collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Disney Fairies  (Read 6251 times)

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
Disney Fairies
« on: September 23, 2014, 12:58:25 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

In 2005, Gail Carson Levine (author of Ella Enchanted) wrote Fairy Dust and the Quest for the Egg, a reimagining of the Tinker Bell character from Peter Pan designed to flesh out Tink's life and give her a world ("Pixie Hollow" in Neverland) and friends of her own kind. Not unlike G4 ponies with their cutie marks, fairies are sorted based on their special talents, which can range from the broad (water talent, cooking talent) to the extremely specific (tall-tale-telling talent, specific-room-cleaning talent) as required for any given story. Tinker Bell herself is a tinker talent, an all-purpose engineer who specializes in invention. Like a much-expanded version of the G4 pegasi, fairies are in charge of maintaining nature in the human world, and even when they're not actively changing the seasons, they're hard at work practicing their jobs and getting ready for the next season and the like.

Gail Carson Levine wrote two more books in the series, starring many of the same characters in exciting adventure stories, such as Mother Dove, the loving matron of all the fairies, and Beck, her animal talent caretaker. Rani the water talent fairy gets the most abuse; not only is she very emotional (as a water talent, she's very prone to crying and sniffling and the like), but she has to cut off her wings (making her the only fairy who can swim) and she ends up with a bat living inside of her brain. Other authors wrote books too, as the series was expanded into the full Disney Fairies franchise, with dolls and other toys of the various characters available in major stores, comic book adaptations of the book stories, and so on.

In 2008, Disney released the first animated movie in the series, simply titled "Tinker Bell." Similar to G3's transformation into G3.5, the film abandoned most of the previous main characters of the franchise--except for Tinker Bell herself and her rival Vidia the fast-flying fairy--and replaced them with other fairies with simpler designs (seen above) who had been minor characters at best. Queen Clarion became the fairies' ultimate authority figure after playing second fiddle to Mother Dove (and usually nicknamed Queen Ree) in the books. Some of the discrepancies are explainable by time period--the films are set before the events of Peter Pan, while Levine's books are definitely set after--but the absence of Mother Dove in particular is bizarre. It's probably easiest not to try to connect them into a single continuity at all.

Tinker Bell and her film friends show all the standard traits for a children's cartoon. They're clearly color coded (Vidia, not pictured above, is purple), have distinct personalities and races or at least hair colors (Asian Silvermist, Hispanic Fawn, southern Rosetta...), have non-overlapping skills, and are all good friends. Except for Vidia, who spends the first three movies getting over her initial dislike of Tinker Bell and her unfamiliarity with the idea of having friends at all. Your winged Sunset Shimmer, if you will.

Animated Disney Fairies is up to five main movies (Tinker Bell, The Lost Treasure, The Great Fairy Rescue, Secret of the Wings, and The Pirate Fairy), plus a twenty-minute special (Pixie Hollow Games) and a six-minute one (Pixie Hollow Bake-Off). In all but one of the main movies, all of Pixie Hollow is in danger of being destroyed forever, which is pretty impressive. Usually it's Tinker Bell herself's fault, too! There are also a whole bunch of animated shorts, some but not all clearly connected to whatever movie was next to come out at the time, which tend to be about a minute long and are more in the slice of life vein, sometimes without any dialogue. Tinker Bell is always the main character of the full-length movies, but in the shorts (and in Pixie Hollow Games) she's just one of the girls.

Here's a taste! I like this one for how much it manages to say about each of the girls' personalities just through the simple act of catching a thrown seed.
Here's another that's not particularly great, but it does a good job of showing Tinker Bell's STEM nature. A later character, Zarina, is some sort of fantastic biochemist (and an amazing queer analogue I mean oh my god).

The Tinker Bell movies have been said to be somewhere between cinema-release quality and direct-to-DVD quality, and that's pretty fair. I think they're better made than Equestria Girls (except for the songs--the Tink films have solid background music but not-so-great pop songs) but not at the level of a full Frozen. To be fair, they've been released all but annually. Animation styles are naturally subjective, but I like them better than some of the more stylized movies out there, though the lower budget does sometimes show through when the camera pulls back too far and you see a big field or forest where everything looks exactly the same. There's almost always some amount of pixie dust on screen and it's always shiny and beautiful.

One fascinating thing about the Fairies movies is how much revision they go through in development, to the point where it's normal for them to get first trailers containing barely any footage that ends up being in the final films. Also radical plot divergences. Spoilered because less general interest:
Spoiler
Tinker Bell. This movie was famously thrown out during production for being "unwatchable"--I'm not sure if that's what we're seeing here, because the main characters are the same, but it's definitely very different from the final release. Wendy Darling gets a much larger role and it seems closer to the grounds Great Fairy Rescue would cover a couple years later. And maybe the pixie dust tree was going to move to the mainland? Some of that footage got released in shorts, but everything from Tink's first appearance on is a big unknown.
Great Fairy Rescue. Same general thrust, but very different take on Lizzy, and the first half or so of the trailer is unfamiliar.
Secret of the Wings (aka Mysterious Winter Woods). The story looks like it was much more ensemble-oriented at this point (the final film is nothing but Tink (and Periwinkle) most of the time), and while warm fairy wings not working in the winter woods ended up being a major plot point, there'd nothing of that here at all. I can't tell if this would have been before or after Peri was decided to be Tink's sister.
Pixie Hollow Games. Not exactly a trailer in the same way as the others, but you can see some footage of events that never made it into the final. PHG in particular seems to have gone through a ridiculous amount of direction changes, ending up as a twenty-minute special instead of a full film, with very little promotional material mentioning that it's about Rosetta and barely anyone else.

The easiest criticism of the series is that Tinker Bell doesn't act like she did in Peter Pan. Some of that is attributable to the timeframe--Tink in Levine's books is grouchier than she is in the movies--but ultimately yeah, that's just something you have to accept. Disney wanted a likable protagonist. She still gets angry and can be kind of snippy, but she's toned down. Characters sometimes go missing (Terence, Tink's ostensible love interest, has barely appeared in the movies since starring in Lost Treasure and is totally absent from the shorts). Pants are not nearly as common as short skirts. All the predictable concerns about body type apply here too (though not as dramatically as in, say, Winx Club): all the main characters are young and beautiful, except for the boys, who are allowed an actual variety of body types. But the one larger woman (Fairy Mary, an authority figure) is treated with nothing but respect and affection, and everyone gets their share of physical comedy.

But personally I'm willing to look past that, because the fairies have strong friendships and real responsibilities (of varying relatability to the real world--again, Tink and Zarina are wonderful STEM ladies, but it's hard to find work pointing sun rays at flowers) and distinct personalities, and that's all something worth supporting. The movies pit them against big world-changing problems, not stolen cupcakes. Secret of the Wings (coincidentally?) does the same thing as megahit Frozen of taking a romance plot and applying it to a pair of sisters instead. Also, they're all really cute, so that helps.

It's 2014, though, and the Disney Fairies franchise is winding down. This isn't the first time it's been warned about, but now it looks like it's going to happen for real. There haven't been any new books in a few years, and the magazine stopped a while back. Browser-based MMO game Pixie Hollow shut down just about a year ago and there are no indications it will return. Fairy features at Disneyland and the like have been removed... I think there's still a Tinkerbell greeting kids in some other area, but her friends are all gone. There aren't too many fairy dolls in the toy stores anymore, though the ones that are there are mostly lovely and too expensive and also I have misgivings about the quality of their faces. And so the next movie, Legend of the Neverbeast--teaser trailer!--is scheduled to be the last... much to the surprise of the animation studio when they got the news, since they were working on several planned later movies at the time.

It's about Fawn the animal fairy--and also Tinker Bell, of course, but all the main movies but the first highlight a second character besides her, and this time it's Fawn's turn. Fawn's kind of my favorite, so that works out, but I'll be sad to see them go... conceivably big merchandise profits could turn things around as they have in the past, but Pirate Fairy was a great movie and had solid toy designs and starred the dude who played Loki in The Avengers, and if all that couldn't save the franchise, I don't think Fawn and a Neverbeast have a chance.

Ah well. There is and will continue to be other stuff for girls out there.

But this is the internet. Nothing ever truly dies, particularly not when so much of the franchise is those freely available animated shorts. So... sit here and believe in fairies with me? Look forward to the last film? Wonder what could have been? Talk about how sweet Silvermist is? Talk about the books, which I mostly left out of this post because I've only read Levine's and none of the others? Show me pretty dolls, because this is a collectors forum?

~faith, trust, and pixie dust~
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:04:53 AM by VioletCLM »

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Disney Fairies
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 06:44:12 AM »
I'll be sorry to see it go. I like the fairies.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 09:13:08 AM »
Tinkerbell is one of my favourite 'princesses', and WDW will never just get rid of her. She will never go away or be forever forgotten.  She has an attitude of her own that captures many people, myself included.

That said, I never really was captivated by the expansion (even though her friends are pretty) so I cant really say much.  I guess, have a bit of hope? Nothing truly dies.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Jennifer2004

• Hooked on Ponies
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Looking for Bowtie variants, nirvanas, & merch!
    • View Profile
    • Jennifer Bischoff
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 10:00:56 AM »
Thanks for all that! It was a great read, a lot of interesting info I didn't know.

I have always loved Tinker Bell ever since Peter Pan. It took me a while to get interested in Disney fairies. I stayed away from it at first because it seemed that Tinker Bell's personality was changed so much. But once I gave it a chance, I immediately loved it. Plus it makes sense, the Tinker Bell in Disney fairies is a young fairy who is still learning about herself and about her place in the world. By the events of Peter Pan, Tinker Bell has probably seen and been through so much that she has grown up and changed.

Anyway, I really loved the Disney fairies line and I was sad when I heard the next film would be the last. I had hoped that the Pirate Fairy might turn things around, but it seems that the Disney fairies line has run its course. I'm sure Tinker Bell won't be out of the spotlight for too long though. She is still a very popular Disney characters among girls, young and old alike. But I will miss the other fairies. They really grew on me over time. I wish I had taken the opportunity to go and meet them at Disney when I had the chance. (I used to work at Epcot, so I am a pretty big Disney nut!)

And since you said you wanted to see some pics, here is my Tinker Bell collection! ^.^

~Jennifer

eCrater Store - Commissions Info - Facebook Page

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 10:09:41 AM »
I've never been a Tink fan because I don't like her very much in Disney's Peter Pan.  Too jealous, sassy, snippy, and mean for me.  But she is alright in these fairy movies. 

I really like Fawn so I am glad she gets a movie! 

Offline Violet CLM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 01:12:59 PM »
Plus it makes sense, the Tinker Bell in Disney fairies is a young fairy who is still learning about herself and about her place in the world. By the events of Peter Pan, Tinker Bell has probably seen and been through so much that she has grown up and changed.
Yeah. Really, to the extent a single timeline can be teased out of the various media, I'd guess that Peter himself is the biggest factor that makes Tink so ornery. So it's probably a good thing it looks like he'll never show up in the Fairies movies, since that would basically be the beginning of the end for her.
And since you said you wanted to see some pics, here is my Tinker Bell collection! ^.^
Thanks! I have those little Pirate Fairy figures too :D Otherwise, well, for all people talk about Pinkie Pie getting all the merchandise, Tink sure puts her in her place.

Offline Violet CLM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 08:23:10 PM »
This is interesting! A deleted scene storyboard from Pirate Fairy. The girls seem to have wound up in a desert somehow, post-talent-switch, and we see Iridessa and Vidia in particular trying their hands at getting water out of a cactus after they start dropping from the sky from the heat.

I think this was replaced with the first post-swap scene, on the Neverland coast, where they meet the baby crocodile? Vidia gets made fun of here for thinking like a tinker, by the looks of it. Although my speakers are broken at the moment, so if there's sound to clarify I don't know about it.

EDIT: More of the same. Heavy on the Rosetta. Maybe this was axed because the characters seem so unhappy, and freaked-out is higher energy?

EDIT2: New screencap! Goodness, such moody lighting.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 12:47:51 AM by VioletCLM »

Offline DreamLight

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 03:33:13 AM »
I really upset this is the first I heard of the line as I loved disney fairies the characters where great and the animation was mind blowingly good! I also loved the online game until they ruined making all the fun thing pay to play.
I can't believe disney let it go I wonder if never girls will fade out with it or fade in to take its place.

Offline Violet CLM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 12:44:57 PM »
DreamLight: I don't actually know anything about Never Girls. Do you want to talk about that for a bit? I've heard of Tinker Bell and Silvermist appearing in Once Upon A Time, and was severely unimpressed by Sil's cameo.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 02:51:17 PM »
I've really enjoyed these movies.  I like Fawn's character so this should be good.  In the beginning I wasn't impressed with the idea of Tinker Bell actually talking but it grew on me.

Offline DreamLight

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 03:36:58 AM »
I actually don't know much about the never girls  outside of seeing a few books and knowing they made a big deal when it launched a few years back as far as I know it's about four girls in the target age range who somehow get to neverland and I believe have interactions with the never land fairies in some of the books. They don't have a movie or cartoon but I know it was many many many years after the disney fairy books that they got movies and shorts. (I remember reading about they first book before it came out in elementary school and now I just graduated high school)

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 06:56:42 PM »
Wow, what a great summary of the franchise! It's so sad that they're going to end it -- I only just got into the movies (literally the day before yesterday)! I had always had misgivings about the series, because of the Tinker Bell personality thing, but when they released "The Pirate Fairy" (which combines three of my favorite things: pirates, fairies, and Tom Hiddleston) I knew I had to watch it. And it was good! So I'm now planning to watch the rest of the movies on Netflix, and I kinda want to get some of the dolls.

So, again, super sad that they're ending it! I feel like some people, like me, just took a long time to be ready to accept the movies. :(

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 10:29:05 PM »
What it's ending ;_; and just as I got interested by chance. I watched the Pirate one just due to fact that my favorite actor Tom Hiddleston (I tend to watch anything with him in it to support his acting) was a voice actor and fell in love with the movie.

Offline Moss

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Let it go~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 05:45:17 AM »
I was never that into Peter Pan, but I liked the Fairies movies well enough. Still haven't watched The Pirate Fairy, but I'll get around to it.

Honestly, though, my sister and I have just been waiting for the tragic backstory moment to explain Tinker Bell's drastic personality difference  :P She went from a nice, friendly fairy, to someone who kinda encouraged murder. And I know Disney wanted a more appealing character for the spin-off, but they were using her as a pretty prominent character before the franchise. But I think her personality was the main thing that kept me from really liking the movies.
Click here for MLP coupons --->
link
avatar from generalzoi's pony creator
formerly known as Mosspath!

Offline Violet CLM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 12:30:54 PM »
Honestly, though, my sister and I have just been waiting for the tragic backstory moment to explain Tinker Bell's drastic personality difference  :P
Again, my suspicion is it's not one particular moment. It's just Peter being a right ass to her the entire time they know each other. In Levine's books she's still grouchy, yes, but she's clearly furious at Peter specifically.

To those who joined for the Hiddleston or the pirates: welcome! Just be warned that the movies are not all the same in tone; in particular, Pirate Fairy has significantly more constant action than the others. That's not to say they're worse, just that if you go in expecting exactly the same thing you may be confused. (Tinker Bell and The Lost Treasure are both emotional pieces about Tink dealing with herself as her own worst enemy; Secret of the Wings is a love story; The Great Fairy Rescue can't quite decide what it wants to be.)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal