collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you feel uneasy when you buy ponies?  (Read 2313 times)

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
Re: Do you feel uneasy when you buy ponies?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 05:20:22 PM »
The only times I've found it difficult or embarrassing is when I got back into collecting more heavily about 6 years ago. Buying locally from someone (around my age or older) and meeting in person because they're getting rid of their childhood collection, you know you're being judged for buying it. For awhile I had the excuse that I was buying for my little half sister.

I've gotten over it and since much of my collecting life has been at second hand stores as of late most people seem to have an understanding and I don't get to many odd looks anymore...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Eurocoin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 06:36:47 PM »
Why would I feel uneasy buying ponies (or other toys)? Even if would care, what others think about me buying ponies, I can always say they are for my child (which I don't actually have) or some niece or nephew. I've collected toys longer than ponies and for me toy is a toy and toys are just product/merchandise like any other.

Gloomygirl777

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 06:45:46 PM »
The process of buying toys or ponies doesn't really bother me too much just for the simple fact that the person checking me out probably could care less what I am buying. They have no idea who I am buying it for....and most of the time I have my 2 year old with me so I am sure they make their own assumptions.

But I have to admit that I am not always comfortable with people coming into my house and seeing my collection......most of my family members know but I am a really shy and private person and I don't like people making comments or things like that. Normally when people come over I close my bedroom door.......

But of course when no one is around my husband gets the crazy jumping up and down pony/toy freak! :lol: I think its all about your level of comfort. I don't feel comfortable sharing my collection with a lot of people so I don't...others do and that works for them. But as far as buying them I wouldn't worry about it. Just remember...that these workers are checking out tons of people all day. They probably won't even remember you at the end of the day.

I can identify with Malicieuse though about the blind bags. For some reason I always feel like a gremlin searching through the blind bag box :lol:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 06:47:56 PM by Gloomygirl777 »

Offline Roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 07:11:55 PM »
I have never really had this issue.
I mean.. its a toy? whats to feel bad about?
Its not like your buying something illegal.
If you have the money its a harmless out let for a lil fun.
I had someone give me lip about my twilight alicorn brush able when i got her.. but i was like
im sorry I had it first.
there will be more.. just wait.

Nah i dont feel bad about it.. and thanks to the mirical of layaway I can afford some of the really expensive stuff.. and improve my credit score at the same time!!
so win win.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 07:51:37 PM »
Nope not at all, in fact I get excited when I see a pony I do not have.

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2014, 08:01:02 PM »
Nope.  If someone wants to give me crap for something that makes me happy that's their problem.  I work hard, I deserve to spend my money on the things I enjoy, and I definitely enjoy ponies.

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2014, 08:11:52 PM »
I have never really felt that way when buying ponies or toys. I actually never noticed anyone judging me for it either, but perhaps I just haven't noticed. I know some of my roommates have got some judgement as men, however. They felt weird about it first, but started to own it; "Yep, it's for me!" Not being embarrassed seems to shut people up a bit. If you make it clear you will not be shamed for doing something "strange," I think it shocks people.

Sometimes I feel weird when people see how much of my living room is toys, but I've started getting over that. They give me so much joy, I figure I shouldn't let anyone take that away.

I know it's not always as easy as just changing your perspective a bit. It takes practice and time to feel better about it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2014, 08:42:39 PM »
No it makes me happy! Why should I be ashamed of the things that make me happy? I live by being proud of all my passions in life!

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2014, 09:45:55 PM »
I'm shy and I feel self conscious about my collecting but I am slowly getting over it. My friends and family know I collect. Some don't approve and others think it's really cool. I have all my ponies and dolls on display in my sewing room in the basement so it's not out there for everyone to see. A few weeks ago though we had some friends over and I asked my friend if she wanted to see my collection since she knows about it but hasn't seen it. I was really nervous and she actually thought it was really cool and was jealous because she didn't think her hubby would ever let her spend money on dolls for herself.

As for people's reactions when I buy toys in store, I have kids so my default can always be that I'm buying it for my daughter. I always said that though even before I had a daughter :P lol. Sometimes I own up to it and say it's for me if the cashier asks but I haven't gotten any weird looks for buying toys. I've actually noticed a lot of adult collectors digging through various toys so I don't think it's anything abnormal here.

Sprintex

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2014, 10:15:27 PM »
Nobody gives a guy any hell for collecting trains . . .

You think so? I am a keen model railway enthusiast and I don't care who knows it, but many of my friends don't admit it to friends and colleagues for fear of being branded a nerdy git with no girlfriend and a BO problem ;)

In answer to the original question I only recently got into MLP after being dragged to last year's UK Ponycon by my fiancee Clare (Clarabel Sapphire on here) and I have NO problem buying ponies. If a 44 year old truck-driver can proudly go into Build-A-Bear and buy a Fluttershy for himself and tell the staff that then I don't see why anyone else should be embarrassed  :cool:

The way I look at it is you only get one life and it ain't very long, so why waste time worrying about what other people think? :) Usually find those that DO need to criticise have nothing else in their life and it's actually a form of jealousy ;)

Paul
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 11:59:21 PM by Sprintex »

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2014, 11:52:42 PM »
I totally don't care at all when I'm out buying toys. It's what I enjoy! Though at first I did feel uneasy about it. I was a huge tomboy growing up and the thought of ponies back then would've made me go "ew!" along with the entire pink aisle, so it was strange to be shopping there for the first time, but I got used to it. I haven't ever actually been judged for it.

Though cashiers can occasionally catch you off-guard! I was buying some ponies from a small toy store with my boyfriend in San Francisco one time, and there was a really sweet older lady working the register. I'm very young looking(most tend to guess me at around 15-16) but she gave me the nicest smile when we went up and in such a calm voice she asked us "Oh, how nice. Is this for your daughter?" And I just couldn't help cracking a smile! I totally did not see that coming  :lol: So I told her "We're not quite old enough for that yet!" So she finishes ringing me up and tells me "That's good! Enjoy being young!" That's the strangest I've ever felt while buying ponies. Never thought anyone would ask me that at my age!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2014, 12:02:35 AM »
I don't feel bad at all.
I noticed the more casual and relaxed I come across, the more my behaviour is perceived as casual. However, I have met people who were so self-conscious about their collection they always felt the need to explain themselves. This is the thing that comes across as weird to other people. Just imagine if a person explained to you why they just bought a lot of toilet paper: "I'm just taking advantage of this sale! I swear I don't have diarrhea! Please don't think I poop a lot" XD

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2014, 12:15:58 AM »
I never feel uneasy, but in my experiences I've never been made fun of for it. I'm such a regular visitor to my local toyshop that the staff know me, and one of them talks to me about the FiM show if I ever buy ponies there (she says her favourite is Fluttershy xD). Also, when I pick them up at places like carboots, usually people don't care, or seem interested in the fact that I collect them. One time I bought some ponies from a stall where a young boy got excited because I was wearing a rainbow dash top. Apparently he's really into ponies and they had to sell some because he had too many according to his mum xD I guess it differs per person though. I can imagine if you've ever had bad experiences with buying then it's going yo make you feel paranoid. But hey, at the end of the day, who cares what other people think? As long as you're happy then that's fine!

:rainbow: Wantlist :rainbow: eBay Listings :rainbow: Arena Sales :rainbow:

Offline hilamb

• Myrskyisä yö poni
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2014, 12:17:10 AM »
I did feel like that when i was a teen, but not anymore. :) :hug:  Im sure it will pass, so dont worry.

Thank you valerie :heart:

Rainfeather

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2014, 01:15:52 AM »

Honestly, I'm surprised that people will give women crap for buying ponies.  I mean, you'd expect women to like girly things, now wouldn't you?

I wish it was like that... but when you are a woman you are supposed to be 'mature'. :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal