collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Too Old For Ponies...?  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Too Old For Ponies...?
« on: June 10, 2014, 06:18:05 PM »
OK... I stumbled on this lil work on archive of our own....http://archiveofourown.org/works/30189
While i like the ending and the story.. it brings up the inevitable question that everyone that loves ponies has to face down.
the whole "your too old for ponies" routine.
I got this ... and while I wont bore you with the details... it wasn't fun. And it wasn't until a very long time later that I decided I didn't care if people thought i was too old.

How many of you have had this happen?
have any of you gotten the "too old" routine in your time collecting? Or some other form of age bias in others opinions of your collecting?
If so did it affect you? Did it make you want to stop, or did you soldier right on with your pony love?
I would like to hear about it if some of you have.
RP

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
Re: Too Old For Ponies...?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 06:23:24 PM »
I'm sure there are people who think a 37-year-old is too old for ponies BUT none of these people know me well because I'm a pretty 'unique' person and I doubt anyone is surprised when they find out I collect ponies. The people who know me well think its fun and enjoy coming over and beg me to make them a pony too! Also, my brothers have collected Transformers forever so I don't think it's that far of a jump.

If there are people who don't get it I really don't care. I've always been outside social norms so I got over it by the time I was 20. For those of you who aren't used to being put down/snubbed/patronized, hang in there and find your true friends :)

Offline wyndeboo

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 06:25:43 PM »
I've gotten some strange looks when I buy them at flea markets, but all in all I really don't care. It's not like see these people everyday. On the upside I have some amazing friends and family who buy ponies for me when they find them at thrift stores/flea markets. and well my boyfriend has learned to live with the all the pony eyes staring at him from across the room :P

Offline doxiechic16

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 06:37:16 PM »
I'm not sure I ever officially went through an "I'm too old for ponies" phase.  Hasbro stopped making/releasing My Little Ponies in the US in the early 90s and I had to rely on flea markets and yard sales to get my pony fix.  By the mid- to late 90s, I had moved on to other things like Littlest Pet Shop Pets and collecting Ty Beanie Babies (what a great investment idea that was  :argh: ).  I remember buying one G2 pony when they first came out, but I just didn't like how they looked and never bought another one.  I distinctly remember thinking the G2s were too skinny and not "pony-like" enough.   :lol:

I got out of collecting for a while, sold some of my ponies when I needed the money after college in 2009, and gradually got back into collecting over the past couple of years.  At 27, I don't feel like I'm too old for ponies.  There are tons of other more "mature" things I could be spending my money on - and I do when I feel that I need them - but clothes, handbags, and jewelry just don't make me as happy as ponies.      :)

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 06:37:39 PM »
I declared myself "too old" for ponies when I was probably around 10, opting instead for the more "realistic" horse toys like Grand Champions.  I got rid of all but a few of my favorites to make room for the horses that I concentrated on instead.  It's strange how I started actively collecting at 18 and have never once considered myself "too old" since :)

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 08:02:15 PM »
I am 54, I collect ponies (among other things) with my daughter, and I am not the oldest collector on this board.  As long as you can afford it, and enjoy it and it does not detract or harm you, then collect till you die.  But make sure you have how to disperse your collection in your will or they will hit Goodwill or a yard sale.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Khema

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 08:09:08 PM »
These debates always make me think of a kid I used to babysit. He said he was too old for Mickey Mouse, but Barney was cool.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 08:14:45 PM »
Eh, you're never too old for ponies!
My Mom thinks I'm too old for them, but I don't care!! LOL

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Khema

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 08:54:33 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 09:01:22 PM »
You're never too old for joy.

:)

Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 09:23:09 PM »

Aww, I love that! :) That applies to so much of me.

I'm 31 and still going strong with ponies! If I decide eventually that it's not my thing anymore, that's okay too. It won't be because I'm too old, though.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 09:25:07 PM »
Heck I'm only 17 and I've been told I'm too old for ponies!
But I'm like "But if I am, why are there so many older wonderful people who collect them too?"

You're never too old for anything. Besides, it's not their choice, it's yours. You're the collector.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline MoondancerMilkyWay

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • you've got to pony while the pony is pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 09:29:26 PM »
NEVER!

I am never to old to do what makes me happy - especially since it hurts no one except the other things I can't collect because all of my money and space goes to Ponies.
~I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more ponies! I gotta have more ponies!~
"I'm not going to buy every Malibu Stacy with a hat"  - ponyqueen

Offline pilarsworld

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 12:11:29 AM »
Nobody is ever too old to collect ponies.Im a grandmother now and still collect ponies, teddy bears and other toys.Ive already told my 1 year old grandaughter that she probably wont get much in the way of older ponies from me but I did get her a g4 Fluttershy for her first birthday...and she will be able to share mine when shes a little bit older.I have collected things all my life and Im not going to stop now just because Im supposed to be "grown up".

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 12:21:23 AM »
This topic and the one abut feel weird buying ponies just make me think of a quote from one of my favorite actors. This is pretty much how I feel about anything I like or collect.

"What’s my guilty pleasure? The thing is I never feel guilty about pleasures."
Tom Hiddleston

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal