collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is anyone else really bored with G4?  (Read 9892 times)

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone else really bored with G4?
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2013, 04:53:48 AM »
I mainly buy the g4 line for my daughters. The Funko ponies I buy for myself because at least they have new characters each release.

I seriously have just stopped buying ponies for my daughters. Every time I go down the pony aisle at any store it is exactly the same characters...Rarity, AJ, Pinkie Pie, Twilight and maybe Fluttershy. I do not buy the exact same toys with just different accessories...in fact this crystal empire sets I did not buy any of them because it was the same 7 ponies just now with tinsel! ohhh such a big change! It just meant that I would just add another one of the same old same old to their collections...

The Midnight at Canterlot I did not buy for them even because they already had all the same ponies in that set. I did get the FiM Collectors set because...oh my goodness...new characters!
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline alkevin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2013, 04:55:55 AM »
That´s a good thing that our stores receive much later. Just this Christmas we received the pack with Celestia&pinkie pie, Luna & Rarity. And On Friday I saw Sunset Shimmer. I´m bored with this line because is always the same mane 6. And when they put new ones is always in a pack. Dam it Hasbro. So many characters to choose. That is why I love the mini Funko, but why are their bodies black?

Offline Deep Purple Crystal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • "Jewels! Jewels in your eyes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2013, 05:05:56 AM »
This is really firing up now. People everywhere are starting petitions to make more characters and more. I'm personally tired of weird giant robot toys that blink and say 'I'm a princess! Because I'm one PLEASE buy me!' I guess that because the bronies are their new focus, the bronies don't care about a pony doll with nice brushable hair. And even the bronies are fed up!

I fear this will lead to another 'core 7' like the end of G3.

I also don't mind princesses, just as long as we get different ones and NOT THE SAME FOUR OVER AGAIN.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to LordBlumiere and Corona for the amazing Masquerade and Baby Sugarcake in my sig!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2013, 05:46:17 AM »
I fear this will lead to another 'core 7' like the end of G3.
You talk like this hasn't happened already.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2013, 05:56:57 AM »
Funko is the only thing keeping my G4 attention these days.
Agreed <3

For Sale Wants

Offline sleepyowl

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2013, 06:46:46 AM »
I'm so bored of it, to be honest. I'm not really into molded ponies, so the lack of new different brushables is a bummer. I've still been buying some of what they've been putting out, but there's nothing I'm excited to go get. MLP isn't my toy priority anymore. It doesn't help that it seems like the quality is really going downhill as well, with the dry frizzy tails and wonky eyes.

cleverLC

« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2013, 06:50:39 AM »
There are a few things I want, but it seems like every time I go there's waaay too many of the mane 6, and no room for the other ponies.

Offline Dashy77

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2013, 06:55:35 AM »
Funko is the only thing keeping my G4 attention these days.
Agreed <3

Man after my own <3! haha, brother from another mother.

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2013, 07:17:54 AM »
I feel like the toyline could also be improved if the merchandisers actually watched the FiM show. It's weird that they would put so much effort into fleshing out these unique characters and then when they make toys of them they all have this bland generic personality that is condensed into one sentence and their accessories are all fashion items (not referring to the hairbrushes, though a lot of brushable toys don't come with those now either!). Not that there's anything wrong with loving fashion but that's Rarity's thing and yet, oddly, she seems to get left out of it! This is worst with the talking toys (Pinkie Pie aside). It's like if all Woody toys said "LOOK AT MY HAT, AIN'T IT GREAT? I'M A COWBOY TEEHEE" instead of his lines from the film(s). It defeats the purpose of the toy if it doesn't even try to reflect the character it's portraying.

Don't get me started on the EqG dolls having this same-face uncanny valley thing going on and that they all have the same body shape, even Celestia! And what is with the QC lately? Did they fire their entire quality team or something? I've never seen a single EqG doll that hasn't had some glaring flaw in some way (usually covered in glue or missing a lot of paint, and a lot have scars all over their joints) and lately the majority of ponies on shelves have had major issues or are filthy even in the box. New toys shouldn't be dirty!
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2013, 07:39:14 AM »
(Meanwhile Hasbro is making a dozen new figures for Transformer fans based on random (also awesome) background IDW comic book characters)

/end-rant

:sad:

The reason for this crap is that they think male fans buy more merchandise and figures than female fans and Transformers is still kinda male-dominated (even though there was an explosion of female fans during the last few years). They don't seem to acknowledge that female 'nerds' take collecting and fandom just as serious as male ones. Case in point: they started catering to Bronies even though Bronies only make up a part of all MLP fans. But Bronies to them are "adult male fans of MLP" and being male automatically catapults them into the "power buyer" category. What did the regular fans of MLP get before the Bronies? A SDCC exclusive and that was that.
And just to be perfectly clear, I'm not bashing Bronies and I don't intend to start a Brony discussion. I'm bashing Hasbro and their third party sellers for treating the other MLP fans as lesser consumers.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2013, 07:57:15 AM »
Yeah I'm bored with the toys but I still watch the show.  It's really rare that I get a G4.  If they made other ponies besides the mane 6 I might be more interested.  Yeah, Hasbro still aims their MLP stuff for little girls but even little girls must get bored of seeing the same 6 ponies each new release.

I'm also not a fan of blind bags.  Hasbro makes so many blind bags that aren't mane 6 and I don't understand why they don't make them into actual brushables.  >_<
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 07:58:56 AM by Majesty »

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2013, 08:40:59 AM »
I feel like the toyline could also be improved if the merchandisers actually watched the FiM show. It's weird that they would put so much effort into fleshing out these unique characters and then when they make toys of them they all have this bland generic personality that is condensed into one sentence and their accessories are all fashion items (not referring to the hairbrushes, though a lot of brushable toys don't come with those now either!). Not that there's anything wrong with loving fashion but that's Rarity's thing and yet, oddly, she seems to get left out of it! This is worst with the talking toys (Pinkie Pie aside). It's like if all Woody toys said "LOOK AT MY HAT, AIN'T IT GREAT? I'M A COWBOY TEEHEE" instead of his lines from the film(s). It defeats the purpose of the toy if it doesn't even try to reflect the character it's portraying.

Don't get me started on the EqG dolls having this same-face uncanny valley thing going on and that they all have the same body shape, even Celestia! And what is with the QC lately? Did they fire their entire quality team or something? I've never seen a single EqG doll that hasn't had some glaring flaw in some way (usually covered in glue or missing a lot of paint, and a lot have scars all over their joints) and lately the majority of ponies on shelves have had major issues or are filthy even in the box. New toys shouldn't be dirty!

I don't care about show accuracy myself. The way people scream "this character wouldn't wear/do that thing, so that toy is stupid!" seems very limiting to me. In fact, i feel the show limits the toyline in general.
The reason we are stuck with about 6 characters is because those are the main characters. If the show helps to sell those well enough why would Hasbro bother making other characters?

I actually wish the toyline would move away from the show...
Have Hasbro create new characters and new designs that are not necessarily linked to it, just like back in 2010/2011. It's not like the show has been that marvelous when it comes to pony designs anyways. Simple /recycled cutie marks and a lack of multicolored manes and all that.(That's why i like the Equestria Girls line. It kinda does its own thing for now. Including crazy rainbow colored rock outfits!)

About those talking ponies...they don't seem to do well over here but i blame their high prices. I have to admit though, those Nightmare Moon phrases are too funny for me to get angry about it. Who doesn't want an evil moon pony that talks about her pretty barrettes?

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2013, 08:58:52 AM »
I don't care about show accuracy myself. The way people scream "this character wouldn't wear/do that thing, so that toy is stupid!" seems very limiting to me. In fact, i feel the show limits the toyline in general.
The reason we are stuck with about 6 characters is because those are the main characters. If the show helps to sell those well enough why would Hasbro bother making other characters?

Have Hasbro create new characters and new designs that are not necessarily linked to it, just like back in 2010/2011. It's not like the show has been that marvelous when it comes to pony designs anyways. Simple /recycled cutie marks and a lack of multicolored manes and all that.(That's why i like the Equestria Girls line. It kinda does its own thing for now. Including crazy rainbow colored rock outfits!)
Agreed :P
The MLP:FiM show is the death of the G4 line... (and its fanbase isn't helping  :hmm: )
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2013, 08:59:17 AM »
I'm bored with the show and some of the toys.  The molded figure sets are the only things keeping my attention right now.

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2013, 09:09:20 AM »

About those talking ponies...they don't seem to do well over here but i blame their high prices. I have to admit though, those Nightmare Moon phrases are too funny for me to get angry about it. Who doesn't want an evil moon pony that talks about her pretty barrettes?

I don't mind the hair length thing (I love being able to toy with their manes and give them different hair styles) but they come with accessories that just aren't very inspiring for play or display. AJ has only come with her hat in what, one of her releases? None of them have ever been released in an outfit they have worn in the show (I can't be the only one who would love to deck her ponies out in their Grand Galloping Gala outfits!). Why not release Rainbow Dash with her whistle and goggles? Or books and a telescope with Twilight? Why was Rarity released with a scooter and not Scootaloo? That's the kinda thing I mean. Though it boggles my mind the brushies that are released without a brush or comb 0_o if that's a kid's first brushie, Hasbro, what are they gonna brush their hair with?  :cry: There's all this potential for them to tie stuff into the show and they just waste it by giving them random cheap-looking dresses and purses (though the dress on my Luna FS is very, very pretty, must admit. Cadence's is so ugly though >.<), etc.

Oooh I've not seen the NMM one, must admit, but as well as expensive I find those toys kinda...creepy? That huge TS thing moves in the most terrifying way ._. her eyes are always watching, always staring...And I agree the price is likely the problem - they're constantly on sale here and even then they're expensive, about the same price as a couple of DVDs and a kid is likely to get more entertainment out of DVDs (especially if they like to watch the same one over and over and over like my sisters did!)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:14:29 AM by CupidStrikes »
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal