collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Would you name your kid after a pony?  (Read 13203 times)

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
Re: Would you name your kid after a pony?
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2014, 02:54:52 PM »
Doesn't someone on here have a kid named Ember?  I really like that one as a name. Honestly I don't care what someone names their kid as long as they don't tell you about it like "Well, we wanted to name him/her ______, but we wanted it to be different, so we're spelling it like _______"  Instant cringe. Spell it how it's meant to be and save your kid some problems later.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2014, 02:59:47 PM »
I wouldn't do it unless it wasn't "recognizable" as a pony name.  Like "Serena" after Princess Serena--fine.  "Ember", sure.  But "Dancing Butterflies", no. 

I would say no to Rarity because the MLP FIM cartoon is well known enough that the connection is going to be recognizable.

Also it just seems kind of sad to me to name a kid after toys or a cartoon.  I don't know.  Maybe it's just me.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline bubbles171

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • So Soft Pony
  • Thank you so much shiverdam my 2 loves combined
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2014, 03:06:55 PM »
I think it would depend on the pony name, but if your partner does not like it maybe you should find a name u both agree on.

My Siberian Husky is named Mimic because I got her from my sister. My sisters dogs had puppies and I thought it was a mimic (copy) of the mother dog. I get a lot of complements on it.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2014, 03:17:31 PM »
I actually have considered naming a child after a fictional character, but it is a real name anyway. I think that it's okay to name your child whatever you wish, within reason. You have to keep in mind what your child is likely to think of it, if it will get them teased, that sort of thing.

Of course, little kids will tease you over anything if they're determined to get your goat, but why give them additional fodder?
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2014, 03:18:37 PM »
don't think i'd name my kid after the original pony name, but would find the same word in another language and go with that, if it meant enough to me.

my oc of baby blossom, Anthos, is blossom in greek.
if i remember correctly it is a specific tree flower, but don't remember which.

that would be my solution.
names are really important. you can always suggest 2 middle names, its quite common in many countries.

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2014, 03:20:51 PM »
Yes and I'm going to. I think Luna is a lovely name xD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:rainbow: Wantlist :rainbow: eBay Listings :rainbow: Arena Sales :rainbow:

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2014, 03:23:41 PM »
I think "Rarity" can have a nice ring as a middle name, but I personally wouldn't do anything obviously pony-related.  Although, I would say Cadance is a nice name as well, but it's already a name, even if it's usually spelled Cadence.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2014, 03:30:26 PM »
Aw no.  I wouldn't assume my child will like ponies as much as I do.  I'm kind of unique in my family because I am a collector.  My child could be more like my siblings or my husband's family.   I definitely don't like all the things my parents are crazy about.  I wouldn't have appreciated a name that reflected their love of Bill Murry's work.   :P  I would look into names of family members or friends first and pick a name that she won't have to explain her mom's obsessions to her future friends/spouse/nosy co-workers and possibly save some embarrassment.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 03:39:46 PM by brightberry »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Cucco

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • poniponiponi
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2014, 03:35:45 PM »
Hmm... you know, I probably wouldn't unless it was a more common name like Tiffany or Ruby.
The G1 color-change hair set is my grail. Currently own: Mainsail, Seaflower, Shoreline

Evening_Moonstone

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2014, 04:52:29 PM »
I think strange names are best kept for pets.  We have a ferret named Sherlock, for example - but he's not going to have to go to ferret school, or send out a ferret resume for a ferret career. The other ferrets aren't going to give him a hard time for a strange name.

When we picked our son's name, we chose something with nerdy connotations but was still a normal name (Luke). And we gave him a perfectly normal middle name too, in case he hated the first name and wanted to go by his middle (we have a friend who does just that).

One rubric I heard for baby names went something like, would the name be more at home as "Your surgery today will be performed by Doctor _____" or "One night only, the red-hot steamy moves of ____"?

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2014, 05:37:33 PM »
Nope...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Chaosette

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I'm interested in everything to do with MLP:FiM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2014, 05:50:08 PM »
I'm gonna vote on the no side.
I once taught horseback riding to a little girl named Ocean, and it didn't feel like a gimmick because it suited her completely perfectly. I don't know how her parents knew or chose to name her that, but it was definitely supposed to be her name.
But Rarity isn't ever going to feel special to your child, especially when you tell her what she's named after. Your child is going to be a very special, unique individual who deserves her own special, unique name that her personality can define.
Not a name that defines her.
:) best of luck!

Offline cricket

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2014, 06:04:09 PM »
I think strange names are best kept for pets.  We have a ferret named Sherlock, for example - but he's not going to have to go to ferret school, or send out a ferret resume for a ferret career. The other ferrets aren't going to give him a hard time for a strange name.

When we picked our son's name, we chose something with nerdy connotations but was still a normal name (Luke). And we gave him a perfectly normal middle name too, in case he hated the first name and wanted to go by his middle (we have a friend who does just that).

One rubric I heard for baby names went something like, would the name be more at home as "Your surgery today will be performed by Doctor _____" or "One night only, the red-hot steamy moves of ____"?

We did the same thing!  My kids are named Chase Connor and Sawyer but their middle names are Nicholas Daniel and David and when they are old enough to choose we are fine with what ever they want to go by.

I actually think Rarity is very pretty for a middle name which surprises me as I don't usually name my babies or pets after other things.  I think you should do whatever feels right.  IMO Rarity isn't so bad. :)

Offline slj84

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2014, 06:42:34 PM »
I think if your girlfriend dislikes it, then I would go with no.  Rarity is a lovely name but it's really important for both of you to love the babies name.

I have a coworker his little girl is called Emma, but they decided to name her Emmaleigh because his wife likes the sound of the name Emily.  So they compromised. 

brittney_rochelle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2014, 08:40:54 PM »
I like the idea of nicknames. I don't like naming children after "things" unless it has a deep, personal meaning. But, that is just me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal