collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What kind of collector are you?  (Read 5985 times)

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
What kind of collector are you?
« on: April 10, 2014, 08:47:25 AM »
I was just wondering what kind of collectors people were. For example:
  • Do you only collect one generation?
  • Do you keep your ponies in their boxes?
  • Do you collect every pony you can or do you only go for certain models/colours etc?
  • Is there a certain condition your ponies have to be in?

Etc, you get the point  :P

I personally collect all generations in whatever condition. Whilst I wish I was sensible enough to keep the boxed ones in their boxes, I get sad if I can't touch them so I always take them out xD

[moving to Pony Corral ~ many thanks ~ hathorcat]
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 09:23:34 AM by hathorcat »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:rainbow: Wantlist :rainbow: eBay Listings :rainbow: Arena Sales :rainbow:

Offline Sandi

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of collector are you?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 09:20:21 AM »
Do you only collect one generation?
I collect all generations, but mostly G1 and G2.

Do you keep your ponies in their boxes?
I take G4 ponies out of the boxes and buy loose ponies from the other gens.

Do you collect every pony you can or do you only go for certain models/colours etc?
I collect ponies with colors, symbols etc. that I like.

Is there a certain condition your ponies have to be in?
I accept minor flaws, but I don't want any in bait condition. The rarer the pony the more flaws I accept.
G1, G2 and G3 collector. I also collect a bunch of other stuff. (Too much..)
My collection website
My toy Instagram
My cat/nature Instagram
My Tumblr

Offline Juliepants

• Crazy Pony Lady
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 09:24:35 AM »
I just collect G1s but I sometimes buy other gens as presents for people, mostly g3.
I wouldn't even bother buying something mint in box cos would open it! So I leave the mibs for those who would want to keep them that way. :-D
I prefer to not have ponies with hair cuts but I have bought them that way, basically I haven't got enough money to be too picky! Most of my ponies are in "very well loved" condition! I only buy one of each, and only go for ones I like the look of ie I love rainbow haired ones but don't like beddy bye eyes for example. That's why I find it hard to pick a favourite cos I really love all the ones I have. I think my collection would be classed as small, its about 80 plus I have some recent purchases on the way, and I love all the ones I have! :-D
I've also collected some accessories, certain pony wear outfits I love and quite a few other bits, but the same things apply, wouldn't want to buy them mip cos would open them!
I would love to be able to display my collection instead of keeping them stored in boxes. Maybe one day :-)
Luv Jules xx

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 09:30:20 AM »
•Do you only collect one generation?
I collect all 4.5 generations at this time but am currently just keeping up with G4s as they're released and actively searching for G1s and G3s.  I have trouble passing up good deals on the generations I'm not currently after, though :)

•Do you keep your ponies in their boxes?
I am largely a loose collector.  I think my only ponies still in their packages are my TAF Pony Project and Bay Breeze (and any other super rare ponies I get will remain in their packages as well.  I'd actually prefer to pass on anything else that's MIB to a collector that would keep them that way and replace that pony with a loose one instead because I do accept and respect the rarity/value of MIB ponies).  To me, part of enjoying having ponies is being able to actually touch the pony and brush its hair.  I totally respect MIB collectors, but I just have so much fun getting to handle and play with my ponies that I find more value in removing most everyone from their packages.

•Do you collect every pony you can or do you only go for certain models/colours etc?
My goal is to have one of every pony made (at least US and European... I'm not yet sure if I'm prepared to jump on the Nirvana bandwagon yet!).  I debate with myself on a fairy regular basis on how badly I want to go after variants, especially as there are so many in G3 and G4!

•Is there a certain condition your ponies have to be in?
Ponies that I bring in must be able to be restored to at least a "good" condition.  Roughed up and loved ponies typically don't daunt me, but completely missing symbols/eyes, gouges or chews in the plastic and significant staining/mold/pen marks are usually deal breakers for me.  I'm fine with a good scrubbing, a little touch up and rerooting.  Most of my G1 collection is probably only in "good" condition and I even have a few that I would go as far as to describe as "poor", but I'm okay with that.  I hope to upgrade everyone to NM eventually, but I'm not a very picky collector.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 09:37:01 AM »
    • Do you only collect one generation?
    I think I have a few ponies from every generation, except G3.5...  I have been trying not to collect any more new ponies though except customs (from any generation)
    • Do you keep your ponies in their boxes?
    Some of the G4s I never bothered to take out- but I never kept the G3s in boxes, and I wasn't one of those kids that saved G1 packaging (unfortunately) or kept their toys NRFB (THANK GOODNESS!)
    • Do you collect every pony you can or do you only go for certain models/colours etc?
    The ones that strike my fancy- mostly.  Rainbows and sparkles and things... but I can't resist wild ponies at the thrift store or flea market either, no matter the color or condition.  But actually I am trying hard currently not to collect anything but customs (and the occasional Funko).
    • Is there a certain condition your ponies have to be in?
    Of course I like ponies in mint condition- but my childhood ponies are far from that, and I have a lot of baity ponies too from the thrift store that I've been meaning to fix up or customize...

I'm pretty impressed by collectors that are trying to get one of every pony-  I only have a sampling from various generations, and that already takes up a lot of room :D

svetilda

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 10:13:02 AM »
I love G1 ponies. So, I collect only them. But My DD has a couple from G3 (got them as extras from ebay purchase) and some G4.

I only have one pony in a box and so far I'm keeping her this way. But I want to get a loose one to be able to "play" with her. All other ponies that were bought new are out of their boxes (DD's G4) and boxes were thrown away.

Do you collect every pony you can or do you only go for ceain models/colours etc?
So far I collect only those ponies that I love. I love mostly babies/newborns, so I want all of them (but not with BBE). And then I want to have their mothers/pals. I can't afford to buy every pony nor Nirvana ponies. But I prefer to have my ponies completed with their accessories. Also I buy some pony wear (mostly for DD to play with).

Because I can't spend much on my collection I can't choose to much. But I'm trying not to buy ponies with cancer and major flaws. Also so far I haven't tried to reroot, so I don't buy ponies with cut manes or tails. And I already bought enough ponies with rust tails that I'm tired of opennig their heads and cleaning ther tails. So, almost all of my collection is in a good to poor condition.

Offline Bibinettepony

• Tickle, the Rainbow Pegasus Queen
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 10:23:17 AM »

I especially collect the G1, my generation  ;) and particularly nirvanas such as the French and Greeks ones. (ok I have some dutch, scandinavian, argies etc etc  lol)  but I have to admit when I found some g2 or g3 on a flea market sometimes I keep them  ;) but I do not collect them specially. But I love the G5 FS and some G5 Pegasus  ;)

•Do you keep your ponies in their boxes?

well the French ones no, as I have found none MOC for the moment  :biggrin: and I have Greeks MOCs.(ok and some loose lol) Ok  yes I keep my ponies on cards  :biggrin:

•Do you collect every pony you can or do you only go for certain models/colours etc?

Well at the beginning I collected all G1 lol but now I am reasonnable I only collect French and Greeks and the MOCs I Love for example the ones with French cards. (sorry to be sooo chauvinist  :blush: ) and I love Pegasus and Unicorns.

•Is there a certain condition your ponies have to be in?

I love the ponies in good, very good and near mint condition.
MLP forever MLP pour toujours

ramblequeen

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 10:24:14 AM »
I have a collection of G1s, G3s, and G4s

Only G3s, as I think they display very nicely in their boxes. I've never owned a boxed/MOC G1, and I either take my G4s out immediately or request that the seller send them loose for me :P

Do you collect every pony you can or do you only go for certain models/colours etc?
Right now, I've thinned down my herd to the few I like the very best from each gen. My husband isn't a huge fan of the pony collecting, and we don't have tons of space for me to display my collection regardless. Instead of keeping tons of ponies in moving/storage boxes, I decided to keep my favorites, put them on display, and sell the rest. I'm a huge sucker for glitter, I like stars, and I'm particularly fond of green, yellow, and blue ponies. I'm also very particular about  how my ponies display with each other within their gen, if one looks really out of place to me, I'll either put her in a different place, or sell her, depending on how much I like her.

Yep, I like my ponies free of marks and with nice hair. I did just buy a Flitterheart with a short haircut, but she looks completely adorable that way, so it didn't bother me :)

Offline Khema

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 10:24:25 AM »
I collect G1 and G3, mostly G3 though since they are cheaper and easier to find.

I have a couple in boxes - peacock pony from the 2009 fair, and the color changing Star Catcher, but the rest are loose.

I go for as many as I can get away with.

As long as they are fixable with some elbow grease then I'm fine with it. Anything broken/chewed/cancer is not an option for me.

Offline bladed

• Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 10:38:09 AM »
I collect all gens (though I have no G2 or G3.5) I'd only keep a pony in a box if the box was in great condition and it was rare (ha ha i'm laughing because i'll never get a MIB rare pony) if the box was damaged i'd take it out but try not to damage the box further
I collect all ponies and the only reason i wouldn't buy one if there was stains that can't be easily hidden/cleaned or if they had rust, or chewed bits (i'm sorry but ew it's been in someones mouth... yuck i'm a bit of a hygiene freak lol)

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 10:54:25 AM »
No, I have a few from each generation.

Only a few and only when the box is in nice condition.  Yellow plastic doesn't work for me.

Only the ones I really like.  Honestly, I haven't bought a new pony in a very long time.

It all depends.  I prefer minty but who doesn't like a minty pony?  My ponies are still loved even when they're in poor condition.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 10:59:06 AM »
    -Do you only collect one generation?
I collect only g1 as it is now, with a few favourites from other gens.

-Do you keep your ponies in their boxes?
If I buy MIB, it stays MIB. I don't buy g4.

-Do you collect every pony you can or do you only go for certain models/colours etc?
Only certain ones :heart:

-Is there a certain condition your ponies have to be in?
When it comes to loose, when it's not Lemon Drop, yes. LD I can take in almost any condition, other poneis... I want them to be as near mint as possible.
I like buying ponies in bad shape to fix up though!

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline MidnightMocha

• Trade Count: (+249)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • But the stars in the sky look like home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 11:02:31 AM »
I'm a minimal collector- my collection at all times stays at 20 ponies or less. This just works for me personally because I feel like I can 'know' them individually XD

I select ponies based exclusively on how much their design/colors/symbols speak to me- that said, I potentially collect from every generation! Any generation is fine if I love that pony! At this time, I have 2 G1 ponies, 1 G3 pony, and 5 G4 ponies, excluding some blind bags, Funko figures, and plush. If I had to say, I'd say I was a G4 collector but lately the toy line has been boring to me, so I opened up my collecting to all generations a few months ago. G1s are so cute!

My ponies are all loose, I do not collect any or leave any in box. They must be minty or close to mint to the point where I can spruce them up. Exceptions are always made for particularly cute ponies.
Will always trade for limited edition/90s Pikachu stuff!

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 11:06:19 AM »
no, I mainly collect two: G1 and G2. however, I do have a few ponies of other generations as well who I fell in love with and hence came home with me.

I wouldn't be able to collect MIB or MOC. I prefer ponies out of their boxes, as I like to be able to touch them, play with them, and display them posing with others.

I usually collect all and any I come across.

I don't mind flaws, or even baity conditions. I do upgrade though if I accidentally find a pony I already have.

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline Eurocoin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 11:08:39 AM »

I mainly collect G4, but lately I've started of buying some older gen stuff.

I open all my toys. Toys are meant to be opened and even played with sometimes. Older gen stuff I get loose anyway, so there nothing to be opened with them.

Since my funds are limited and there is so much stuff out there, I only collect what I like / want.

I accept some minor flaws with older gen stuff. Current gen stuff I buy new, so they always are factory mint condition, when I get them, of course this does not always mean flawless condition.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal