collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New Night Vale Thread  (Read 547 times)

AnnetheCatDetective

• Trade Count: (0)
New Night Vale Thread
« on: March 29, 2014, 07:30:19 PM »
I completely missed that there had been one, since locked down over inactivity, because I'd been on hiatus from all of my forums while I got RL stuff in order (or, um, tried to).

Anyway, I am obsessed. I adore this show, I adore Cecil, episode 43 completely BROKE me... and I would love to start any kind of discussion/sharing of fic-and-art recs/mutual squealing.

Offline moonsugar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • my Tumblr blog (may occasionally contain adult content)
Re: New Night Vale Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 10:33:32 PM »
I made this valentine for my boyfriend last month  ^.^

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I even did it with crayons! And it has hearts on the other side - when you hold it up to the light, you can see a heart over the moon in the eye.
:fox:

AnnetheCatDetective

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 12:06:06 AM »
Oh gosh, that is so cute!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 05:49:26 AM »
I've never heard of it.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 08:06:43 AM »
omg that valentine is awesome, haha. Night Vale is pretty much the best thing that's ever happened to the world of podcasts.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 08:56:38 AM »
I remember the first thread :)

Not my cup of tea but I do know others are into it :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

AnnetheCatDetective

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 10:10:52 PM »
I've never heard of it.

Welcome to Night Vale is a surreal horror/comedy podcast. It's a little bit like Twilight Zone meets Lake Wobegon-- the format is that you're listening to a radio show (or excerpts from a radio show-- we can't really be sure how long the show is in the world of Night Vale, but the episodes are usually roughly half an hour) from a small town in the desert.

Very weird things happen, including the occasional eldritch horror, but are generally treated as normal. It sometimes gets creepy. It sometimes gets super emotionally affecting (at least for some fans). It sometimes gets cute. It is frequently hilarious (depending on your sense of humor-- mine is a bit off-kilter).

The narrator is community radio host Cecil Palmer (the actor is also named Cecil), who loves his town enthusiastically. He also loves the cat that one day appeared hovering in the men's restroom at the radio station, and a scientist named Carlos (with perfect hair) who came to town to study the weird things that happen there. He hates Steve Carlsberg (that jerk) and the neighboring town of Desert Bluffs. He interjects his opinions into the show a lot, even when he's supposed to be covering local news.

It isn't for everyone, but the people who love it tend to love it really passionately.

And we don't really have a lot of information on how the characters look, so there are a lot of different interpretations of them in fanart. Some are really popular but none of them are canon, so you can imagine most things pretty much however you want when listening.

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 02:46:17 AM »
My friends have gone to the live shows - apparently they're super fun. And Molly Quinn from Castle's performed in them! And Mara Wilson! Who... maybe no one remembers her, but she was Matilda which is one of my favourite favourite movies.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

AnnetheCatDetective

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 04:22:02 AM »
Haha, yeah-- when we were listening to 'Numbers', my sister said 'Fay sounds like Alexis from Castle!', and then had to celebrate when she was right.

I really wish I had been able to make it to a SF show during the West Coast tour... but I can hold out hope for someday. They were sold out so fast, though! I enjoyed Condos once it was up as a special for-sale episode, and now it kills me to hear vague, spoiler-free things about how good the new one is.

I got my best friend into the show though, so at least I will have someone to go with if I am ever able to get tickets to a future tour...

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 04:27:08 AM »
I really have to catch up - I have everything downloaded and I've even bought Condos, I just need to sit down and listen.

There's a good chance that my upcoming twenty hours in airports is gonna be conductive to that.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 07:34:51 AM »
I'm super bummed I missed the live shows here. Even though they weren't expensive, I just didn't have any extra money at the time. New Carlos is adorable.

AnnetheCatDetective

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 04:08:07 PM »
Oh gosh, New Carlos really is the cutest. I haven't really changed my own headcanon on what Carlos looks like, but I still think the art that's come out where he has Dylan Marron's hair is really adorable.

(bluh pictures aren't working today or I would share some fanart...)

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 05:54:38 PM »
Yes, I love the fanart with Dylan's hair. Because it's not the same hair most people originally imagined, but when you really think about it, it is perfect hair.

Also, you know, this.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:57:15 PM by NoDivision »

AnnetheCatDetective

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 09:49:45 PM »
oh man that photo, yes. The photo that sent the entire fandom into a tizzy.

... and yet I almost NEVER see Cecil designs based on actor Cecil... which is a shame because I think he's very attractive.

This latest episode... Wow. Like, now I have to rethink a lot of things. A couple headcanons just got obliterated, but it was really good, so...

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 10:24:23 PM »
The first time my friend drew the characters how she imagined them her cecil looked quite similar to real cecil, and she hadn't seen him yet. I think he's very attractive too, heh. That Arbys is close to me, I need to go figure out which one it is.

eta: found, that didn't take long. Excellent.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:27:14 PM by NoDivision »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal