collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Would you name your kid after a pony?  (Read 13193 times)

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Would you name your kid after a pony?
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2014, 07:42:08 PM »
I agree with everyone who said that no matter what the name is, if your SO doesnt want it, dont do it. Whether its a common name or a strange name, it has to be something you both can agree on.

Personally I think Rarity would be a really pretty name.

Sprinklecupcake

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2014, 07:53:55 PM »
I wouldnt do that, especially if its something like rainbow dash :O Im naming my future child( IF i can have any) based on my husbands and I's names but changing a letter. Girl is Kari and son is Cale. :-)

Hilarious topic as I have a coworker who named her newborn after a character on adult swim show, that kid is going to have problems if they google.  BUT she is the same person who says eggs have good cholesterol, Frozen is the worst movie ever, UK is an uneducated country (complete BS), and George Washington is a myth LOL.....

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2014, 10:35:21 PM »
Nope, I wouldn't name my kid after a pony(unless the pony name was a legitimate person name to begin with). My mom was a teacher for many years, and this obsession with having "original" or "unique" names has been going on for a while now.  She actually had a brother and sister in her class with names that were pronounced "orange jello" and "lemon jello".  They were spelled differently, but that's how they were pronounced.

I don't like the creative naming thing, and I really don't think kids should be named after tv/movie/comic book/whatever characters(unless the names in question are at least somewhat normal).  Pop culture stuff is only relevant for a short time, but a name is for 80+ years.  If you couldn't see a 50 year old person living with that name,  or see a person getting taken seriously at a job interview with a name, you probably shouldn't curse your kid with it.  Something that's cute when they're 3 isn't so cute when they're 30 and trying to make a life for themselves.

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2014, 10:55:37 PM »
Yes and I'm going to. I think Luna is a lovely name xD

Luna is a normal name though. And even though I am a HUGE Princess Luna fan, I would be more likely to think a kid was named after Luna Lovegood than our pony princess :) But I probably wouldn't even process it as a pop culture name.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2014, 11:28:14 PM »
If the names were normal sounding names then they'd be fine... but I would keep in mind of later in life... Mostly because of teasing and yes in that case a child could truly blame the parent for all the teasing and bullying because of their name and not just because the bulliers are doing it just because.

But yes I would suggest a name you both can agree on, just to keep things happy.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline klein

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • Dolls & Ponies oh my!
    • View Profile
    • Pullipsandjunk
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2014, 01:35:02 AM »
I wouldn't name my kid after a pony. My daughter is five years old, she is in class with a Sauron, a Phoenix and a Highlander . My friend's sister named her two kids Sephiroth and Naruto, you would have thought they would have learned after the first one  :huh: . The older kid HATES his name and goes by Seth or Seppy, the younger one seems pretty indifferent to his name so far but he's only four now. The mother is due again in like three months I'm curious what she will name this one.

I use the nickname zilla for my daughter online as I don't want to use her real name for privacy purposes. She was fairly destructive when she was little so my friend gave her the nickname the like amount of people who think that I would actually name a child after Godzilla kind of astounds me. People seemed shocked when they find out that isn't her actual name.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 01:38:03 AM by klein »

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2014, 04:23:49 AM »
*sings A Boy Named Sue*
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Falconaitae

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2014, 04:26:22 AM »
Why don't you name her Jenny after Macau Jenny. Then she would have normal name (and won't be ridiculed at school) and you still could call it a pony name.
My pony blog
It's better to be a famous drunkard, than an anonymous alcoholic

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2014, 10:18:34 AM »
Cadence/Cadance is actually a real name too.  I heard it long before FIM and I've always liked it. Of course I have a fondness for most musical based names, except ironically Melody and Harmony. I really like Aria, Allegra (although the medication has ruined it a bit), Cadenza, Calliope...but Cadence was always my favorite. 

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2014, 10:27:19 AM »
My daughter's middle name is Lily. I think that was about as far as I went. I almost went with Melody not Medley. Though I didn't want Mel as a nickname.

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2014, 10:39:26 AM »
Not that I have or want children, but NO. I would not stick a poor human with a name like "Applejack," "Cuddles," or "Pinwheel." :lol: I wouldn't name a child after anyone, actually. I would carefully choose a first and middle name that I loved and felt went well together.

I didn't read through the whole thread, so sorry if someone said this already,
But recently there was a little girl featured on Toddlers and Tiaras named Rainbow Dash!

That was a nickname.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 10:42:14 AM by Tap Dancer »

popyduggan

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2014, 10:42:16 AM »
Pony names are like pet names and would be humiliating imo, but I've heard a lot more messed up names than Rarity though.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2014, 11:24:05 AM »
Definitely not.  Not if the name is very obvious to MLP.  There are some exceptions like Luna and Lily, but I don't feel Rarity is one of them.  I think children's names should be a way to express the family legacy in some way, not to express the parents' current likes/dislikes.

For example my daughter's full name (and she does have two middle names!) incorporates some family names that have been passed down for generations.  It also has some significant personal meaning to both my husband and I.  It also is a name that translates to my own name in another language.  :)  And it is an actual place in Hawaii AND featured in a classic children's song... so depending on the circumstances in which we are explaining this, it's obvious this is the perfect name for her.  Nobody shakes their head at our crazy logic or snickers a little bit, which I admit, I have done when people are like, "My kid's name is _____, ya know, like from the TV show/movie/pop culture reference!"

And regardless... if your partner doesn't like the name, do NOT use it!  That goes for MLP-inspired names or even something classic like Elizabeth! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2014, 12:56:51 PM »
I'm gonna say it- I'm not crazy about Rarity as a pony name.

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Falconaitae

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2014, 01:13:47 PM »
Cadence/Cadance is actually a real name too.  I heard it long before FIM and I've always liked it. Of course I have a fondness for most musical based names, except ironically Melody and Harmony. I really like Aria, Allegra (although the medication has ruined it a bit), Cadenza, Calliope...but Cadence was always my favorite.

I've heard a story, that someone very important in Hasbro has daughter, whose name is Cadance, and they named a pony after her. I don't know if it's true, but I think, it's a right direction: try to get a pony named after your daughter, not the other way around :)
My pony blog
It's better to be a famous drunkard, than an anonymous alcoholic

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal