collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

thoughts on the SDCC exclusive?

want the pony & spike
want the doll
want both
don't want either
*shakes fist @ hasbro!*

Author Topic: SDCC exclusive - EXCLUSIVES ON HASBRO TOYSHOP  (Read 46444 times)

Offline Jadis4742

• Trade Count: (+124)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • All the shy pose ponies, please!
    • View Profile
    • Pretty Nerdy
Re: SDCC exclusive - EXCLUSIVE REVEALED!!! Page 26
« Reply #840 on: June 26, 2014, 07:26:06 PM »
6) Everyone (Bronies, collectors, my mom who doesn't really care but has listened to me talk about it for at least an hour) dislikes the SDCC figure for these main reasons:
     A. The pony and Spike figure are not worth $50
     B. The pony is not brushable
     C. The pony is not detailed enough
     D. The pony is a minor character

um, you can say "the majority", but according to the poll and comments not "everyone" feels this way (roughly 18% of the people who voted here like/want her). I, for one, am excited to get her and I LOVE her. She's a character that I actually like anyway. I love her hair AS IS and am glad this pony in particular is not brushable (though that's my one exception for liking molded hair).
I'm a little iffy on the $50, but if she really is DaP size and spike is bigger that's much easier for me to take
and when I looked at EquestriaDaily the other day, it seemed more than not liked her... :/
as for D....the past two years were also minor character. I mean, Mane-iac is a major character in one episode. DJ doesn't have ANY speaking lines, and :muffin: Pony has been reduced to a non-speaking character (though she appears with the most regularity and is acknowledged by other ponies on a regular basis). Not saying D's not a reason to be upset, just pointed out that it's not unusual for Hasbro to go this route....and many of us were not wanted a mane 6 rehash right?

Done! Also added item 6a, reasons why people like the SDCC figure. I don't like leaving anyone out.

And sorry about that oversight. I was trying to be objective on everything else but slipped on the figure itself!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: June 26, 2014, 07:57:06 PM »
I personally am breathing a sigh of relief that I did not pre-order this.  I’d rather spend my $50 at the fair on the awesome fair merchandise.  The fair staff does an exceptional job in keeping the pony magic alive year after year.  While this pony may be fitting for Comic Con, it is disappointing that Hasbro does not make more of an effort to recognize the long-time collectors for the fair, and in general.  I do understand the financial difficulty for Hasbro to do this, but no matter how small in number we collectors are, many of us have, after all, been loyal to the brand for 30+ years.  I’m also not impressed with the doll.  The reason my little ponies made my childhood is because they were just that: ponies.  I am of course happy for those who do like the exclusives, but I'm afraid this is just not my cup of tea  :awake:
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: June 26, 2014, 08:13:46 PM »
The people I feel really bad for are the Fair staff.  They work hard all year to put this event together, and on top of that they have to deal with all this anger over something that they have no control over.

This. Huge thank you to the Fair staff for making sure we get any exclusive at all!

Offline MidnightMocha

• Trade Count: (+249)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • But the stars in the sky look like home
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: June 26, 2014, 09:04:02 PM »
Hmmm...it's decided- I want the pony! If anyone is getting it and promptly wants to get rid of it, I'm your gal.
Will always trade for limited edition/90s Pikachu stuff!

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #844 on: June 26, 2014, 10:28:40 PM »
You forgot that even though 70% of us are unhappy we've decided to just suck it up and be grateful for anything in order to afford offending hasbro :/

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #845 on: June 27, 2014, 03:26:29 AM »
I was wondering if the Fair is able to afford an exclusive, can the Fair choose the design of the pony? Honestly, if I'm the mod, I'll never accept the Egyptian Art Pony that looked haphazardly designed. I mean we as collector are more intimate with each other and better understand what the community will buy or won't. Just because someone in Hasbro has a degree in Marketing doesn't mean they are pure genius at uncovering demands, and I feel like sometimes some things are forced down our throat to stoke some artist ego at Hasbro because it's their "baby" and they are probably in a position high enough that everyone wants to please that person or persons. Providence was at least pretty, so was Peacock pony.  Even then, they are "nice" but not "OMG I'll make 10000 human sacrifices for that pls pls pls plsplsplspls!"

Also selling $25/pc to the Fair is such a rip-off. The art pony was sold $28 in Singapore stores then it came down to $26 because no one bought them and eventually were clearing $14/pc over Christmas. The MLP Fair shouldn't be absorbing the exclusives at full price.

I'll be happy  to have something "NORMAL" for once. Something afforadable and can come in a small variety to make them collectable for fun. I thought Bay Breeze was nice. It gave me the feeling of a Mail Order rather than something too special for its own good. I think I would have preferred if Hasbro suddenly pulled Holly Dash off the main line like they did with Bay Breeze rather than come up with that medusa pony. I'd buy multiples of Holly Dash to keep and trade. Or better still sell the rainbow power Rarity in a baggie as STANDALONE without the EQG doll.  I'd so buy her as well.

I am not saying Hasbro is total rubbish at this point, but  it feels like they're sabotaging their fan base on purpose, and it feels almost malicious. It's like I wrote to my uni admissions the other day. She's a staff right? She's supposed to be helpful and professional right? Well, she was passive aggressive and whatever I asked, she simply told me to read the booklet they sent me and re-post links to the school website like she was too smart for any of my questions. And I think she was somewhat happy and triumphant when she knew I was offended. That's how I feel about Hasbro reps right now.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:39:57 AM by DebonaireThundercloud »

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: June 27, 2014, 05:29:33 AM »
I actually am not a big fan of the art ponies either.  They had too much going on.  I would by far prefer an exclusive that looks like a normal pony.  Like if they came up with a FS pony with a unique symbol for her and her own color scheme, but they don't have to do anything fancy.   

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: June 27, 2014, 06:50:35 AM »
I'm also wondering how much each exclusive pony costs Hasbro to make.  I can't imagine the cost is too much higher than a normal pony of a similar size.  The Fair could also for a mainstream pony using existing molds with a unique symbol representing the Fair's location or some theme.  Then they could sell them for a reasonable price and people would see them as a keepsake.

Why don't I work for Hasbro?  I'm probably smarter than half the people running that company.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #848 on: June 27, 2014, 06:53:20 AM »

4) Hasbro does NOT MAKE MONEY from the old ponies, which is why they are focused on G4. Hasbro only makes money selling current ponies to wholesellers.

Convention exclusives aren't created to make money, though.  Convention exclusives are meant to reward followers of the brand, to pump up excitement so that people will buy stuff from stores the rest of the year, and to give the toy designers a chance to do fun things that wouldn't be able to sell to the mass market. 

Collectors may be be 0.00001% of Hasbro's audience, but the convention exclusives are 0.00001% of Hasbro's sales, you know?  Like, even if they didn't sell a single "Transformers 80s hair metal band" set, it would still not be worth mentioning in their quarterly report.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 07:07:18 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #849 on: June 27, 2014, 07:02:44 AM »
If someone is going to start a campaign, I would much rather get behind a G1 to G4 campaign.  I think that it would be more positive in tone, more people both collector and Brony can get behind it and more likely to get us what we want in the end.  And if Hasbro decides to do them as a general release rather than an exclusive, then that would be even better.  I've thought about starting my own facebook campaign using Firefly and Gusty/Glory as mascots but the whole idea of running it myself intimidates me.

Exactly. If it was Firefly or Surprise as a G4, whatever wasn't bought by fair goers would definitely be snatched up by the brony side (I still think Firefly would be the one though). 

BTW did all of the Peacock fair exclusives sell out? I saw a pic' of her and I'm starting to get interested.

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Moss

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Let it go~
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: June 27, 2014, 07:47:50 AM »
BTW did all of the Peacock fair exclusives sell out? I saw a pic' of her and I'm starting to get interested.
I was wondering this myself, actually. I can't seem to find any for sale online.

But as others have said, I feel like this exclusive is just kinda... lazy. It looks like it was kinda thrown together last minute. Not only that, but it definitely isn't that hard to come up with something that would appeal to all different types of fans. I can't imagine Hasbro is totally unaware of how popular some of the G1 ponies are with the Bronies. Or maybe I'm just giving them too much credit :P
Click here for MLP coupons --->
link
avatar from generalzoi's pony creator
formerly known as Mosspath!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: June 27, 2014, 08:31:10 AM »
I wonder what percentage of the "shake their fist @ Hasbro" people are just upset about the price. We need a new poll.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: June 27, 2014, 08:52:07 AM »
I wonder what percentage of the "shake their fist @ Hasbro" people are just upset about the price. We need a new poll.

For me, it's 3 things:
1. The pony looks to be poorly done and quickly thrown together
2. The price
3. The doll looks like far more time and effort was put into her design (even though she still doesn't have the same quality and articulation that a MH doll does)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: June 27, 2014, 09:04:22 AM »

For me, it's 3 things:
1. The pony looks to be poorly done and quickly thrown together
2. The price
3. The doll looks like far more time and effort was put into her design (even though she still doesn't have the same quality and articulation that a MH doll does)

Actually she looks to be articulated and while I can't tell about it from just a picture, the regular dolls have improved in quality and I can't picture a SDCC exclusive having worse quality than a regular doll. I swear I think the earlier dolls were just rushed out early to be out in time for the Holidays and before they had a chance to work out the kinks.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: June 27, 2014, 09:37:46 AM »
I'm not saying she isn't articulated, just that it's not the same kind of quality and detail as a MH doll. Like a MH doll has 11-13 points of articulation, whereas an EQD only has 7-9pts of articulation (based on the dolls that have pegs and not feet).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal