collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Lemme Upgrade U  (Read 1516 times)

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Lemme Upgrade U
« on: October 26, 2014, 02:37:03 PM »
I don't know what possessed me to make that title other than it's catchy (I must stress that I am not a fan of Beyonce or Jay-Z. I did like Destiny's Child once upon a time, but I'm not fond of the monster she has become even if she did collect MLP back in the day).

Back on topic, how do you feel about upgrading ponies?

I have a few ponies who I've come to love but who could use an upgrade. Yum Yum, for instance, is affected by pindot mold and brittle, faded pink hair. But I have a soft spot for her and the idea of replacing her saddens me. Sure, I could get a duplicate, but that can become a dangerous game when space is limited. Do you upgrade? Or do you re-pink/restore or find other ways to deal with your ponies in need of some TLC?

I don't know why I get so sentimental about plastic toys! Does anyone else get this way?

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Lemme Upgrade U
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 03:41:30 PM »
I don't upgrade... I love the ones I have, and I share the love with others when I find duplicates.  :)  Even if they have flaws, it gives them character!
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 04:16:08 PM »
I do upgrade, but I must admit sometimes I feel sad like they are getting "replaced."  I cannot explain it either!  I have two 4-Speeds; one is mint, and the other has some flaws and trimmed hair.  The one with the flaws came with his original bandana, so I went to remove it from him to put it on the nicer one, and suddenly felt terrible for taking it from just because he had flaws.  So he still wears it today and I'm keeping both of them :P  But for many ponies I upgrade, I do have to re-sell some ponies for sake of space and to re-coup some funds.  But oftentimes people I know buy them so it is easier to let them go because I know they will be cherished :)   
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 04:55:49 PM »
I like to restore the less than perfect ones :) Or turn them into alternate rehairs. I've been so lazy about getting pics lately but I just did a bunch of restores/rehairs on ponies in my collection, including two Argies. They look so much happier now.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Gloomygirl777

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 05:24:37 PM »
I definitely understand how you feel. I have limited funds to spend on ponies so I never really end up with a perfect one. And I usually tell myself that eventually I am going to get an upgrade for the ones I think have bad flaws but then the longer I have them I decide that I want to keep them and even if I did get a replacement I wouldn't want to get rid of my original one because I have become attached to it so then I tell myself well then there is really no point in getting another one then. So I guess my answer is that I don't upgrade??

I have always wondered why I get sentimental feelings about toys as well but I would probably need a therapist to figure that out... :lol:

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 07:15:47 PM »
Depends on the pony.

There are some that I'm very attached to, especially my two childhood ones and my first thrift store finds.  They aren't going anywhere.  There are others, however, that I haven't developed a deep bond with just yet.  So if I find a nicer one, I'll happily pass along one.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 07:19:02 PM »
I just started collecting G1's and I only have 10 so far, but I don't think I'll ever upgrade.  Probably just have duplicates when I come across ones in better shape.  All the ones I have right now are in great condition though, so I may never have that problem.  My biggest problem with any of my collections is that I absolutely hate letting go of something I own, so I'd have a hard time upgrading for a better looking pony.  I have no issues with hoarding though; the more ponies the better!  :lol:
Instagram / Want List

Offline Princess-Sparkles

• Princess pony from Aus
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic expert. ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 12:30:21 AM »
I guess it depends for me; there's some ponies that I just love even though they're baity and there's others that I just have not attachment to at all...

My flea market ponies I love to death, not matter the condition I just love them. :heart:
Some ponies I upgrade, others I just sell and don't bother buying another because I've had 0 attachment to the pony.
And there's some ponies I just love and would never part with. :heart:
Thank you SDS for my Princess Sparke avatar and thank you Shenanigans for my signature. ^_^
~My want list

Wanted: Baby Cotton Candy and Bowties with bad hair and hair cuts. :)

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 06:00:33 AM »
I upgrade. I love my ponies, but if I find one in better shape, I feel it is right to sell the other who is more flawed. In my eyes I would be depriving another fellow collector of a piece they may need or desire, and I feel it is more than enough to have one of said pony (one of each variant that is lol). I love them, but I feel more guilty if I think I am depriving someone who would love to have one.
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Truly

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 07:06:29 AM »
I mostly upgrade ones that have personal value, I can't really describe what I mean but I'll try, for example; I will upgrade for better ponies if I can for a pony that I saw as a kid but never got,  so that I can have a nice one to enjoy. This is probably just for Rockin' Beats Half Note, who it proving to be a task to find the right one! Otherwise if it's a sweet little pony I'll love them to no end!

koteuku

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 09:39:45 AM »
Aww, it's my weaknes as well, I don't think I'd be able to giveaway a baby that grows up by my side or replace it with somone else. ; A;
For example I got two Desert Rose Crystal Slipper Princesses lately. I got both of them to complete a full set of accessories for the one I was going to keep and planned to sell the other one, but they look so, soo adorable together (and so different), I immediately decided they are sisters and both of them are a part of my family.  :blush:

Offline LadySatine

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • It's time for the robot test!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 10:28:28 AM »
I have never really worried about the condition of a pony that I receive, so I will never upgrade. Actually, if I get a double, I sell the one that is in better condition and keep the other one for my collection. So really I am a downgrader. Which doesn't appear to be a word. :lol:

Vintage toys on Ebay:MLP Customs on Etsy: :freak: Commission Status: CLOSED:Avatar by FloralHippo:Siggy pony by Griffin :lol:

Offline LittleHoneyPie

• Trade Count: (+79)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Only love is real!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 12:29:19 PM »
I upgrade, but most of the time don't actively seek them out. So I would hardly ever bid on a single pony just for the sake of upgrading it, but I might want to buy a pony lot for something else, and then getting other possible upgrades seems like more good reason to bid!  :)

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 12:54:29 PM »
I upgrade, but I also keep my originals.  They aren't rare, or minty, but they mean way more to me than they are worth if I sell them.  Those are the ones my kids can play with....if I ever have kids who like ponies, lol.

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 01:10:53 PM »
I'm not good at letting ponies go either.  :lol:

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store