collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

thoughts on the SDCC exclusive?

want the pony & spike
want the doll
want both
don't want either
*shakes fist @ hasbro!*

Author Topic: SDCC exclusive - EXCLUSIVES ON HASBRO TOYSHOP  (Read 46416 times)

Offline Okapifeathers

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC exclusive - EXCLUSIVE REVEALED!!! Page 26
« Reply #825 on: June 26, 2014, 04:37:51 PM »
Great summary Jadis, I hope people can read that, and that it will clear things up. :)

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: June 26, 2014, 05:07:56 PM »
The doll looks much, MUCH more interesting than the pony.  I mean for $50, I think the costume on the pony could have at least been made of fabric and not painted on. And I like the two-tone hair of the doll.

However, it also would have been neat to see the Mane Six as the Power Ponies for the exclusive.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: June 26, 2014, 05:21:37 PM »
Yea, I think pretty much what needs to be said has been said. I'll personally be sending an email to Hasbro, and I suggest anyone else who is unhappy to email Hasbro and politely explain why. No harm in that.  ^.^

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: June 26, 2014, 05:30:59 PM »
I will be very, very surprised if Hasbro doesn't intend to release a set of mane 6 power ponies as a more general release.  In fact, I think that if they had already made known that they intended to do that then the Mane-iac would be receiving a little more anticipation (the other issues aside.)

If someone is going to start a campaign, I would much rather get behind a G1 to G4 campaign.  I think that it would be more positive in tone, more people both collector and Brony can get behind it and more likely to get us what we want in the end.  And if Hasbro decides to do them as a general release rather than an exclusive, then that would be even better.  I've thought about starting my own facebook campaign using Firefly and Gusty/Glory as mascots but the whole idea of running it myself intimidates me.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: June 26, 2014, 05:33:47 PM »
I would talk to the Hasbro representatives at the Fair, as well as writing them a letter or email. Tell them what you would like to see as an exclusive pony. This is a pony 'exclusive' that is for sale at the Fair, regardless if you consider it an SDCC exclusive or a Fair exclusive or both, so if anyone is concerned with changing Hasbro's mind, it makes sense to bring it to their attention AT the Fair. Especially if the Hasbro representatives hear it from multiple people throughout the length of the Fair, it will really sink in to them what type of ponies the collectors are looking for.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: June 26, 2014, 05:38:50 PM »
Great summary Jadis, I hope people can read that, and that it will clear things up. :)

nope you didnt miss anything.

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #831 on: June 26, 2014, 05:49:37 PM »

i agree. amazing. think it should be added (by mod if necessary) to the first post.
or it's just going to get lost in the thread again.

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #832 on: June 26, 2014, 06:05:10 PM »
6) Everyone (Bronies, collectors, my mom who doesn't really care but has listened to me talk about it for at least an hour) dislikes the SDCC figure for these main reasons:
     A. The pony and Spike figure are not worth $50
     B. The pony is not brushable
     C. The pony is not detailed enough
     D. The pony is a minor character

um, you can say "the majority", but according to the poll and comments not "everyone" feels this way (roughly 18% of the people who voted here like/want her). I, for one, am excited to get her and I LOVE her. She's a character that I actually like anyway. I love her hair AS IS and am glad this pony in particular is not brushable (though that's my one exception for liking molded hair).
I'm a little iffy on the $50, but if she really is DaP size and spike is bigger that's much easier for me to take
and when I looked at EquestriaDaily the other day, it seemed more than not liked her... :/
as for D....the past two years were also minor character. I mean, Mane-iac is a major character in one episode. DJ doesn't have ANY speaking lines, and :muffin: Pony has been reduced to a non-speaking character (though she appears with the most regularity and is acknowledged by other ponies on a regular basis). Not saying D's not a reason to be upset, just pointed out that it's not unusual for Hasbro to go this route....and many of us were not wanted a mane 6 rehash right?

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: June 26, 2014, 06:16:26 PM »
Do NOT start a petition or campaign for a separate Fair pony. This route has several downsides.

1) The fair is a MINUSCULE market for Hasbro. They probably won't do it at all.
2) If they do, and the pony does not sell, the Fair will get stuck with the bill and might cease to exist.
3) If they do, and collectors DO want the SDCC pony, we will lose our special outlet to purchase it.

I sort of disagree with this (saying not to try for a separate fair pony). I believe that fair goers should have their own pony...  I completely understand why they don't right now (and I understood before Sweet Tune clearly explained why-- but even hammers down the point because she gave numbers).

It's just a matter of how. Because how it was in the past, where a fair person had to upfront money for the minimum purchase of 500/1000 ponies-- does not work. (especially when only 200-300 sell).

Which is why I mentioned kick starter as maybe a possibility so it could be funded by people who want the pony. (Even though I don't know any specifics behind it, or if Hasbro would like that concept). Or even if maybe they could go back to doing the branding thing like Frisco/Trolley. It seems like a cheaper route...

I cross my fingers that there is a way to make it work. Because I feel really sad for all the disappointed people. :( I really do. I don't think Hasbro is going to really keep collectors in mind when they design the next time either. Why should they? It's still only a tiny portion.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 06:18:07 PM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: June 26, 2014, 06:21:39 PM »

i agree. amazing. think it should be added (by mod if necessary) to the first post.
or it's just going to get lost in the thread again.

Probably a very good idea.  Or in the title or first lines "PLEASE READ SUMMARY OF THREAD ON [page #55]"

So.

I was thinking. I realize a lot of the negative talk in here seems to be more directed by the fact this will also be the "Fair pony". But there really isn't a fair pony anymore. It's a pony designed for SDCC, and the fair has the choice to get a small percentage of that stock. I don't see why Hasbro needs to consider the fair/collector when only a tiny portion goes to the fair.

The numbers that were given by Sweet Tune really surprised me, because I didn't think they were that awful. We really are a small community.

But ok, throwing this out there... I'm not 100% sure how they work, but maybe next year something like a kick starter can be done to prove that the numbers, and the money are out there to design an exclusive fair pony? That way the purchase of the fair pony doesn't rely on one single person, and get them stuck with 100s of extras that don't sell.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why this couldn't work... As I said, I don't know how they work. It'd just be a way to "prove" that there would be enough demand. (*if* there is enough, because I'm not sure  there is*dodges fakies*)

It's pretty much been proven already (sadly) that the demand is not what people think it is, given the numbers of leftover pre-FiM style Exclusives sitting in Fair staff basements. Plus, the legal/copyright issue would be a rather large obstacle. *snags a DG baby fakie out of the air, runs off with her before she hits banditpony* *Squeals with delight to have another one for the army, despite being ill-gotten*  :P

ETA: I Was posting this just as you were posting yours, sorry bout that banditpony!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: June 26, 2014, 06:48:25 PM »
I feel bad for all the leftovers just sitting in basements. I know that they probably can't sell them but why not donate them to charity so poor kids can have them? After all they are still toy ponies with brushable hair.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

CorpseyPuff

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #836 on: June 26, 2014, 06:52:42 PM »
So, can you NOT still buy the Egyptian Pony from 2011?  It says "In Stock" on the My Little Pony Fair website: http://www.mylittleponycon.com/mlp_fair_shop

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Canadian law student obsessed with MLP and MH :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: June 26, 2014, 06:56:36 PM »
6) Everyone (Bronies, collectors, my mom who doesn't really care but has listened to me talk about it for at least an hour) dislikes the SDCC figure for these main reasons:
     A. The pony and Spike figure are not worth $50
     B. The pony is not brushable
     C. The pony is not detailed enough
     D. The pony is a minor character

um, you can say "the majority", but according to the poll and comments not "everyone" feels this way (roughly 18% of the people who voted here like/want her). I, for one, am excited to get her and I LOVE her. She's a character that I actually like anyway. I love her hair AS IS and am glad this pony in particular is not brushable (though that's my one exception for liking molded hair).
I'm a little iffy on the $50, but if she really is DaP size and spike is bigger that's much easier for me to take
and when I looked at EquestriaDaily the other day, it seemed more than not liked her... :/
as for D....the past two years were also minor character. I mean, Mane-iac is a major character in one episode. DJ doesn't have ANY speaking lines, and :muffin: Pony has been reduced to a non-speaking character (though she appears with the most regularity and is acknowledged by other ponies on a regular basis). Not saying D's not a reason to be upset, just pointed out that it's not unusual for Hasbro to go this route....and many of us were not wanted a mane 6 rehash right?

On the note of "minor character", SDCC exclusives tend to be of minor characters that wouldn't necessarily do well with a larger market, or a special edition of a popular character. See Monster High that released popular special edition characters for two years, then switched to minor characters or test characters. Ever After High is doing a special edition character for their first year. Personally, I'm way happier to see minor characters get the spotlight instead of another Pinkie with special designs.

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: June 26, 2014, 06:59:51 PM »
*sigh* I've read a lot of the posts on this thread, and here's my opinion, which is just mine.
I think my biggest problem is that i have no frame of reference for this pony/Spike/Doll. I like MLP...I love G1, G2, G3 is ok, and i like G4, I'm just tired of the monotony. I don't really watch the show, but I enjoy the toys...when i first came to the Arena, 2012 Muffin pony was the big thing, and when I saw her I got it. She was adorable! I loved everything about her, especially her funny eyes and appealing happiness! I loved how the "new" ponies smiled, how their wings were proudly spread in the brushable line, and found the AJ, RD, Cheerilee etc playsets to be absolutely wonderful.
Now I'm just confused. I don't like the fact that it seems that the innocence is being lost in the ponies themselves AND the people who love them. I got back into ponies because i remembered how they made me feel as a child and they brought that same feeling out in me again...I missed that feeling. I wonder, now, what the reception would be to the RD camping set should it be re-released? It's my favourite set, but now i fear that the majority of people would think it silly and not "edgy" enough. I miss my innocence and I miss my ponies. I feel like a cupcake was dangled in front of me only to be replaced with a dentist's drill.

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: June 26, 2014, 07:07:23 PM »
i  hope that  the  staff will have soem of the older exclusives for sale at he con.  i would lvoe to get a few i LOVE the older art ponys.    i just cat afford the shipping. i tried to   get one of the posters a coupel years ago  and hte shipping was liek 10.00  itw as just alittle too  much.  so i htink tha tperhaps.. in order to get rid of all those ponys sitting in basements maybe     try and sell them at the fair  table?

or why not donate them to smaller cons? or people that cant get them normally like maybe  sick kids in teh hospital?

Post Merge: June 26, 2014, 07:11:46 PM

*sigh* I've read a lot of the posts on this thread, and here's my opinion, which is just mine.
I think my biggest problem is that i have no frame of reference for this pony/Spike/Doll. I like MLP...I love G1, G2, G3 is ok, and i like G4, I'm just tired of the monotony. I don't really watch the show, but I enjoy the toys...when i first came to the Arena, 2012 Muffin pony was the big thing, and when I saw her I got it. She was adorable! I loved everything about her, especially her funny eyes and appealing happiness! I loved how the "new" ponies smiled, how their wings were proudly spread in the brushable line, and found the AJ, RD, Cheerilee etc playsets to be absolutely wonderful.
Now I'm just confused. I don't like the fact that it seems that the innocence is being lost in the ponies themselves AND the people who love them. I got back into ponies because i remembered how they made me feel as a child and they brought that same feeling out in me again...I missed that feeling. I wonder, now, what the reception would be to the RD camping set should it be re-released? It's my favourite set, but now i fear that the majority of people would think it silly and not "edgy" enough. I miss my innocence and I miss my ponies. I feel like a cupcake was dangled in front of me only to be replaced with a dentist's drill.

I cna kind of see this.  a lot of the ponys and such  are no longer innocnet.. or sweet.  little girls no long wnat to  be princesses .  they dress skimper and skimper..    and.thre a lot more gothic a lot more..  not. i see what you maean aobut edgyer.. i mean look at the  sock/kiss ponys.  a lot of htem     seem to be darker mor gothicy..  in   a lot of toys.   its ike  kids dont want to be kids anymore thre     obsessed with being sexy and    stuff.  and that is sad.   but hats naother rant for later.  i was just saying i get wht your  saying.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 07:11:46 PM by Lorelei Redfern »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal