collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is anyone else really bored with G4?  (Read 9779 times)

Offline EmBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone else really bored with G4?
« Reply #105 on: December 26, 2013, 09:18:36 AM »
One of the main reasons why we keep seeing the same ponies is because they are the stars of the TV show.  Although Hasbro has finally branched out and included some side characters (though most are not brushables), we aren't seeing enough newcomers on the show to warrant a full wave of different ponies.  If they would just introduce more ponies like they did on the show in the 80s it would be great.  New groups of pegs, unicorns, etc. coming to town... sigh.

-Em
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

WrittenEmber

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #106 on: December 26, 2013, 10:55:24 AM »
I adore the little blind bag minifigures, so I am thrilled with that part of the line. So many ponies! And although it's true that most of them are made from the same handful of molds, there are unique molds too, and that adds a bit of variety and helps break things up.

When it comes to brushables, I came late to the game and missed out on pretty much all of the unique singles. I've only ever seen Mane 6 singles in any of the stores in my area, and haven't really felt compelled to pick them up. Eventually I will put together a set of the Mane 6, but there's no hurry since they are so omnipresent. If I saw something remarkably different or unique, I would snap that up. (I'm thinking of getting a Glitter Wisteria from Target, and maybe her Glitter Pinkie pal, just because they are the only glitter brushables I've seen and thus more interesting than the rest of the ponies on offer.)

The thing I like about lots of unique ponies is that they come, they go, and you get some and some you don't get and it makes it exciting and fun. When it's just the same few over and over, well, you know you can have them all without any real difficulty, and so can everyone else so nobody's going to want to trade. So you get them and then you're done. You have them. No more hopefully perusing the toy aisle, no more trades, no more thrill of finding a pony and feeling so lucky and proud to have tracked it down... (Luckily I'm super into the blind bags and thus still get to do all of these things with them.)

Plus, I like to buy and re-sell ponies to make a bit of profit to balance out what I spend on the ponies in my personal collection, and when nothing is hard to find and nobody particularly wants what's coming out, well... :(

Still, I would not say that I'm bored. I'd just like to see more new ponies (singles, not sets). Not only for my own personal interest, but for the health of the brand, as well.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 10:57:30 AM by WrittenEmber »

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #107 on: December 26, 2013, 11:14:52 PM »
 Anymore it seems like the only brushables stores have are the masquerade ones (to think: about 5 months ago I couldn't get ahold of the Sunset Shimmer one. Now she's all over the place), and the gimmick sets. Plus copious amounts of wave 7 and 8 BB's. I've only seen the rainbow power ones at Target (and they were on display near the cash registers :blink: ). Guess I'm glad I got a few of those other brushables when they came out.

I still haven't bought any EqG dolls because I still don't like how their heads look. They're too tall and the pony ears I could do without (maybe Funko will do show accurate ones soon).  Speaking of the Funkos: I'm almost caught up. I need Pinkie, Vinyl, and Bon Bon now. The Celestia they're working on could be pretty good (though they better do Luna right afterwards).

With all of the new blind bag sets coming out (still looking for the Chrysalis one), I haven't gotten too bored yet. I do agree there should be a little more variety, including male brushables. And definitely use a different mold because to me the Shining Armor one looks kind of weird. I guess time will tell.

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2013, 02:22:53 AM »
One of the main reasons why we keep seeing the same ponies is because they are the stars of the TV show.  Although Hasbro has finally branched out and included some side characters (though most are not brushables), we aren't seeing enough newcomers on the show to warrant a full wave of different ponies.  If they would just introduce more ponies like they did on the show in the 80s it would be great.  New groups of pegs, unicorns, etc. coming to town... sigh.

-Em
Actually I believe at some point someone mentioned Hasbro mostly releasing main 6 mostly for those who are just now becoming new customers, which while makes sense, without some new blood they are losing a larger buying base of existing customers.. I'm sure if they actually made a new wave with new characters those characters would probably fly off the shelves faster than boring 6
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

CottonTALE

« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2013, 02:42:58 AM »
I am starting to get bored with the G4 line too. Although I get excited with releases of Fluttershy, I really want some new brushables. After all, that is what made the brand in the first place! I don't care if they are in the same pose, it is just a matter of painting on a new symbol and a different assortment of hair. Heck, they could re-use their copyrights on their blind-bag figures to make new brushables.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2013, 02:49:37 AM »

-Em
Actually I believe at some point someone mentioned Hasbro mostly releasing main 6 mostly for those who are just now becoming new customers, which while makes sense, without some new blood they are losing a larger buying base of existing customers.. I'm sure if they actually made a new wave with new characters those characters would probably fly off the shelves faster than boring 6
That's why it would make sense to release the Main 6 as a part of a larger wave.  That way new fans can find the stars, but there would be other ponies for those who already have the Mane 6.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Online Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2013, 03:07:22 AM »
Funko is the only thing keeping my G4 attention these days.
Agreed <3

Man after my own <3! haha, brother from another mother.
Haha wow that's weird I was going to say brother from another mother in another post of yours! I seriously cannot wait any longer for new prototypes..... The darn minis slowed them down :(

For Sale Wants

Offline starflyer425

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2013, 04:47:03 AM »
i love g4, and i still do. but... you were doing so well hasbro. come on, i want another NEW pony! something like feathermay, or flitterheart, or snowcatcher... NOT MORE PINKIES. i dont need that many mane 6 ponies, its beginning to look like the changelings have invaded my shelf.

its really simple to understand, and they've done it in the past so i dont know why there stopping. kids dont LIKE repeats. because that's what they are, repetitive. you cant play or make a story with this, it get boring after a while, and i know.

just take, i dont know, rainbow dash. change the body color to light green or something. give her magenta hair. maybe a pink streak in there, you have plenty of pink nylon. put a symbol on. a cat, or a beach ball, or... anything, really.

BAM. you have a new horse that people will enjoy adding to their shelf.

end of rant. :rant:

Avatar credit to BotchanMLP on DeviantArt, and the Starflyer equestria girl is by LordBlumiere here on the arena!

Offline Baby_Ponies2014

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • Hear now the words of the Great Mother, who of...
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2013, 05:00:17 AM »
It almost hurts me to say this, but, g4 has me bored beyond repair :(
I seriously don't even care if they put out new charcters, I just wanna grab my fashion style ponies and run on my merry way to g5!
There is always another rainbow, somewhere 'round the bend

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Grumpy Nesmith should be the next meme.
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
« Reply #114 on: December 27, 2013, 05:03:31 AM »
I actually packed mine all away accept DewDrop Dazzle and my fashion style Rarity. I just decided one day, it is worth collecting them anymore. I am focusing back on G1.

My Etsy store for vintage and kitsch items.

G4Sweeties

« Reply #115 on: December 28, 2013, 12:41:40 PM »
I know.. It's sad really. I wish that they would be a little more creative with them..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2013, 06:32:40 AM »
You know, I didn't like G4 when they started, but the cartoon made me lighten up because the first season was so great. However, the G4 toys have always been too expensive. I picked up three for customizing, and the glow-in-the-dark Zecora, and the glitter blind bags. But since then, there's just been nothing. It's all repeated, rehashed, etc. I also am not a fan of the humanesque PonyBratz thing they did. I feel like that's where they're trying to move their market, and I don't want any part of it. I too wish they could do something original, creative, and not charge us more money for a cheaper, smaller product.

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2014, 08:09:35 AM »
I've been bored of it since about 2 weeks in to be honest.

Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline anthologia

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • a collection : gathering flowers
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2014, 06:49:45 AM »
Bored here, too. I like the blind bags and still buy some of them, but the last new single release was what, Wysteria?

Offline CupcakeLoverXx

• Colorswirl Pony
  • Pony Lover since 2012!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2014, 07:09:08 AM »
Outside of exclusives,I think the only new pony that was released in 2013 was Sunset Shimmer! That's pathetic!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal