collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So, someone who bought up my ponies is listing them as mint when they're not. .  (Read 2436 times)

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
I listed two lots of ponies on ebay a couple weeks ago.

I knew they were likely going to be bought up by the pony flippers.  One lot went to a pony flipper, the other didn't.  The pony flipper is a notorious seller who says ALL of her ponies are mint.  Even though in her description she says she doesn't say ponies are mint UNLESS THEY LOOK LIKE THEY CAME OUT OF THE BOX. 

The ones she bought from me were all very nice, but NOT MINT save for a few, and even then, more minty than outright mint!  She has my Serena up.  Very nice Serena, but her hair was mostly faded and her medallions are badly, badly scuffed.  She's listing her as MINT.  Saying her hair has a lot of color even, and she doesn't.  She's was just the very slightest bit pink! 

What the heck!?  Is this not outright lying? 

She's got a few others that were mine that I'm pretty sure that are up, but I can't be entirely sure, but I am dead sure on the Serena because you can see the medallion scuffs if you're looking for them. 

Good gods.  This person didn't even have the nicety to leave me feedback, either! 

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
I understand your frustration. The seller in question is notorious for listing things as mint. I think she gets away with it because she does post tons of pictures. It doesn't make it right but it covers her behind, I think if any problems arise.

I have never personally purchased from her but I know she has a following. Hopefully whomever bids notices the flaws to her symbol and is not mislead by the "mint" in the title.  :huh:
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
oh what a nuisance! :(  that seller again *siiigh*  I really hope that whoever buys that pony checks the pictures first. Thankfully a lot of people know that her ponies are probably *not* going to be mint. Still... its not right she should just get away with it :yikes:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
Is that the seller who posts ALL her ponies as rare? I swear she's been copying my photo style. I put a dark background on my ponies and use ribbons on their tails and I have been doing this for years and she started doing that too. And it just irks me.

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
Is it bad to copy a photo style?  I rarely if ever list my ponies but if I ever do I might want to use my favorite style.  Like either a pony art back ground or a solid color. 

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Is it bad to copy a photo style?  I rarely if ever list my ponies but if I ever do I might want to use my favorite style.  Like either a pony art back ground or a solid color. 

Well, using a background style is OK, but the fact that she ties ribbons in their hair now (she didn't before) and plus the background after I had started listing mine like that irks me because I don't want my buyers to confuse me for her, especially since she I list all my auctions like $5.99 or $6.99 and now she does too. She never did that before. But one thing I NEVER do is list mine as mint if they aren't. I will list as NEAR MINT even if I cannot find anything wrong with them.

Offline Baby_Honeycomb

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Uh, I can understand you all so much... I've won many auctions and sellers always listed them in very good condition and you end up with a bait pony because the picture hides the flaws or description is wrong. Just recently I got a Snowflake that looked so nice on the picture and when I got her I had to discover evil dark ink marks above her eyes - they were taken away in the picture by a good flashlight.

I would never state a pony mint that is not boxed, so the closest state a used one can have to me is near mint. People have become quite shameless when it gets to making more money on Ebay and it's annoying me a lot. It hasn't always been this bad, started on Ebay 12 years ago and it had almost always been fun but more and more sellers (and also buyers) try to rip you off - and that's what it is to me describing an item not truly.
It's an endless story lacking a happy end.

Send via Tapatalk on my Galaxy - blame autocorrect for every mistake ;)

:biggrin:  There is always space for more ponies  :biggrin:
My wantlist http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,358238.0.html

Offline TinyShinyUnique

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • UniqueSubtleTreasures
I would never ask for this, but could you MiRaja or one of the Mods PM me with the sellers ID? I'm looking to buy Princess Serena and I'm watching several auctions, so I would love to avoid getting one which isn't as mint as possible :huh:

Offline aniko79

• No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • So Soft Pony
  • just fallen in love with Takara Ponies
    • View Profile
I have purchased a nirvana pony that turned out to be a rehair after I received her a few years ago.
[USER IS BANNED FROM ALL TRANSACTIONS ON MLP ARENA - Site Admin]

Offline MiRaja

• View Profile
I never really call my ponies mint either.  I prefer the term minty, even if a pony looks to my eyes to be mint, I prefer to say, "She looks near perfect to me, but she could have a mark or two I missed or this or that."  It's a 30 year old item, and while I deal with dolls mostly that are sometimes hundreds of years old, it's really important not to try to say something is perfect when it's surely not.  Most things sold even in the 80's weren't even perfect when new.  I've had plenty of ponies come through my hands who have paint marks on them that are clearly not from play but factory goof ups ( like the paint mark *perfectly* matches a color of the pony's eye or symbol, etc. )  and to title everything MINT or RARE is ridiculous. 

I hate scalpers ( as I call them ) of any sort, and I am a person who gets almost ALL of my stock via ebay.  Here's the difference: When I buy I actually put some work into what I'm selling, both research and restoration ( a large part of what I do is restoration, not just buying an item, and washing its hair and sticking it on ebay ) and then disclosing all the work done as well as every little detail whether it's frivolous or not.

I'd rather a buyer purchase an item, expecting it to be in worse condition, get the item and it be in BETTER condition than they thought than the opposite! 

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
TBH I use a dark background and also put ribbons in my ponies hair when I'm selling loose ponies on ebay - but again I've been doing that for many years, and I believe my own style is recognizable. I rarely sell ponies now, but I do have some to list soon so you'll see mine like that - but you'll know its me , not this seller! I describe every tiny flaw and I dont describe used toys as mint either ;)

When I buy I actually put some work into what I'm selling, both research and restoration ( a large part of what I do is restoration, not just buying an item, and washing its hair and sticking it on ebay ) and then disclosing all the work done as well as every little detail whether it's frivolous or not.

I'd rather a buyer purchase an item, expecting it to be in worse condition, get the item and it be in BETTER condition than they thought than the opposite! 

I completely agree! thats what I do too ^^  :nod:  unfortunately that is not the case with a lot of ebay sellers
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 04:30:05 AM by Ringlets »

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
I never really call my ponies mint either.  I prefer the term minty, even if a pony looks to my eyes to be mint, I prefer to say, "She looks near perfect to me, but she could have a mark or two I missed or this or that."  It's a 30 year old item, and while I deal with dolls mostly that are sometimes hundreds of years old, it's really important not to try to say something is perfect when it's surely not.  Most things sold even in the 80's weren't even perfect when new.  I've had plenty of ponies come through my hands who have paint marks on them that are clearly not from play but factory goof ups ( like the paint mark *perfectly* matches a color of the pony's eye or symbol, etc. )  and to title everything MINT or RARE is ridiculous. 

I'm the same as you when it comes to ponies that look perfect. I have a disclaimer at the bottom saying I describe the ponies to my best ability but I'm human and may miss something. But if I come across a pony and can find no imperfections, I say they may have a mark or two but nothing major or I can't find any major marks or appear mark-free. And of course label the pony as near mint because if I label it as minty then I am afraid it'll annoy a buyer who is actually searching for the pony Minty in their searches ;)

And I've been doing the dark background/ribbons for 11 years. I've been on and off eBay during that time but always at the Arena and TP. I started at the TP in 2003 and actually sold my first G1 pony on eBay at that time, a double from my childhood. And that's really what got me back into collecting in the first place. I realized there was a market for ponies and they were more than just toys not only to me but other people. And to my husband's chagrin, I started buying more ponies instead of getting rid of the ones I had :D So that is really the only reason why it irks me if someone copies my style: Because I have had it sooooo long. ;)

Offline MiRaja

• View Profile

I'm the same as you when it comes to ponies that look perfect. I have a disclaimer at the bottom saying I describe the ponies to my best ability but I'm human and may miss something. But if I come across a pony and can find no imperfections, I say they may have a mark or two but nothing major or I can't find any major marks or appear mark-free. And of course label the pony as near mint because if I label it as minty then I am afraid it'll annoy a buyer who is actually searching for the pony Minty in their searches ;)

And I've been doing the dark background/ribbons for 11 years. I've been on and off eBay during that time but always at the Arena and TP. I started at the TP in 2003 and actually sold my first G1 pony on eBay at that time, a double from my childhood. And that's really what got me back into collecting in the first place. I realized there was a market for ponies and they were more than just toys not only to me but other people. And to my husband's chagrin, I started buying more ponies instead of getting rid of the ones I had :D So that is really the only reason why it irks me if someone copies my style: Because I have had it sooooo long. ;)

When I had the space, I always sold with a black velveteen backdrop too.  It's a good practice, either black, white or cream backround with no distraction for professional pictures.  :P  Right now, I don't think the apartment complex would appreciate me thumbtacking a black back drop up ( has to be large since I do a lot of larger dolls on the side that are upwards of 36inches tall or more ) on their pretty cream walls.  Hahaha.  bad enough with all the pictures and my kimono hanger ( which I use for selling too. ).  So I don't know if it's a style per se, but rather it's something that works well for selling.  I myself, prefer a black backdrop and I've been selling since 2003 and only got back into ponies at around 2006.

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
It's not JUST the dark background. Mine is dark blue by the way. And so is the other seller in question. It's several other things I use in my listings that I notice she started using as well that she hasn't before. I had looked at buying some of her auctions in the past and I was outbid and then others had posted about their bad buying experiences with her so I had decided I was glad I had not won her auctions. So I make sure to avoid them now but notice how her style has changed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
Can I ask, is this person listed anywhere like on a watch list? I have certain ponies I am looking to upgrade and if I happen to see a post with "MINT" written (even though I always look at descriptions and photos) it draws me in and thinks maybe my eyes are seeing things that aren't really there... maybe someone could also PM me? :huh:

I buy lots to fix up but not typically lots that have "very nice" ponies in them (and honestly, haven't been buying in a while), I tend to restore ponies but as I know many people here do, a lot of ponies are in their "close to final state of restoration" because as mentioned, you put the work in to make them nice to sell them yourself. And you spent the time describing their details only to have them be flipped being described "better" than what you sold them as... meh. I don't get a good feeling from that at all...

As for the photo thing... seems irrelevant at how someone takes their photos as far as background or ribbons unless they're trying to hide something. Maybe she was trying to get them to look nicer and thought yours looked nice bluerose and wanted to copy it because of that? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, :lol:
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal