collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to start collection on slim budget?  (Read 1892 times)

freyjaloh

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How to start collection on slim budget?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 10:27:37 PM »
For me, i sort of have a want list, i will search for pony in that list. Like TE, shs and rainbow ponies. I will stray tho if i come across any cheap pony.

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 10:40:47 PM »
I always felt lots were a really good way of expanding a collection quickly.  You get a large influx of ponies all at once, and anything you don't want can be used as trade stock for other ponies.  Large lots tend to bring out the resellers and the crazy bidders, but smaller lots(around 10 ponies) can often be had for reasonable prices. 

Lots do have a few downsides though.  Sellers often give  vague and general conditions for the whole lot like "just need a wash" and "all in good condition".  This can lead to some nasty surprises later on.  If the ponies aren't pictured individually on both sides, you need to be extra careful with the condition. 

Another issue that can happen is that if your collection grows too quickly, you can start to forget what you have, or just not "bond" with the new ponies.  A single pony in the mail gets a lot of attention when it arrives.  Some collectors like to enjoy just one pony for a while before getting another one.  The flip side to that is getting a big lot in can be REALLY fun.  I *love* going through a big lot.  It's not mail, it's an event!

Offline TickleMePink

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 01:19:19 AM »
So many good tips and tricks!
As for Tradera, that´s my main go-to source for ponies because of the low shipping within Sweden.

I think I´ll keep checking those thrift shops, make a wish list and stick to it, and buy in lots if/when I can afford to.

Right now my main goal is to get the ponies I envied my friends growing up, the ones I have clear memories of such as Glory, Surprise and Gusty. After that, let´s see :-)
:lovey: Yes to dance beneith the diamond sky with one hand waving free :lovey:
Thanks to Nence for my avatar!
Formerly known as gredelingrrrl

robinharper

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 01:30:32 PM »
Hi,

I have only recently started collecting G1 My Little Pony's too and I am also on a slim budget so here is how I do it.

1) I am going through the lists of Pony's year by year and have put the ones I want on a board on Pinterest since I have an account there.  It isn't all that easy with the lists, I know, since there are sometimes so many variations of one Pony but it is worth the time (and fun too to revisit all those childgood memories that come with seeing old familiar Pony's)

2) Check selling sites from countries that don't have huge shipping fees for sending stuff to your home

3) When inetrested in for instance one Pony, I Always check also the rest of the My Little Pony adds from that person.  You never know whether they have more My Little Pony stuff you could be interested in like accessoires.  Buying more from one and the same person saves on shipping costs. 
And if nothing is on their add page, ask.  Often they do have still more Pony's to sell but haven't gotten around to putting adds yet for the My Little Pony's on the selling sites.

Hope this helps a bit.  And good luck!

Hugs

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 01:40:02 PM »
I would recommend buying from the Arena. It will be more affordable than ebay. I'd also recommend buying several ponies from the same seller to save on shipping. Some sellers might also give you a bit of a discount if you make a large purchase.

You'll need to decide what condition is acceptable. The poorer the condition, the less expensive they'll be. That may be good for your budget now, but in a few years as your collection expands you might find yourself wishing that you paid a bit more for ponies in better condition.

When I first started collecting, I didn't know anything about ponies. I didn't know that a few years down the line I would become completely OCD about having ponies with perfect, unrubbed/unscratched eyes, nice soft hair, and no regrind or cancer. I think the best thing for you to do is review a website like www.ponylandpress.com and create a Want List for yourself in order of most wanted to least, do a little research to find out which ponies are affordable and which you'll need to wait on, and go from there.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 04:10:02 PM »
Hands down I agree on the idea of buying in lots. That's the best way to grow a collection on the least amount of money; typically you will find the price per pony is lower in lots than buying individually and you should also be able to save on shipping as well.

However I also love the suggestion to buy what you like not what's popular and don't assume because its pricey you have to like it or have to have it in your collection. Your ponies should be ones you want, love and appreciate of course. And take your time. Most people on the Arena will have taken years and years to get their collections to the levels they are now with lots of selling and trading and chopping and changing along the way. So dont rush into purchases; spend time putting together a wish list, make sure you are confident in the condition you would be looking for ponies and go from there.

Check out the sales forums on the Arena, you can often find people selling larger numbers of ponies and for good buy it now prices.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline TickleMePink

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 04:26:11 AM »
I´m working on my wish list and boy, is it hard to keep it short! I´ve divided in to a smaller section with the ponies I really really want, and a bigger one for ponies that I´ll buy if I stumble upon them cheap. But even then it´s hard to keep it short :-) so many gorgeous ponies out there!

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 05:17:22 AM »
The real question is, how to finish a collection on a slim budget...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 02:41:54 PM by ponyqueen »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline slyons

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 06:20:24 AM »
The real question is, how to finish a collection on a slip budget...

Where's the like button?   :)

Thank you Shaiyeh and Griffin for my adoptables!!

Offline TickleMePink

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2014, 07:44:23 AM »
The real question is, how to finish a collection on a slip budget...

I can only just imagine ponyqueen. Oh the agony!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2014, 02:34:20 PM »
I´m working on my wish list and boy, is it hard to keep it short! I´ve divided in to a smaller section with the ponies I really really want, and a bigger one for ponies that I´ll buy if I stumble upon them cheap. But even then it´s hard to keep it short :-) so many gorgeous ponies out there!

Make it as long as you need it to be :) A long wish list does make it easier to shop - more options after all!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2014, 04:03:22 PM »

I can't wait to see it!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2014, 02:10:55 PM »
I would suggest looking here. You're not going to have to deal with bidding wars. Agree with the saving up. If you buy from local sellers it will save you a lot on shipping. Make a list of all the ponies that you don't have and keep it up to date.
::Cough, Cough:: Some of us only sell on here and have common ponies that starting collectors (if are not picky about condition) may be interested in...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline TickleMePink

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2014, 05:24:56 AM »
So I took your advice and went thrift shopping yesterday, and I just have to show you what I found: Sherbet, Lemon Drop, Pretty Vision and Songster plus a little Fluttershy, got them all for approx $13.

They were filthy and raggedy but I took them home and gave them a spa day, and they cleaned up really nicely!

Post Merge: November 16, 2014, 05:31:37 AM

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 05:42:54 AM by gredelingrrrl »

Offline slyons

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2014, 06:16:48 AM »
Oh awesome!!!! See what I was saying about pony luck whilst thrifting!? Congrats on your new additions!
Pretty Vision looks like she has an amazing body!
:blink: wait... That came out weird sounding....lol.
Your collection is getting off to a great start! (Before spa and after spa pics work for us too!) :biggrin:

Thank you Shaiyeh and Griffin for my adoptables!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal