collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

What kind of collector are you?

Mint On Card
7 (7.1%)
Mint Off Card
6 (6.1%)
NM
13 (13.1%)
Certain flaws are acceptable
47 (47.5%)
Any condition
26 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Voting closed: July 11, 2014, 04:26:11 PM

Author Topic: What kind of Collector are you?  (Read 2667 times)

Alzatia

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What kind of Collector are you?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 06:39:12 PM »
While I boarded with G4, I was forced to make the decision to not collect anymore MOC/MIB items anymore due to my house flooding. While I do keep many of my ponies' boxes, only one I have MIB in the SDCC :muffin: Pony.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 07:28:39 PM »
NM is nice, but I don't mind some minor flaws, especially hair-related flaws.  I enjoy getting a pony with awful hair and rehairing her :)
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Khema

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 07:38:16 PM »
There are a couple I would like to get MOC, but mostly I just like pretty ponies that I can touch.  :P

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 07:39:15 PM »
I am not a to picky collector. I like to have my G3 and G4 ponies NIB though. That is if I can afford the price and they are in good condition. I don't collect NIB or MOC G1 ponies, I just cant afford it and would not spend that much on one pony. 

Offline darlingfaerie

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 08:24:33 PM »
I tend to collect NM ponies, but I do LOVE my flawed ponies to death. <3 For ages my only version of Firefly had a chewed off foot (which I lovingly bandaged) and no symbols (which I lovingly restored hahaha), and I adored her and I will keep her forever. (:

Offline Bibinettepony

• Tickle, the Rainbow Pegasus Queen
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2014, 12:21:18 AM »
Well I have to admit I am a picky collector  :blush: I love very NM ponies, I only have a few ponies with default.
And with time I became a MOC and MIB Collector, I love the packaging and it makes me back in the early 80's; I did not see myself the ponies in store when I was a child, or maybe once or twice but nothing too long so I really cannot remember seeing the ponies in the store. My parents (for good reason I think) did not bring my sister and I in the toys sections  :lol: (don't worry my sister and I had plenty toys  ;) ;))
However,  the only MLP packaging I have seen as a child was when I have been offered for X-Mas my lovely Tickle. So now I am more than happy to discover and buy  :biggrin: MOC/ MIB Ponies :biggrin:!!
MLP forever MLP pour toujours

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 03:36:51 AM »
I kind of fit into two categories- I like to display ponies that look their very best, but I also love restoring ponies, cleaning them up, fixing their hair etc... so I do collect ponies with certain flaws, I just fix them up before I display them because on display I like them to look good.
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 05:26:21 AM »
I like g1s in any condition. Of course I love mint ponies with lovely curly-still pink hair but I also love ponies with no symbols and mohawks. Stuff like this makes it fun to own multiples of Cotton Candy and Firefly:)

I agree I think it's nice that in G4 cartoons there are mohawks, very short tails and 'extra' markings and a lot of ponywear. In my mind it opens up the possibilities for all gens in terms of condition.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 05:35:17 AM »
I'm almost exclusively a loose collector, with the exception being one MIB G3 birthflower (that is a place holder until I find her loose) and my very, very exclusive, bagged G3s (Rosey Posey, Bay Breeze, Frisco, Trolley, those sort of girls).  I greatly prefer minty/near mint ponies, but am also realistic about the fact that they are toys.  Markings under feet don't bother me at all.  Minor symbol or eye rubs typically can be over looked by me.  Hair cuts don't phase me at all. 

The only real flaws that I can't cope with are regrind, cancer, leaked plasticizer and permanent flaws in the structural integrity of the plastic, such as chew marks.  I am pretty picky on ponies that have parts (with the exception of Flutter ponies' wings) that can go missing.  It may also be worth noting that I really only collect ponies that have brushable hair.  I've got a couple Ponyville G3s and some ceramics from childhood, but to me, ponies ought to have hair you can brush, braid and style :)

Offline nessy_86

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 10:27:29 AM »
I tend to be all over the place. I do like my ponies to be in the best condition as possible, but if I find them at garage sales, thrift stores, etc. I'm not too concerned with condition. I am not a restorer of ponies in any sense of the word so I do try to get them without too many flaws. I have gotten bit by the MOC/MIB pony bug. I've been buying G1s MOC/MIB lately and all of my G4s are in the box if they have been bought at the store (minus 1-- that was the only pony I have EVER opened from the box). My husband also just got me a bunch of G3 ponies and a couple G2s MIB for our anniversary/my birthday. So I guess I have a variety in my collection and I plan to keep it that way. I like loose ponies to be able to be displayed together and then I like MIB/MOC ponies as well. :)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 10:48:35 AM »
This is a really interesting read, thanks so much to everyone who has written about their collectionxXx
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 01:42:45 PM »
I love a good restore job, so while I will grab ponies in any condition, sometime's I'll upgrade them too- so I put option 4, even thought I'm sort of in-between. Certain ponies have to be mint - mostly I like to have absolutely mint versions of childhood ponies (in addition to the originals of course!) for nostalgia value, but some ponies I'll allow to keep their flaws if it adds to their personality.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2014, 02:33:50 PM »
I prefer as minty as possible but to be fair it is normally a pony by pony decision for me in g1 terms

but g3 and g4 have to be mint/nm for me and to be honest g2 need to be in at least very good condition to have a place. missing jewels is ok for me but body marks not so much

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2014, 02:49:09 PM »
I prefer Moc or MIB  but at the same time I like and enjoy the loose ponies ,so I collect both and mostly if  possible I go for both of every pony I like a lot :), is not always possible specially on G2s , but with G4s and G3s is still attainable :)

Pony spa for loose ponies is always a lot of fun for me , I get to see the change in their look and condition :) and I use a conditioner with aroma so it is awesome to have them smell nice :) so far Coconut and Macadamia are the ones I have used on them :)

My 2 year anniversary is at the  end of the month :) I will be doing some spa on my  G4s , the ones I got back in 2012 ,time flies when you are having fun :)
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline Irkencat

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Big Brother Pony
  • I love ponies!
    • View Profile
    • Irkencat's MLP Dream Land
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2014, 02:52:02 PM »
^_^ I selected nr 2, I prefer my collection to be in a nm-m condition, very difficult though. I try to collect a few a mib and moc ponies aswell but it's very limited due to the cost. Keep all my G4 ponies moc though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My collection/sales/trades/wishlist etc. on my website:
http://irkencatsmlp.weebly.com/
My new FB MLP Collecting/News page:
https://www.facebook.com/irkencatmlp

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal