collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Obscure Kids Shows  (Read 19593 times)

Offline silverdragon54

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Obscure Kids Shows
« Reply #165 on: March 04, 2014, 08:53:49 PM »
OMG I found it!!! I dug around some more and I found the name of that kid's drama that I couldn't remember the name of! It was called The Odyssey, and I just found out the whole series is on DVD. I may need to pick that up. :accomplished:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Odyssey_(TV_series)
Will make custom plushie for MIB Fashion Style Applejack. PM for details!

See my pony art here!
My items for trade
My wanted list
My plushies!, Handmade plushies for sale!

Offline alkevin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 05, 2014, 07:10:48 AM »
I also love Class of the Titans. Which Rarity´s voice actress appears.

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 05, 2014, 03:11:48 PM »
Anyone know about Gullah Gullah Island?

I don't think I ever watched it but I remember commercials for it. I was never a fan of live action / puppet shows excluding really popular ones.

I watched that show religiously when I was a kid.  The on-location filing they did was in and around my hometown :3 (I live in Charleston, SC.  Filming was done in Charleston, Beaufort, Mt. Pleasant, Kiawa Island, Edisto Island, etc)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline Firehooves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 05, 2014, 03:14:04 PM »
Has anyone Mentioned Today's special? Or the legend of Prince Valiant?

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Star Spark

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #169 on: March 05, 2014, 04:34:44 PM »
This is actually a hard topic, since I'm an animation fan and have watched many cartoons as an adult that I missed as a kid- those mentioned already in that category include Scruffy and The Flight of Dragons (which is available on DVD from the Warner Archive.) Some of the shows and movies I DID watch that have been mentioned are the Unico movies (they used to play on Disney all the time), The Last Unicorn and The Brave Little Toaster (it's funny that we were all terrified of the air conditioner but no one seems to remember the demonic clown nightmare sequence.)

I remember watching a lot of foreign animated films that were dubbed into English just to fill airtime on cable channels or home movie rental shelves (both being new at the time.) I fondly remember The Little Fox and Samson and Sally (both of which are fairly brutal and sad by American children's cartoon standards) and a really weird movie called The Elm-Chanted Forest. I've collected them all on VHS over the years. :D In terms of cartoon series, I remember My Little Pony Tales (which everyone outside of older pony fans seems to forget) Conan the Adventurer, The Littlest Pet Shop (the '90s show) and Project G.e.e.K.e.R. Also, G2 Transformers (really just original Transformers, but repackaged in the '90s with a new opening and other edits.) Most of what I watched in/from the '80s (outside of the foreign films and other movies I saw later) aren't actually that obscure (I think Don Bluth movies from that time are fairly well known, though I loved them all) although I guess you can count some Disney films like Oliver and Company and The Great Mouse Detective as largely forgotten.

Though I didn't see them as a kid, I'm curious: does anyone remember Ringing Bell (an anime film about a lamb who seeks revenge by becoming a wolf- extremely intense for kids) or Last of the Curlews (the first ABC Afterschool Special, and a pretty devastating story; I think it only aired in the U.S. in the early '70s, but later in other parts of the world)? I'm curious if anyone remembers them.

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 05, 2014, 10:55:32 PM »
i LOVED flight of dragons!

thre are a coupel really obsucre shows i used to watch and i dont really remember the name of.. lol

like one for instnace    there are  no adults in it beucase the  adults left to do soemthing and got  caught in this  time vortex thing. and the kids are not on earth..  and theres   these time portlas they go through. and they get this horse called moshi and it was blakc.    and  it hinkt ehre was a kid named noah on it.   and the kids are   all livingon mars or soemthing..  nad there  trying to find a way to bring the parents back so they  go abck to the day they disapered.   i wish i could remmeber more..  it was an awesome seris

then there was this one  were these   kids there  were  three of them  and htey would make wisehs and stuf i  thinki t had a baby dragon in it or soemthing it was thrity mntues long and it    came on after chronicles of narnia  on saterday.  one time they wishesd for somthing   and  the food wasnt real untilt hey put it in there pockets and   stepped outside and hten it became real. 

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #171 on: March 06, 2014, 04:58:28 AM »
Though I didn't see them as a kid, I'm curious: does anyone remember Ringing Bell (an anime film about a lamb who seeks revenge by becoming a wolf- extremely intense for kids) or Last of the Curlews (the first ABC Afterschool Special, and a pretty devastating story; I think it only aired in the U.S. in the early '70s, but later in other parts of the world)? I'm curious if anyone remembers them.

I found Ringing Bell about two years ago via youtube. That was a very beautiful film. Dark, but wonderful.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 06, 2014, 09:05:55 AM »
Has anyone Mentioned Today's special?

I was OBSESSED with Today's Special as a kid!  For years I was convinced that mannequins would come to life if I just hung out in a store long enough.  And I kinda wanted to be a security guard if it meant I got a cool talking computer. 

I sometimes still get the theme song for Grimm's Fairytale Classics stuck in my head.  Is any of that on DVD anywhere? 

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 06, 2014, 12:39:57 PM »
Yeppers. I mentioned this one a few pages ago... lol. I will have to look for it on DVD. I've always wanted to see it from the beginning...
OMG I found it!!! I dug around some more and I found the name of that kid's drama that I couldn't remember the name of! It was called The Odyssey, and I just found out the whole series is on DVD. I may need to pick that up. :accomplished:

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline LordBlumiere

• keykid in a police box
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • doctor heart stealer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #174 on: March 06, 2014, 12:47:32 PM »
Oh! I just remembered, did anyone else ever watch Cleo The Misfit Unicorn?

they/them, he/him, xie/xir/xirs
grail: princess silver swirl (original)

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 06, 2014, 12:58:00 PM »
I remember Gullah Gullah Island! :)

Did anyone every watch Shelley Duvall's Mother Goose Rock N' Rhyme? My sister and I watched it like every day :lol:
My Wish List

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Grumpy Nesmith should be the next meme.
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
« Reply #176 on: March 06, 2014, 01:04:28 PM »
I just remembered a show that was on PBS. I believe it has James Earl Brown hosting and it was similar to Reading Rainbow.

My Etsy store for vintage and kitsch items.

Offline ChocolateStarfire

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Visiting The Land Down Under! :)
    • View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
« Reply #177 on: March 06, 2014, 03:44:15 PM »
I just remembered a show that was on PBS. I believe it has James Earl Brown hosting and it was similar to Reading Rainbow.

You probably mean this show, called Long Ago and Far Away...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Ago_and_Far_Away_%28TV_series%29
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales-Including Ponies!
My pronouns-She/her and they/them  ^.^

Offline silverdragon54

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 06, 2014, 05:19:03 PM »
Yeppers. I mentioned this one a few pages ago... lol. I will have to look for it on DVD. I've always wanted to see it from the beginning...

So you did! I read it too, but didn't make the connection. I should have another coffee. :awake:
Will make custom plushie for MIB Fashion Style Applejack. PM for details!

See my pony art here!
My items for trade
My wanted list
My plushies!, Handmade plushies for sale!

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Grumpy Nesmith should be the next meme.
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
« Reply #179 on: March 06, 2014, 05:51:07 PM »

You probably mean this show, called Long Ago and Far Away...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Ago_and_Far_Away_%28TV_series%29

That's it! I was searching for it forever.

My Etsy store for vintage and kitsch items.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal