collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What kind of collector are you?  (Read 6038 times)

Offline loverofbalto

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of collector are you?
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2014, 02:07:51 PM »
I collect all generations and I am an out of box collector.  I display a few of my G4's and some of my plush right now, but mostly my ponies are put away because I don't have the room to display them.  I don't mind minor flaws, but I dislike huge flaws.  I do the best I can to rescue hurt ponies and make sure someone can fix them.  Ponies, accessories, and merchandise are things I will always collect especially if they are covered with ponies.

Offline doxiechic16

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2014, 04:32:22 PM »
Do you only collect one generation?
I only collect G1s.  I grew up with them and they make me happy.   :biggrin:

Do you keep your ponies in their boxes?
If I buy a G1 that is still MIB or MOC, I wouldn't remove it unless the packaging was absolutely destroyed and/or causing harm to the pony.

Do you collect every pony you can or do you only go for certain models/colours etc?
I only collect ponies that I like, although I'm finding that my want list is growing longer rather than shorter as I learn about and buy more ponies.  I didn't even know that a lot of the non-US releases existed until a few years ago and I've got A LOT to learn about Nirvanas.    :lol:

Is there a certain condition your ponies have to be in?
I like good condition to as mint as possible.  I can stand some marks, rubs, and minor issues associated with age and playwear.  I can tolerate very, very minor haircuts, but they tend to drive me nuts; I often strive to upgrade ponies with haircuts as quickly as possible.   

Unipeg

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2014, 06:10:56 PM »
•Do you only collect one generation?

I mostly collect G1's and some G3's - G4's. I love love Nirvanas and the top favorite on my list is the Greeks.

•Do you keep your ponies in their boxes?

I do for the most part, but if the card is poor I might as well remove it, to avoid any damage.   :lookround:

•Do you collect every pony you can or do you only go for certain models/colours etc?

At the beginning I collected all G1';s even the HK versions,  but now with bad economy and time passing I am have only kept and still collect Greeks, and some Brazilians. 

•Is there a certain condition your ponies have to be in?

I love the ponies to be in Excellent to Mint condition. Yap I am a really picky pony.  :accomplished:

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2014, 06:31:53 PM »
I primarily prefer G1 and G3, but I have the odd G4 hanging about.  I'm not opposed to collecting others, but

I do not it takes up too much space and I've never found the boxes to be particularly appealing to me. I also don't keep accessories as I find them a bit trifling. I'll leave all the MIB and accessories to the folks who will actually appreciate them.

Do you collect every pony you can or do you only go for certain models/colours etc?
I haven't actively collected in a few years so I maybe add one pony a year or so.  I guess it depends on where I get it from and if that pony really stands out to me color and posewise.

Is there a certain condition your ponies have to be in?[/li][/list]
No haircuts please.  Most of my ponies are in good condition.  A little blush smudging or some scrapes to the symbol doesn't offend me.  I do have a baby glider who's missing her leg and horn though.  She's just too cute to bait and I rather like her character too much to attempt a restoration.
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

Offline thesugarpuppie

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • formerly Gothic Sugar
    • View Profile
    • My sites
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2014, 07:55:12 PM »

Do you collect only one generation?
Hmm, well, when I first started, I was just collecting G1 and G3.  I didn't even know about G4 yet.  I think we were just getting through 3.5 when I was really getting into it and when I heard about 4, I thought it was going to be a horrible remake.

Though now I'm a G1, 3, and 4 collector.

I know that they're better kept in boxes, but I also like having them loose.  So if it's something special I'd keep it in a box unless I can get two of them-one for the box, one for loose; which isn't feasible at the moment. 

At first, I went nuts collecting nearly any and everything because it was My Little Pony and it was like nostalgia was getting the better of me.  Also, ebay is an extremely competitive place and kind of addicting when you have extra money.

After thinning out the herd so to speak, I'm focusing on my favorites from each generation that I like.  Some are specific ponies and others share a common theme.

*Any ponies you can't stand?
BBE-they just look super creepy to me.  Thankfully I found a way to alter those so I'm more open to them now.  And I don't like G2 at all.

I like all of my ponies to be mint.  Unless I'm doing a custom, I don't want bait, bites, cancer, et cetera  If it's something that I just can't find, then I'll consider marks under the hooves or something.

*Pony hunting: online or off?
I like both.  I prefer offline though because of the feeling that comes from finding something in person-especially in thrift stores.  But I like getting mail and packages as well.
Instagram
Twitter
Ko-fi
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2014, 08:37:45 PM »
I do not, I collect almost any, except 3.5.  I love the others and I would love to cultivate my 1 and 2 more, but for now, the 4 is easier to purchase. 

lol no, I have no self control, and toys are meant to be played with, not kept in a box.

It depends on what I want.  I don't always want all the ponies in a collection, so I don't get them.  I get what I want and no more, no less. 

Nah, not really.  I take all conditions of ponies. 

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2014, 11:39:13 PM »
I pretty much only collect G1. I say pretty much because when I was a young pony collector, I bought quite a few G2s from stores, and my sister bought quite a few G3s from stores, and now I even have a G4 (Sunny Rays, I believe) and am tempted to keep the Sunset Shimmer I bought instead of selling her. But I only actively collect G1s.

No. If I ever found a MOC/MIB G1, though, I probably would keep it in its box. That would be sad for me, though, because I'd want to debox it but not be willing to because they're rare.

Only my favorites! Often they're blue ponies and baby ponies.

I like very good to mint condition (uncut, smooth hair and no rubs to eyes are my biggest qualifications).

Offline Tribble79

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2014, 12:52:38 AM »

Nope, I collect all generations.

I don't really buy ponies that are in boxes. I prefer to buy my ponies from yard sales and thrift stores, so they are always deboxed. However, once I get my Funko's, They will be deboxed.

I collect/buy every pony I find at yard sales/thrift stores. MLP, fakies etc.

Nope, they only have to be pre-owned. I don't really buy any ponies that havn't had a previous owner who has played with the pony. I like a pony with history.

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2014, 01:04:11 AM »

• Do you only collect one generation?
Once upon a time I would've said I only collected two generations (G1 and G3). I actually used to really dislike G2 and 4. Now though I've fallen for them and am slowly amassing quite a collection of them. XD

• Do you keep your ponies in their boxes?

Sadly, no. I can hardly wait to get them out of their boxes and do all the horrible stuff like brush and maybe braid their hair, and kiss them before setting them up where I can look at them either by my computer or on my nightstand.

• Do you collect every pony you can or do you only go for certain models/colours etc?
I collect whichever pony I fall in love with at the time, though there are certain ponies that I'm more likely to go for over others.

• Is there a certain condition your ponies have to be in?
As long as they aren't literally falling apart I will usually happily give them a loving home. I've got almost all my childhood ponies (all G1) that some might say were in baity condition, but they are all still recognizable as ponies and a lot of the time that's enough for me. :)

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

Offline Stars

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • 'You're special to me!' ~ Sweet Berry
    • View Profile
    • The Cave of the Past - My Blog
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2014, 02:37:47 AM »
I generally only collect G2 but I've ended up with a couple of G1 from lots and I'm happy to have them in my collection.

I am a loose collector. I don't have space for box or carded ponies and I would be way too tempted to open them. I'd sell them on.

I grab any G2 I don't have and is affordable to me. I will take certain ponies over others depending on the mood I'm in.

I prefer my ponies to have their eye gems and not have a buzz cut. I like manes and tails to still have a little length to them. This is only because it isn't cost effective for me to be actively restoring G2 right now but I will buy baits in lots. It's also not easy to colour match G2 hair.

Thank you to Nence for my lovely Rosie Teapony and Shiverdam for my Rosie Seapony <3
3DS Friend Code: 1805 - 2156 - 2596 | Mii: Ellie | AC: Nellie - Town: Phenac | Pokemon Y: Eleanor

Offline Rhubarbpie

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2014, 03:08:46 AM »

Nope,  I collect G1, G3 and G4.  I will also pick up G2 and G3'5's in carboots/charity shops etc plus if there are any gen's I don't collect in a lot I am buying (eg on ebay) I'll still buy them and sell them on.

LOL I cannot afford G1's MIB :) I only have 1 G3 MIB which I got in a swap and she stays in her box. G4's come out to play unless they are not brushables (like the Funko ponies).

I do go for every pony, I wouldn't put be put off buying because I don't like the pose or color.

They don't need to be MIB as I said, I usually de-box them, and I am not a picky collector. However, I cannot re-hair (no patience or resources) so baldy, buzz-cut ponies usually don't make their way into my collection (though I will salvage them on car boot sales for other collectors to restore).  I do have some ponies with trims and accidents that I do keep, for example, my US Baby Lickety Split has a big ole forelock trim, so she's used to set an example of why baby ponies shouldn't play with scissors  :biggrin: and then there is Gypsy who has a nice grown up short bob - she did have a scraggly chop job, so I reshaped it to a shorty bob and she looks quite good now!! ^.^  As for spots and dots and pen squiggles, I try and remove them, but if they cannot clean up then I just pop some pony wear on them to cover it up!

Offline Destiny

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2014, 05:48:51 AM »
Nope, I collect all generations except G3.5(I did once come across a 3.5 Starsong that I found cute, but generally they don't appeal to me).

Being my childhood generation, my main focus is on G1 and depending on what Hasbro does with G4, my collecting of those might be at an end.
I also only collect the playables and playsets. No merchandise, no petites/blind bags and such (I do collect some G1 merchandise though again because of it being from my childhood).

I can't afford collecting MIB/MOC's, but should I ever be fortunate enough to come across some, then I'll keep them in their boxes.

I do have some G3's MIB that I bought in stores and most of my G4's are in their boxes. I have no plans yet to debox them, but who knows, boxed G3's and G4's aren't that rare, so it wouldn't bother me as much to "release" them, should I ever need the extra space.

I simply go for the ones I like.

I have no prefered colours or molds or whatnot. I tend to add ponies to my want list if I have others from the set or think it's a nice set all together though (for instance, I don't really care much for G1 Hula Hula, but I love the Tropical Pony set, so of course I need her as much as the other three). I try not to lose my head though. I have fallen in love with some Nirvanas or really hard to find ponies (read exspensive XD), but I've agreed with myself that I should stay within the borders of international and U.S. releases.

Not really. I am far from a picky collector.

I guess it's because of 1. couldn't afford all the ponies I wanted if I should pay for mint conditions and 2. I've grown up in a home where you couldn't avoid having the dogs "taste" your things. Many of my childhood ponies have either suffered the "brainless-child-hair-cutting-process" or the "dog-thought-it-was-a-new-chewing-toy".
Getting nice and pretty mint or good condition ponies is lovely, but my home is also always open for those with chew-marks, scratches and haircuts. Even smoozed ponies or ponies with a bit of age spots or fainted colours, are accepted ^^
However, I'm not fond of very large cancer/age spots that are very obvious when you look at it at a distance. Mismatched head- and bodycolour is also something I avoid and of course, while I don't mind chew marks, I don't want ponies with missing bodyparts.

Love reading how some members here are very similar to myself and others are almost complete opposites ^^
Apple sauce!!

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2014, 06:02:19 AM »
I collect all generations, but mosty G1

Yes, if they are in there boxes when purchased then they generally stay in them.

It depends on the generation
G1 - Yes, I collect anything and everything
G2 - I only have a select few. I dislike the moving ones
G3 - Yes, but not fussed about collecting them all
G3.5 - Cheerilees for my army only
G4 - I only collect the regular brushables

If it's a pony I do not have it will stay in my collection until I get an upgrade. The rarer the pony the more flaws I am willing to put up with. I have definitely become more picky over the years.

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2014, 11:52:23 AM »
I collect all generations, but mosty G1

I take G3 and G4 out, if I am ever lucky enough to find G1 moc I would leave them there, then duplicate with a loose pony.

G1 - I collect anything and everything
G2 - Not common to find, but I pick them up when I do.
G3 - Won't pay more than $3 per loose, but I do collect them.
G3.5 - Yuck!
G4 - I collect the regular brushables, (but despise the multiple iterations of the main six)

G1 - If I don't already have the pony, any condition will do! (at a reasonable price). Sometimes I "rescue" ponies already in my herd for a good price, but not if they are "painfully common".
All the other G3s - good to mint condition only.

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • So Soft Pony
  • Always dresses in style
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2014, 04:29:40 PM »
  • Do you only collect one generation?
  • Do you keep your ponies in their boxes?
  • Do you collect every pony you can or do you only go for certain models/colours etc?
  • Is there a certain condition your ponies have to be in?

1. Currently only G4.  I love G3 and may eventually move into collecting it but not quite yet.  I have no interest in G1 or G2.  G2s are awkward and G1s are cost-prohibitive and I just don't think they're as cute as G3s anyway. :blush:

2. No.  Ponies need to be free.

3. At first I was only getting the ponies I liked (which is why it took me years to get Lily Blossom - I passed when I first saw her deciding she wasn't quite worth $7 when K-Mart had her).  Eventually lack of new ponies to buy meant I slowly filled in the gaps with pegwarming ponies and eventually Lily was the only one I needed.  Originally my rule was 'no repeat characters' but that gets challenging quickly when certain ponies come bundled with endless reissues of the Mane 6.  Now I have all of the G4 brushables (non-gimmick - no insect wings, molded hair, etc.) to date and a number of the blind bags (again, no gimmicks like glitter, clear, metallic...).

4. Preferably new in box but dead mint loose is acceptable (I'm only going to free them anyway).
Rainbow Dash always dresses in style.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal