collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you feel uneasy when you buy ponies?  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
Re: Do you feel uneasy when you buy ponies?
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2014, 03:29:53 PM »
Nope xD Life's too short to be concerned with what other people think of you. Just have fun.

I collect cds and toys, a lott of different toys, though most of my friends only know about my model/toy dragon collection. Not because I'm scared of them finding out about the rest, just because I just don't feel like telling them. Infact yesterday I was buying three How to Train Your Dragon dragons, along with a poster, and the cashier said "Do you need a gift receipt?" "No thanks." and she said "Yeah, I'm sure he'll love them."
Pfft, those are my toys. xD
Though I do get odd looks when buying ponies. Me, a long haired guy in a worn leather jacket covered in studs and patches, black ripped jeans with a bullet belt across the waist and boots buying colorful little horses. xD So I can understand why THAT might seem odd.

But I really wish society would stop listening to what they're told about having to be mature and like adult things, like things that cater to your sex and all that. Pfft. That's lame! Diverse people are way cooler.

Try to live with no worries and no regrets, it's a lot easier and a lot more fun. ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Cucco

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • poniponiponi
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2014, 04:43:41 PM »
Not really, but I get a bit sheepish around my family when I buy new ones.
The G1 color-change hair set is my grail. Currently own: Mainsail, Seaflower, Shoreline

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2014, 06:23:44 PM »
For the most part, no.  But I get sheepish around my sister and husband sometimes too.  They like to think they know me better than myself.  So annoying.  :blush:

Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2014, 10:30:45 PM »
Depends on what mood I'm in.

In general, not really but I don't go on big buying sprees, either.  However there are those times when I'm feeling shy and just don't want to talk about it.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline pilarsworld

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2014, 02:20:23 AM »
Nope.Ive never even thought about it...just the buzz when I see some hair, pull it out and find a pony on the end.

Offline louiselovesbagsandshoes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2014, 02:32:17 AM »
(I don't know if this belongs to WYP, if so, please move)
Even if I go to flea markets far away from my home, I feel nervous when there are too much people who can see I'm buying a toy... especially my parents (I'm hiding the fact that I collect toys,my parents wouldn't be happy about that). The last day I was laughed off by two little girls (around 8 or 9) when I was buying a Zelf - and it even wasn't for me! It was for my cousin-niece who came from the hospital after an operation. Why should I get laughed off because I'm buying a toy for her?!

Do you feel the same? Please share your experiences.

Yes I feel ashamed. That's why I just blurt out 'I collect them!' to sellers lol.
So well... I came out... no use to feel ashamed anymore :')

I work with kids, and wear my MLP sweater/shirts then (finally get a excuse to wear them, since I can't wear them at office) and get a lot of remarks from children like giggles, being made fun of, question like: 'do you like my little pony'?  And I tell them immediately that I collect them and think they are awesome.

See, I work with kids to teach them respect for diversity.
This is a lesson. These kids never met an adult wich likes 'kids' stuff (stuff they even vieuw as immature). And I teach them this way that this excists. And you don't have to be ashamed of it. And it works.

Never allow yourself to be ashamed.
My best friend thinks it's ridicoulous that I collect MLP. Well hey, atleast I'm not doing drugs!

Your not hurting anybody with your hobby.
Old men can play with trains, make doll houses and play with miniature airplanes and cars and such... Men can play games. Women seem to have to be 'matture' and only care about kids and a clean house or something...
(and offcourse men can not collect ponies). Just prejudices you have to fight against.
Every time you 'come out' of your collecting, widens someones horizon, and vieuw on the world :)

You're a world-changer! woohoo!!  :cheer: (well... in a small way... but well... even a baby-step is a step in the right direction)
Very true Rainfeather!!!!!!!!! x

Iris Patch

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2014, 09:00:51 AM »
Nah, I don't feel embarrassed buying toys at age 26. If anybody's snickering at me, I'm too oblivious to notice or care. Sometimes the checkout clerks at Toys R' Us will chitchat with me about what I'm buying and tell me about their own toy collections.

I just feel like life's too short to be ashamed of the harmless fun things I like. It's okay if people don't "get" it, I'm still havin' fun!

Offline Charmypony

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2014, 09:18:53 AM »
No, I don't feel ashamed at all. My family and some friends know that I collect, for them it's a hobby, maybe a little strange, but nothing dangerous, and nothing that disturb others people.

I never think about it,but that's true a Man can collect baseball card, play with train, or mini plane and everyone found it's normal, but women can't? That's stupid.

I will be ever more proud to collect now that I have realize that.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2014, 11:30:30 AM »
No, I don't feel ashamed at all. My family and some friends know that I collect, for them it's a hobby, maybe a little strange, but nothing dangerous, and nothing that disturb others people.

I never think about it,but that's true a Man can collect baseball card, play with train, or mini plane and everyone found it's normal, but women can't? That's stupid.

I totally agree!  Everyone collects something, it's just part of what makes us human.  Some people collect objects, some collect travel experiences, some people collect emotional things.  I usually raise my eyebrow at anyone who is critical of my buying a collectible.  :(  I collect a LOT of stuff too.  My biggest problem is displaying them in a collector-like fashion so that visitors to the house see them as such, instead of, "OMG how many toys do you HAVE?"
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2014, 02:33:19 PM »
I really don't care anymore when I go shopping. They make me and my daughter happy so that is all that matters. I have made the mail lady ask me a few times what I am shipping when I drop off a package. Last time I told her and she said those are very popular right now aren't they? Kind of made me feel good to hear that!

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2014, 02:38:42 PM »
Nope and I never have. Granted I tend to hop scotch around between Ponies,dragons, and Hot Wheels. As to what I currently buy and often only one or two at a time. But it's never bothered me. And has lead to some interesting conversations while waiting in line.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2014, 03:54:51 PM »
No, I stopped caring after a certain point. Plus most of the time employees would assume that I was buying it for a little sister/neice/cousin/ect. so I just basically go along with it to make things easier (and so I dont have to deal with getting "that look" from them).
(Although this does remind me of back when Cardcaptors merchandise was out here in the US and me feeling bad for all of my guy friends who wanted to buy the stuff, such as the neat Clow Card Book, but were afraid to go to the girls aisle to get them)

...Do I get uneasy when the subject of me collecting or buying ponies/dolls get brought up by friends and family members? Yes, if mostly because it gets old having to "defend" myself. ^^;
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Shugahime

« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2014, 04:53:43 PM »
I collect, and have been for a couple years, even was collecting dolls before. Nope. If someone has a comment, and its not nice, I tend to ignore them.
Everyone has a guilty pleasure, but this isn't mine, I own it proudly. x3
I give kudos to all the adults out there wearing pony merch that was MADE for adults. Shirts, belts, etc.

Offline MandarinCupcake

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Mandrixa - Etsy Shop
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2014, 05:31:36 PM »

All of this so much!  I'm 25, and my mom likes that I collect ponies (though last week she told me she wished it was Strawberry Shortcake, but I digress...).  She and my little sister got me into collecting because they kept gifting me with Twilight Sparkles. 

My boyfriend does feel awkward when I want to look at ponies, so he will go look at the electronics (which is right across from the pony aisle at my Target).  The cashiers sometimes ask if its for me, and I always tell them yes.  I like Toys R Us though, because one of the cashiers will always talk to me about MLP when I purchase an MLP toy from there.

Before I found out about the codes on the Blind bags, I did feel weird spending an hour trying to figure out who was in each bag.  I mean, I am standing there, trying to shove a little pony to the top of the bag to try and peek at the colours.  It is a little silly looking.  After I did discover the codes, I felt a lot more comfortable.  I also have found it to be helpful for others because once a Dad saw me looking at the bags, then my phone and asked me if there were codes or something to tell who was in the bag.  I told him yes and shared with him Strawberry Reef's site. Him and I spent a few minutes picking out some ponies, then showing his daughter (who adamantly wanted Pinkie Pie, but there was no PP.  I think we settled on Sunny Rays. Helping them out gave me more confidence about being comfortable with my collecting.

Offline dxgirly

• Trade Count: (+66)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2014, 05:39:57 PM »
Not at all. But I'm a very loud and proud pony collector/lover. I have 3 very visible pony tattoos, and post my collections all over facebook, instagram, tumblr, etc...

The only time I've ever felt uneasy/uncomfortable is when a mother and her child/children are in a toy aisle and she visibly pulls them closer to her when I walk by.  :huh:  That really bothers me. But I can count on one hand the amount of times it has happened, and I do have a rather harsh/alternative appearance, so it's just whatever.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal