collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

What kind of collector are you?

Mint On Card
7 (7.1%)
Mint Off Card
6 (6.1%)
NM
13 (13.1%)
Certain flaws are acceptable
47 (47.5%)
Any condition
26 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Voting closed: July 11, 2014, 04:26:11 PM

Author Topic: What kind of Collector are you?  (Read 2666 times)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
What kind of Collector are you?
« on: July 01, 2014, 04:26:11 PM »
Hi ponies, I'm just wondering what people prefer to collect and why. If you'd rather have an MOC collection please can you explain the appeal. 

I mainly collect G1. Personally I like my ponies to have a minor scrape somewhere, a biro mark or a paint scuff to symbol or eyes. Certain minor flaws are acceptable to me so I voted 4.  This keeps the cost down and makes me happier to get them out and play with them, which is why I bought them.  Although I have no back cards I do collect pony literature like books and stickers because I love the art work, especially Italian.

G3s need to be NM for me.

Cheers

Artie

:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
Re: What kind of Collector are you?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 04:39:17 PM »
idealy, I prefer MIP.  Not exactly affordable for G1s, but when I can buy them like that I do.  Most newer gens I have in Packet. 

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 04:43:44 PM »
I like the aesthetics of loose ponies on display better than MOCs, but I did see a pic here of someone's pony room with so many MOCs it looked like the MLP section of a toy aisle from the 80s... that in itself is a personal heaven I can only dream about...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline ajmeier55

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 04:47:49 PM »
I voted four. I like being able to touch them and do hair move them around.  :)

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 04:48:55 PM »
I collect NW, but I will accept minor flaws, but only if I think I can fix it or is is not noticeable, like tiny paint scrapes.  I do have a few ponies that aren't in as good a condition as I would like, but I love 'em anyways!

Offline Jadis4742

• Trade Count: (+124)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • All the shy pose ponies, please!
    • View Profile
    • Pretty Nerdy
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 05:08:47 PM »
I like my ponies loose and with a little bit of history on them. I love factory imperfections - my Sweet Scoops has the most awesome lighting bolt in her eye - and mohawks in particular. It makes me think of all the adventures my ponies have had!

Offline doxiechic16

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 05:18:27 PM »
I like my ponies to be in as good a condition as possible, but certain flaws are acceptable, particularly for ponies who are rare or at least harder to find.  For example, I'm perfectly in love with my Agrie with missing hair plugs, but I wouldn't buy a really common pony pony with the same issues.

MIP/MIB/MOC ponies are super cool and I own a few, but sometimes it makes me sad that I can't actually touch them.  Plus, they seem sort of isolated from the rest of my collection of "free" ponies since they can't really mingle with them.     

Offline MandarinCupcake

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Mandrixa - Etsy Shop
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 05:34:47 PM »
I'm not entirely picky when it comes to my G1 collecting. I don't mind problems that are fixable or easy to hide.  Like Jadis4742 said, I like my ponies with some history.  I like to wonder who had them last, and enjoy imagining a little girl scribbling all over her pony to make it more unique. 

However, when it comes to my buying of G4 ponies that are in the store, I go through all the ponies to see which one looks the best.  I don't have a lot of money to spend on my collection, so I don't want to purchase something new that has a severe lack of quality control.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 05:40:09 PM »
I mainly collect G1s and am a serious bait collector! I want all the baity ponies. I love their hair cuts, their scuffs, their paint scratches, their marks. They've got so much personality! I prefer some ponies to be super minty, or at least decently minty, but in general I love the messed up ponies doomed to be rehaired or repainted. I also LOVE true factory error ponies! Not the Taobao ponies, MIB cuties with wonky paint, hair, whatever!

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 05:47:22 PM »
NM for the most part. I do like mint but usually only certain ponies, small flaws I can live with. I also have like 35 MOC/MIB but again, mostly my collection is loose NM ponies. Who still look amazing because I buy ones with their hair all cute!

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 05:48:25 PM »
but I did see a pic here of someone's pony room with so many MOCs it looked like the MLP section of a toy aisle from the 80s... that in itself is a personal heaven I can only dream about...

Hey!  Maybe that was my collection!  There are a few toy store displays in this community! 

I collect G1 and G2.  The MOCs just kind of happened (most of them I got about 10-15 years ago).  I can't usually afford today's higher prices but I have picked up a few here and there.  The appeal of in the box ponies to me are the strong memories associated with my childhood and original collection.  I remember the ponies at Wal-mart where I picked out most of my ponies.  I remember the artwork and the packaging and the PONY SMELL!  I do remember I got the Apple Delight Family at Toys R Us back when the store was laid out as giant aisles.  You guys remember that?!  Man, I swear those aisles went on FOREVER.  You couldn't see the end  And the shelves stretched up to the sky!  I carried that box around the store like it was treasure.  So, if anyone's got a MIB Apple Delight Family for sale, I'd be interested!  ;)

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 06:00:18 PM »
Anything goes here! I am not picky and enjoy restoring.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

TWILIGHTCOOKIE

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 06:03:57 PM »
I like g1s in any condition. Of course I love mint ponies with lovely curly-still pink hair but I also love ponies with no symbols and mohawks. Stuff like this makes it fun to own multiples of Cotton Candy and Firefly:)

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 06:20:52 PM »
At the moment, I only have G4s, so it's pretty easy to get stuff in good condition, either bought from the store, or from another collector.  I always de-box them, though.  If I had all of my ponies still in their box, it would take up waaaaay too much space. And taking them out of the package really gives you more display options.

Offline Jadis4742

• Trade Count: (+124)
  • All the shy pose ponies, please!
    • View Profile
    • Pretty Nerdy
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 06:27:09 PM »
Is it kind of sad/weird that now I want to buy a MIB pony so I can...open it?

Like maybe even have a pony-opening party or something and bask in the new unleashed pony smell. Like a fine wine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal