as a kid because it bit her and she dropped it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal