collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Nearing the end of your collection??  (Read 951 times)

Offline mlpgirly

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Nearing the end of your collection??
« on: July 09, 2014, 06:50:10 AM »
So I've been collecting 12 years. I only have a few store released ponies left and maybe half of the mail orders. It is a lot harder now to buy ponies. I'm planning on making a goal of one specific pony a month. Once I'm done with G1 ponies, I guess I'll work on upgrades/quality control. I guess I'm just complaining about how hard it is once you have most of what people are selling. Any advice? How do others deal? I collect all G1 ponies, MIB G2, favorite G3, and Applejack G4.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Nearing the end of your collection??
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 07:49:04 AM »
Hmm, I completed my collection in 2008 I believe and then sold 90% of it in 2010. The selling was very freeing. Now I very rarely buy ponies because I've had them all. All the ones I wanted anyway. No advice just a story. I guess you'll see what happens once you complete it.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 07:56:48 AM »
WOW! You must have a lot of ponies in your collection then! I really don't have any advice for you either. I have never had that issue in my life. I guess buy what you see that you like. :)

Offline mlpgirly

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 08:13:33 AM »
Thank y'all for sharing. I'm sure it will take a while to "complete" my collection because what is left will cost $$$ but I do t really want to ever be really done. I have some poor quality girls that can always be upgraded. I don't know that I will ever be able to sell them. I've had sellers remorse before and would be too afraid that would happen again.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 08:15:05 AM »
I collect all generations. The ride never ends. XD (Not with my budget anyways.)

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 08:32:52 AM »
Here's a similar thread about what to do when you're done collecting :)
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,353837.0.html

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 09:56:44 AM »
Start collecting nirvana ponies, different generations, something else...

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 10:05:07 AM »
I'm more of a short term thinker in terms of ponies. I have a bit to go on finish my goal (all US g1 store/mo), but I understand the whole waiting for that special pony to finish it up anxiousness. The waiting really is the hardest part. It took me 5 years to get Hushabye (yay!). I've been dealing with pony lulls by working on customs and slowly listing extra ponies for sale. I've made it a point that the only way I buy ponies online is by selling ponies online. Keeps things from getting too much out of control spending wise and allows for less pony clutter (in a very pony and lego filled room)...
Sounds like you've got a great plan in place.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

S.o.a.r.

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 12:35:25 PM »
So I've been collecting 12 years. I only have a few store released ponies left and maybe half of the mail orders. It is a lot harder now to buy ponies. I'm planning on making a goal of one specific pony a month. Once I'm done with G1 ponies, I guess I'll work on upgrades/quality control. I guess I'm just complaining about how hard it is once you have most of what people are selling. Any advice? How do others deal? I collect all G1 ponies, MIB G2, favorite G3, and Applejack G4.

All in all, I've only been collecting for 1-2 years (not including my 2-3 years hiatus) and in that time I gathered up about 120 ponies (not including my childhood ponies) so I'm very satisfied with that. Before my hiatus I focused mostly on MLP playlets and the playset ponies after realizing that I didn't want to own every G1 MLP even though they are the only generation I'll ever own.

When I made the decision to go through all the Years (Dream Valley website) and list the ones I personally liked the most for various reasons (same goes for the playsets) the collecting became more fun and less stressing. I haven't looked over my list in about 2 years but I'm pretty sure I have about 30% left before I've completed my collection of ponies and playsets. So I guess that's my advice to you; only collect the ponies/access you personally like the most and are drawn too. And once it doesn't feel fun and exciting anymore, maybe that's when you're done?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 01:04:32 PM »
I am only a few accessories off completing...plus a handful of pony upgrades. In comparison to 5 or 6 years ago when there were pony parcels arriving every couple of days, it is a very different way to collect. But I will be honest and say, even though I do not actively buy too much any more, I still enjoy collecting and being part of the community as much as I ever did. Actually perhaps more so as there is less stress about stalking ebay and sales forums...just in case I missed that special pony or accessory. Actually I have probably missed out on the items I am still looking for because I so seldom check things out :P

Nowadays I focus on the occasional upgrade and of course the ongoing hunt for those final few items. There is always something to learn or enjoy in this community and in collecting...you dont really need to be buying things to have fun.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Ember1

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 01:28:54 PM »
Yeh I hear you.. If your g1 collection is rocking.. then you can always try looking at Nirvanas.. or Ponies made in other countries.. There are so many beautiful versions and unique ponies to collect..
Andre's Sunsparkler Hybrid Proto
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 01:33:04 PM »
i've cut back to only collecting for my army and customs.
with a rare, just cuz i like it pony thrown in.
i haven't gone through my childhood collection, mostly cuz it was half mine and my sisters. so i'm not sure how to sell them.

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 02:16:18 PM »
I'm not nearing the end of my G1 collection in terms of having every pony, but I'm at a point where I'm frequently considering downsizing which to me means that the collection has pretty much gotten as big as I want it to go.

However I have extensive G2 and G3 want lists and I'm keeping up with the G4 brushables. Eventually I may reduce to just armies, customs and a few other ponies that I really like, but I'm not putting pressure on either way.

squishy turdl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 02:38:29 PM »
This is a really interested thread. (and the one form a few months back, thanks for the link).

I like one of the points someone raised, just collect what you like... I have been so focused on getting every single G1 - I've gotten a few along the way that don't do it for me, but I brought them anyway however this has changed my collecting physchy, -unless I am gifted her I will pledge to never ever buy trickles. She may be the only G1 pony I never get. And thats ok. Cause I'm not into her.

Good luck with collecting or non collecting, its a pretty awesome community to belong to anyway. xx

Offline ajmeier55

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 04:10:25 PM »
7 years of collecting and im nearing the end too, so now im focusing on getting some of the accessories that I want and also upgrading some of the ponies already in my collection.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal