collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

thoughts on the SDCC exclusive?

want the pony & spike
want the doll
want both
don't want either
*shakes fist @ hasbro!*

Author Topic: SDCC exclusive - EXCLUSIVES ON HASBRO TOYSHOP  (Read 45230 times)

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC exclusive - EXCLUSIVE REVEALED!!! Page 26
« Reply #810 on: June 26, 2014, 12:30:36 PM »
I think if anyone is to write Hasbro, leave out that it is also the Fair pony.  Call it the SDCC pony and say how you dislike the design.  It sounds like it is universally disliked and that is the issue.  Don't confuse "we want our own special Fair pony" with "the SDCC/Fair pony is hideous and not what anyone wanted".  If we ever do want to ask for a special Fair only pony we should ask, but don't ask because the pony we are getting is awful.  Make it a seperate issue and base it on the growing popularity of the Fair. 

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 12:34:48 PM by Marigold »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: June 26, 2014, 12:37:33 PM »
I dunno, if we could make a FB page along the likes of 'Give The Fair It's Own Exclusive Back' and it got let's say, 500 likes (no idea if that's reachable or not) I think they'd have a hard time saying no. I'm not a fan of Mane-iac in general, but I would have much less problems if I was a SDCC attendee. Because that would actually fit the situation. But for the fair, and at the 30th anniversary at that (which Hasbro has totally dismissed anyways), it's totally inappropriate. Basically, we've been tossed aside because we aren't a cash cow. And that's what bothers me.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 12:43:54 PM by Las-Pegasus »

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: June 26, 2014, 12:48:46 PM »
I thought the 30th anniversary was last year.

Offline Spectrum

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: June 26, 2014, 12:51:39 PM »
..Oh. Checking back, it was last year. They didn't do anything about it then, so the problem about that is still there.  :P

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: June 26, 2014, 01:02:17 PM »
Las-Pegasus, I don't think you understand, the fair *bought* the exclusive with a minimum run of 500 or 1000 in the years we had one.  The fair was paying $25 or so per pony, and if they were lucky, HALF sold. They had to buy the ones that didn't sell, and since it was contracted to be exclusive for the fair, they can't do anything with them. 

Hasbro would probably be willing to make them again, but if you figure $25 each for a minimum of 1000, that's not really doable. Unless you know of a way for the fair staff to come up with $25,000, anyway!

Heh, if I ever win the lotto, I'd be happy to help! :P
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline Spectrum

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: June 26, 2014, 01:13:12 PM »
I definitely understand that part. But :muffin: Pony and DJ both sold out at the fair, correct? I know that there was only around 200 for both of those, but I still think that :muffin: Pony would've sold out even if there was 500. Not sure about DJ. And the fair is way larger now then it was in the art pony era, and now we have both collectors and bronies. If we could get something that both collectors and bronies would enjoy, then I don't think that selling 500 would be a problem. Like I said, I can understand not wanting / being hesitant to do it. As much as I love ponies, I don't think having 200 leftovers would be my cup of tea.

I'm not expecting it next year, or heck, even the year after. But it's a hopeful possibility one day.  :)

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: June 26, 2014, 01:19:03 PM »
i think the  biggest thing that everyone is saying is the Price is too high for the pony.   and that  is     the problem.  a lot of people evne if htey dont like it   might buy it at a cheaper price.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: June 26, 2014, 01:48:58 PM »
i think the  biggest thing that everyone is saying is the Price is too high for the pony.   and that  is     the problem.  a lot of people evne if htey dont like it   might buy it at a cheaper price.
And even if they do actually really like it and think it's pretty awesome, they still think it's way too expensive. I bet if it was only $30 it would be liked more. It is a pretty cool pony just not $50 worth of cool.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Spectrum

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: June 26, 2014, 01:52:42 PM »
And that too. $50 is outrageous for one pony.

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: June 26, 2014, 01:57:06 PM »
And that too. $50 is outrageous for one pony.

my point!  exaclty if it were a cheaper  price people would buy it.  i  dont like her AT ALL but if it were 20-25 i'd proably buy it just to have it.
but the only  ponys i pay 50.00 for are g1s.  either  a MB  or   a mib/moc/mip

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: June 26, 2014, 03:21:30 PM »
So.

I was thinking. I realize a lot of the negative talk in here seems to be more directed by the fact this will also be the "Fair pony". But there really isn't a fair pony anymore. It's a pony designed for SDCC, and the fair has the choice to get a small percentage of that stock. I don't see why Hasbro needs to consider the fair/collector when only a tiny portion goes to the fair.

The numbers that were given by Sweet Tune really surprised me, because I didn't think they were that awful. We really are a small community.

But ok, throwing this out there... I'm not 100% sure how they work, but maybe next year something like a kick starter can be done to prove that the numbers, and the money are out there to design an exclusive fair pony? That way the purchase of the fair pony doesn't rely on one single person, and get them stuck with 100s of extras that don't sell.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why this couldn't work... As I said, I don't know how they work. It'd just be a way to "prove" that there would be enough demand. (*if* there is enough, because I'm not sure  there is*dodges fakies*)

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: June 26, 2014, 03:26:41 PM »
I think a kickstarter or other crowd-funded exclusive would be a wonderful idea, if it were possible. :) Kickstarters have done wonderful things, funded amazing projects that otherwise would never have seen realty, and large companies as well as individuals can do them. It would be a nice solution!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Jadis4742

• Trade Count: (+124)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • All the shy pose ponies, please!
    • View Profile
    • Pretty Nerdy
« Reply #822 on: June 26, 2014, 04:11:54 PM »
Can everyone go back and read through the entire thread before commenting? Because we are rehashing the same ideas over and over at this point.

To summarize:

1) The special Fair pony was discontinued because of low sales, and the Fair organizers had to pay for them and are still stuck with unsold stock YEARS later.

2) MLP collectors and Fair-goers are just a TINY drop (less than 1%) in Hasbro's market.

3) MLP is one of Hasbro's smaller properties, hence no anniversary ponies last year or the year before.

4) Hasbro does NOT MAKE MONEY from the old ponies, which is why they are focused on G4. Hasbro only makes money selling current ponies to wholesellers.

5) We CANNOT make any kind of unofficial or official or special Fair pony using the My Little Pony Fair name. It is a legal issue.

6) The majority of Bronies and collectors dislike the SDCC figure for these main reasons:
     A. The pony and Spike figure are not worth $50
     B. The pony is not brushable
     C. The pony is not detailed enough
     D. The pony is a minor character

6a) Those that like the SDCC exclusive are excited about:
      A. a Power Pony villain (which hints at a Power Pony Mane 6 release) 
      B. the possibility of posable hair
      C. the adorable little Spike
      D. that it looks cool
      E. they liked the character itself

7) The SDCC figure MIGHT have posable hair but this has NOT been confirmed.

8) Sales of the exclusive support the MLPFair. An official boycott will hurt the Fair.

Things we CAN do:

1) Write a letter to Hasbro and express your disappointment with the figure.

Optional: Tell them you would like to see more G1 references in the toy line.

Do NOT start a petition or campaign for a separate Fair pony. This route has several downsides.

1) The fair is a MINUSCULE market for Hasbro. They probably won't do it at all.
2) If they do, and the pony does not sell, the Fair will get stuck with the bill and might cease to exist.
3) If they do, and collectors DO want the SDCC pony, we will lose our special outlet to purchase it.

Have I missed anything?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 07:26:58 PM by Jadis4742 »

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: June 26, 2014, 04:16:55 PM »
The people I feel really bad for are the Fair staff.  They work hard all year to put this event together, and on top of that they have to deal with all this anger over something that they have no control over. 

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: June 26, 2014, 04:35:55 PM »

6) Everyone (Bronies, collectors, my mom who doesn't really care but has listened to me talk about it for at least an hour) dislikes the SDCC figure for these main reasons:
     A. The pony and Spike figure are not worth $50
     B. The pony is not brushable
     C. The pony is not detailed enough
     D. The pony is a minor character

And most of us would be willing to overlook B, C, and D if it wasn't for A. After all Iris Clops, Wydowna, and Scarah are just minor characters too.

Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal