collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Well, this is fun. . . ( Mexican Moondust/ Prince Emerald )  (Read 1242 times)

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
Well, this is fun. . . ( Mexican Moondust/ Prince Emerald )
« on: December 28, 2013, 03:33:41 PM »
So! 

I got my first Mexican Nirvana, raising my Nirvana country count to.  . .three!  All the others are Germans and Italians. . .

I am loving these Mexican Princes(ses), and do want to collect the entire set.  Mine is pretty rough, I mean, she will display well once I get some work done.  She has some really scuffed up hooves, but most of the damage is to the underside and her paint and symbols are not in the least perfect, but worst is her hair. 

The hair feels very different from US MLP hair, but it's really frizzed out.  I think her mane can be tamed, but her tail is shot.  Furthermore, her washer/crimper combo, whatever it is, is rusted to heaven and I do not see a way I can actually get it *off* her tail without further wrecking her tail.  I was thinking of bagging her tail, putting it away in case of resale or trade, and using one of my Moondust tails I have laying around here somewhere.  ( I have perfume puff rehair'd two Moondusts.  Shush, she's one of my favorites. )  The hair on these are not perfect either, especially given the ponies they came from were rehaired, but I'd better than what she has.  I know part of the draw for Nirvanas is the hair, but this stuff is shot.  It's really frizzy and heat-damaged feeling.  Plus the rusted washer that I don't think I want to try getting off.  That rust is only going to come back, and it could eventually damage the actual pony. 

Which brings me to my next question.  How well do Mexican ponies take to the hot iron?  I've done well defrizzing normal US ponies, but I'm fearful of this stuff.  It feels as if it's been heat treated before, because it's so brittle feeling.  Basically, she feels like she's bleached her hair out a gazillion times all while flat ironing her hair every day on the hottest heat setting.  As I said, I think her mane is salvageable, I have about a ton of synthetic hair conditioner and some professional hair oil on both her mane and tail, and the mane has improved quite a bit. 

Thanks for the help in advance!

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
Re: Well, this is fun. . . ( Mexican Moondust/ Prince Emerald )
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 11:39:37 PM »
Mexican pony hair responds very well to a flat iron. I've ironed the hair on all of my Mexican ponies  & they look 100% better. Good luck with your new Prince Ponies. :)

Offline aniko79

• No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • So Soft Pony
  • just fallen in love with Takara Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 04:48:56 AM »
Hey, it would be great to see some before and after pictures.
[USER IS BANNED FROM ALL TRANSACTIONS ON MLP ARENA - Site Admin]

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 04:58:08 AM »
I've worked with a few frazzed out Mexis and yes, their hair responds well to flat ironing. I super hydrated mine with oils and conditioners both before and after treating and they look about 80 percent...not perfect, but not frazzed anymore either!

Offline MiRaja

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 05:07:10 AM »
Well, right now she's beheaded and has been laying on my bathroom counter where she has been since the 25th.  I didn't take any photos when I got her, and her listing photos aren't accurate.  None of the bad scuffs, scraped or in-ground dirt in them were shown, the tail rust for that matter.  The hair also looked a lot better ( and cleaner ) in the photos.  But hey, Nirvana w/ shipping for just under $30.  Not going to complain, but it's a lot of work.

Also!  I've noticed that there are apparently variants of these?  Mine has pink eyes!  And they're kind of airbrush-y like Greeks / Italians, and I've seen others that have BLUE(or light purplish) eyes that look more like US ponies. 

And thanks for the notes about hot ironing, that's good to hear!

Offline hilamb

• Myrskyisä yö poni
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 06:23:13 PM »
Im just gonna sit here and sip tea and wait for pics.  :bateyes:

That sounds like an awsome deal! Congrats.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you valerie :heart:

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 08:28:52 PM »
The poor Mexican ponies are often very well loved, but as other have said they do clean up very well and that hair responds to conditioning and heat treatment.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 04:29:24 AM »
Steam the hair with a hand held steam cleaner. You can get them at wallmart

Offline MiRaja

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 05:08:13 AM »
I don't really have the money (nor the room) for buying a steam cleaner for a pony. . . 

I guess it will be a hot iron and a wet dish cloth for me.

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 11:38:43 AM »
Boiling water works well on their hair, too. Dunk the hair for a few seconds and pass a fine toothed comb through it while it's still hot. You may be able to do it section by section for better results :) then lay it on a cloth with the hair stretched out like it's blowing in a strong wind. Let it cool and dry, then condition again and if you want to try reboiling or flat ironing you can go from there :)
I got a lot of the gunk out of my Mexi Bluebelle with whitening toothpaste and a toothbrush. It's really easy and thankfully works extremely well. Just rinse the rusted parts well and especially the if you use it on rusty hair condition well afterward...it can really dry it out if you don't.

Offline MiRaja

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 01:06:46 PM »
I will try that!  I have yet to find my hot iron since I moved back in March, not that I need it for me.  I've been wearing an Audrey for about five years, but I use it for pony hair and pressing small silk pieces, like doll clothes, and then the collars I change out for my kimono ensembles.  Works amazingly, let me tell you!

But I was lucky with my Moondust, she was grubby outside, but she was pretty clean inside even with the rust.  Just a light film.  On my one alt-rehair, Queen Fluff, she was disgusting now.. . .  Just, ugh. . .  I use soap, toothbrush and cream of tartar to clean out innards.  It also brightens the hair, which is good for pale haired ponies. 

Post Merge: December 30, 2013, 04:38:52 PM

Oh my gods. 

I have never tried the boil method.

I believe it will be the only method I ever use now versus the hot iron.

That is all. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 04:38:52 PM by MiRaja »

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 10:36:46 PM »
I'm excited to see how they turn out :D

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline MiRaja

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 05:06:26 AM »
Well, I managed to get the washer/clamp off by abusing it with a grommet gun until it broke.  ^^ 

Just waiting for everything to dry now! 

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 03:07:53 AM »
Well, I managed to get the washer/clamp off by abusing it with a grommet gun until it broke.  ^^ 

Just waiting for everything to dry now! 

I use my brother [ec HGV/lorry mechanic and a set of pliers] - if he can hand wrench on a tyre on an articulated lorry he can get a clamp off a pony tail :P Fair enough not a method everyone has to hand but the only way I have beaten a couple of rusted on clamps over the years!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline MiRaja

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 07:08:49 AM »
Oh, I can get normal tail clamps off with no problem!  I use a flat head screw driver and a little elbow grease and it works everytime.  However, the Mexicans, as far as I know have an all in one clamp, and it was like a long cylindrical tube that flared out to rest against the inside bum.  There was also some string.  But yeah, it was royal havoc to get that off!

But she is SO pretty!  I have taken photos, but they are still on my camera and I'm just so insanely busy that I do not feel in the mood to go onto Flickr.

BUT OMG FIRST DAY OFF IN TWO WEEKS!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal