collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anybody see the latest episode of Storage Wars?  (Read 6364 times)

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Anybody see the latest episode of Storage Wars?
« on: November 11, 2014, 10:31:24 PM »
The new season of Storage Wars started tonight, and I got a surprise while watching it.  They "found" a bin of G3 ponies and a large plush Pinkie Pie in one of the lockers.  It ended up being one of the featured items for the episode.  They went to get the  bin of G3s and the plush valued by a brony.   The information he gave was slightly less than accurate, and he sang a song about ponies.  It was quite weird. 

[Merged two threads to keep the conversation in one place ~ Thanks, Mirnyj]
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 01:14:38 PM by Mirnyj »

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody see the latest episode of Storage Wars?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 12:54:33 AM »
It was very strange!! I was wondering if this was an old episode and I'd somehow missed hearing about it until now, but what a wild ride from start to finish!

When I saw them going to get the toys valued by a toy/comic shop (which definitely didn't throw some G3 toys on the shelves to look like he was knowledgeable, wink wink), I thought, "any Brony isn't gonna give a hoot about those G3 ponies, he's gonna go straight for the gigantic G4 plush!!", and instead he completely ignored the massive Pinkie Pie and gave hugely inflated price checks for common G3s. $800 for a box of loose G3s with a few MIBs? Time to sell my doubles I guess, I'm sitting on a goldmine over here!!! :P

Seriously though, did anyone recognize the giant Pinkie Pie? Was it one of those rocking-horse plushies, or was it custom made? It looked almost too nice to be store-bought!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 01:19:48 AM »
If what was in that bin is really worth as much as they said it was, I should probably sell what's in my closet so I can buy a bigger house and take the first class trip around the world I've always wanted to do:p

I found how he pulled out that G3 Rainbow Dash from the Core 7 years and said how that pony was worth more than the other ones because she's such a popular pony particularly hilarious.  I'm betting that we're in for a wave of "$uper Rare Rainbow Da$h" auctions hitting ebay soon.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 01:22:11 AM by goddessofpeep »

Offline Snapdragon

• G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 02:17:12 AM »
I found how he pulled out that G3 Rainbow Dash from the Core 7 years and said how that pony was worth more than the other ones because she's such a popular pony particularly hilarious.  I'm betting that we're in for a wave of "$uper Rare Rainbow Da$h" auctions hitting ebay soon.

YES, OH MY GOD!!!! I was like "UHHH, NO, WRONG, INCORRECT, HAVE YOU EVER MET ANY BRONIES, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING????" at my screen. XD (I may need to relearn the 'people on the TV can't hear you in your house' lesson.)
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 02:46:07 AM »
They go to a brony to ask about G3's?  I wouldn't even trust them to know the true value of G4 toys.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 04:42:40 AM »
Interesting.  This leads me to believe most of these episodes are partially fake and they inflate the prices of things to make it more exciting for the viewer. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 04:52:39 AM »
Ughhh now every flea market seller that saw this episode will think their baity ponies are worth a fortune and will jack the prices up even higher!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 05:01:04 AM »
Well, the value of something is how much people are willing to pay for it.  Even if you get it appraised, that's not the price you will necessarily get in the end.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 05:06:30 AM »
Well, the value of something is how much people are willing to pay for it.  Even if you get it appraised, that's not the price you will necessarily get in the end.

Yes, but in this case the appraised value also sounds way off base.  Sounds like the guy had no idea what he was talking about, or like they purposefully made the episode more exciting by saying this was a fantastic find worth lots!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 05:10:26 AM »
Yes, but in this case the appraised value also sounds way off base.  Sounds like the guy had no idea what he was talking about, or like they purposefully made the episode more exciting by saying this was a fantastic find worth lots!
Typically on these shows they go to someone who actually buys and sells the type of things they find.  In this case instead of going to a toy dealer they went to a brony.  Does the guy they went to see actually sell pony toys or was he just a fan?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 05:27:18 AM by Al-1701 »

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 05:20:55 AM »
Good question!

Artsy Craftsy

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 06:02:42 AM »
I want to know more about the big Pinkie Plush!

But yeah, I don't even know that much about pricing, but I knew $15-$20 for the mib ones was waaaay off base. This episode made me cringe >.<

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 06:34:52 AM »
Seems to me that they just wanted to shoehorn a brony in there because it's...topical?  "Bronies are a thing now, let's put that in the show because ratings!"  Yeah, I'm gonna go with that.  :huh:

I won't waste my time watching though.  I'm sure it's cringe-worthy.
Instagram / Want List

cutest-curtsey

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 08:07:51 AM »
a small part of me died, reading this thread i will admit.

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 08:29:10 AM »
HA! 800$ my flank. Those people are doing to be severely disappointed.

But I can't say I'm surprised that these guys made such a huge mistake. Remember the "furry" episode? The one that they staged
to have actors in poorly made rental mascot costumes make the actual stars uncomfortable? Yeah. They don't know a thing.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal