collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Would you name your kid after a pony?  (Read 13096 times)

Carcina

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Would you name your kid after a pony?
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2014, 08:57:16 PM »
I didn't read through the whole thread, so sorry if someone said this already,
But recently there was a little girl featured on Toddlers and Tiaras named Rainbow Dash!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2014, 09:40:36 PM »
I'm not going to rule out middle-naming my kids (that I don't plan on having, but if I did) Moondancer, Glory, Posey, Ember, Truly, Rosedust, or Up Up and Away (just kidding on the last one).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Magdalen

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2014, 12:51:15 PM »
If I ever had kids (and not planning on it) that would be a big fat no.  Maybe if I hated my kids haha.  But yeah I don't like non human sounding names for people.  Pets sure. My dolls, sure.  Kids, no.  And also not a fan of Rarity as a name.  But your girlfriend hates the name, so yeah you probably won't win that battle.  Any name, even a middle name, should be agreeable for both parents.

I also don't like weird spellings, unless it's really obvious what their name is.  People are going to be forever tripping over how to say the kid's name.  Luckily I have a normal name, which I like, even tho I don't care for the nick names people who aren't familiar with me use. -_-  I like my full name, thank you very much.

My sister shares a name with a popular Terminator character, however she was born before the movie came out.  She handles it well enough.

Offline clones_rebellion

• Evil Swap Queen
  • Trade Count: (+422)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2014, 12:58:05 PM »
I named my kitty Ember. I think it would be an okay girl's name too. ;)

~My Wishlist!~ Thank you Moonbreeze for my Atlas and Bastet siggy!

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2014, 02:02:41 PM »
Maybe it's because I'm German but I find the idea of giving a kid an object's name revolting. In Germany we have a different understanding of object names. I think it wouldn't be allowed to call your child "Sommer" (summer), "Paradies" (paradise) or "Rarität" (rarity). And even if you chose a variation of that name in a different language your kid would very likely get flak for it later in life.

It used to be hip to give your kid an American or French name at one point but not anymore. Old German and Scandinavian names are the big thing now and "Kevins" and "Chaquelines" are even associated with dumb parents :lookround:
To be fair, old German names are associated with snobs! And giving your child an ancient German name will make you look like a freak anyways ("Brunhilde", "Kunigunde").
I think it's funny that "Gretchen" is a normal female name in America. Nobody here would name their daughter like that. A.) Gretel or Grete would be the real name and "Gretchen" would just be the cutesy-wutesy version and B.) the name is so old and closely linked to the fairy tale of "Hänsel and Gretel" you'd look like a cruel parent if you cursed your child with that one XD
We once had an American exchange student named Gretchen and everyone made fun of her behind her back. Poor thing.

I was almost named Gretchen, which is okay, but I by far prefer Grete (Greta) or Gretel with Gretchen as a nickname.  Wish I had been named that as I am German and my first name is really really something else which I am not at all.

I do think it is cruel to make fun of an exchange student for thier name. Talking about how it is funny is to your ears is one thing, but making fun of them is mean and immature.

As for objects. Most names do mean something so you're never completely without another meaning.  Even German names.  But I get your point about not using the names that ARE the German word for something.  Are there any that are acceptable?  Perhaps a flower name?  Rose?  Ava?  Ava comes straight from the Latin word for bird and essentialy is Bird. 

Post Merge: May 24, 2014, 02:06:36 PM

I forgot to say, here in the states Gretchen is considered a clumsy ugly name you don't want to give your kid. So, you were likely just adding to the legacy of the general hate towards the name. 

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 02:06:36 PM by Marigold »

Shugahime

« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2014, 02:45:54 PM »
Depends on the pony we're talking about. XD
Maybe Octavia, or Lyra. :]

Rainfeather

« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2014, 02:58:23 PM »
So weird! Here Gretchen is a + name. Well... Everyone immedatly invissions them in a dirndl dress and with hands full of beer lol. Who doesn't like that?  :P

Besides that, I don't think Gretchen is a bad name in the Netherlands. Maybe because the word for 'Gretl' from the fairytail is very different in Dutch 'Grietje'( Gr-ee-tjuh).

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2014, 03:15:20 PM »
I'm fine using character names for kids as long as they sound like a name like if I ever had a son (pfffttt that will never happen), I would want to name him after Wolverine so I would use the first name he goes by which is Logan.

Rainfeather

« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2014, 03:18:31 PM »
I'm fine using character names for kids as long as they sound like a name like if I ever had a son (pfffttt that will never happen), I would want to name him after Wolverine so I would use the first name he goes by which is Logan.

Yes!! We shoud have a son together please :P Or Daughter. Logan for a girl is awesome too.

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2014, 03:26:28 PM »

I named my son after an x-man :P

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2014, 03:40:36 PM »
Yes!! We shoud have a son together please :P Or Daughter. Logan for a girl is awesome too.

My sister and I suggested Logan when my other sister was pregnant with my (now four year old) nephew.  :). Sadly, she didn't go for it.

Back on topic, personally there are a lot of other names I prefer before going to pony names.  That said, there are some that I think would be perfectly normal (Serena, Tiffany, Lily) and some that would work fine (Truly, Posey, Cadence.).

I think Rarity would be ok if you both agree on it.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2014, 03:49:43 PM »
I believe that the first name is the name that should be the most meaningful, it's the name that your child will likely live up to (almost everyone I know completely lives up to the meaning of their first name).

I think that middle names are the ones to have one with, I despise my middle name, only my husband knows it. I would've preferred if my middle name had been from a character on tv, movie or book. Not some ugly old lady's name that's like a great great great aunt that I have never even met lol.

I know lot's of couples who have given their child 2-3 middle names (one to honor a parent, one that the dad likes and one that the mom likes), I don't see anything wrong with that. It's a way to make everyone happy.

As far as school and future employment goes, no one ever has to know your middle, it's not something that must be included on school forms or employment applications.

There are names far worse than Rarity to use as a middle name.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2014, 04:46:49 PM »
Speaking as someone with a middle name which caused some teasing...lets just say, thanks to a certain Warrior Princess and even though I spell it with a Z and not an X and its years since the TV show was on, I still get weird looks. It is actually a family name and a girl in every generation in my family has had that name as a first or middle name but no one believes you as its pretty uncommon and most people associate it with a fictional character.

On the other hand, I do think there are lots of pretty names which have their common origins in popular culture - that people like because they are in a show/movie or just like after hearing it in such places. And I see no harm in those being used as a name - Rarity is probably one of those. Even without ponies, I think I would think that a pretty name for a little girl.

The only thing I would always say I do is ensure that the character/person's name used is not based on a character/person which could cause a child grief...like being a warrior princess for all your days :P So less about the name and more about the connotations. Although as others have said, kids can be mean and you can have a common enough name and still get teased - I had a Donald McDonald and a William Wallace in my class at school, despite them being perfectly normal and very Scottish names, both of them were teased over time.

I think its only the really out there crazy stuff, I would perhaps raise some eyebrows at :P

Oh...and congratulations to you and your partner! :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2014, 06:49:57 PM »
I believe that the first name is the name that should be the most meaningful, it's the name that your child will likely live up to (almost everyone I know completely lives up to the meaning of their first name).

Interesting. I don't think that really applies to everyone. I can think of a dozen people right away who don't live up to their name. My sister is as far from her name meaning as hot is from cold.  I think if the name has a generic enough meaning you can find those characteristics in people, but not every person who's name means wisdom is going to be wise or even smart.  Or have an ounce of sense. ;)  there are a LOT of Sophias being born right now and they are all different people.

Then there are names that mean things like island, flower, day, morning, colors, and places.  It's hard to say Marguerite lives up to being a Daisy-type flower.  Or Pearl lives up to being a shiny object made inside an oyster by a piece of sand and oyster secretions.  Or Marina is from the sea. She might hate the water and be born in the desert. 

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2014, 07:12:28 PM »

Interesting. I don't think that really applies to everyone. I can think of a dozen people right away who don't live up to their name. My sister is as far from her name meaning as hot is from cold.  I think if the name has a generic enough meaning you can find those characteristics in people, but not every person who's name means wisdom is going to be wise or even smart.  Or have an ounce of sense. ;)  there are a LOT of Sophias being born right now and they are all different people.

Then there are names that mean things like island, flower, day, morning, colors, and places.  It's hard to say Marguerite lives up to being a Daisy-type flower.  Or Pearl lives up to being a shiny object made inside an oyster by a piece of sand and oyster secretions.  Or Marina is from the sea. She might hate the water and be born in the desert.

I'm actually like that, myself. My name means "Poet" and I'm an engineer  :lol:.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal