collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So Who Else Reads Comics?  (Read 943 times)

Offline LadySiha

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I'll meet you across the sea...
    • View Profile
So Who Else Reads Comics?
« on: December 04, 2013, 12:17:05 AM »
I wasn't really into comics until I started working in a comic book store.  I'd started reading manga when I was 12, and didn't get into American comics until I was 18 or 19.

My favorite comic series, to date (Japanese and American) are: Sailor Moon and Tramps like Us (manga), Sandman, Watchmen, Gears of War (after Karen Traviss took over writing) and the Adventure Time with Fionna and Cake mini

Currently, I'm reading: Demon Love Spell and Happy Marriage?! (manga), the new Sandman mini, the Adventure Time Minis, Regular Show, Mass Effect Foundations, and the IDW My Little Pony comics.

I also have a history with the New 52 Batgirl and Catwoman (so good but I got so behind on them!) and Witchblade.

What about you guys?  Are you into it?  When and what did you start reading?  Anything you're looking forward to that's coming out soon?

ashlite

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: So Who Else Reads Comics?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 12:26:39 AM »
I've been reading comics since I was about 15. I don't follow too many series right now consistently because its gets to be a little costly. I've read a lot of different Wolverine story arcs and some X-Men. I love and continue to follow the Fables series. I read a lot of of Walking Dead (I've been trying to sell those trade paperbacks) and I absolutely LOVE everything Neil Gaiman writes. That man is brilliant. I love Harley comics and the other girls from the DC universe and I've always read quite a bit of Batman. Oh and Deadpool! He's great!

I was never into Superman though, the only book I read of his was Red Sun, which is pretty cool. I really dabble in a little bit of everything. :)

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 12:27:46 AM »
Lucky you! I think working at a comic book store would be so much fun, though I'm pretty sure my check would suffer for it lol.

When I was a kid I didn't think that I paid much attention to comics, but when I moved out I found I had a complete set of Gundam Wing, Pokemon, and Sailor Moon in their comic forms, instead of in their manga forms, and I think I started reading them around 11 or 12.

From there I never was too much in to comics until just recently, when I started reading the Dragon Age and Assassin's Creed comics, though they were both pretty short. I also stalked my local comic book store every month to get my hands on the Gears of War comics on release day lol. I loved the games, I couldn't read through the novels fast enough, and the comics were just the icing on the cake (it is awesome to hear that you read them too :D  ) I was really hoping that they would do another GoW series after Judgement released. And of course I've been reading the MLP comics, and am currently really looking forward to the Luna issue that is coming out. I read a lot of manga too with .hack and anything by Clamp being pretty high up there on the favorites list.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 01:15:12 AM »
I like manga -- and I definitely prefer it over anime -- but I'm not a fan of American comics. ^^;

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 02:24:56 AM »
On and off^^

Usually its just sonic the hedgehog though :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline ember86

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • A very picky little pony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 02:43:09 AM »
I've been reading the New 54 Batgirl, Birds of Pry, Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Justice League, Teen Titians, and Swords of Sorcery.     
  Thank you Scraleos for my sig! Thank you MLPmintchocolatechip for my a avatar  Have a very pony day [you]
My etsy shop

Offline TinyShinyUnique

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • UniqueSubtleTreasures
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 02:55:48 AM »
me me me!

Sorry, I'm a huge nerd when it comes to comics :blush: I grew up reading X-men, Batman and The New Teen Titans and I still love to read DC and Marvel comics about my favorite superheroes. I'm mostly a vintage girl so I like the comics up from the half of the silver age up until the modern ones in 2000. Past that I only read occasionally and usually only about my favorites, as I get far way too stressed about some characters, but I've been following almost all Bat-family related comics, Superboy, Teen Titans & Young Justice and from the Marvel line X-Men and X-factor (such a great comic, especially now!) With few exceptions I cannot stand the new universe DC created (past Flashpoint) and I cannot get into most Marvel stories since 'No more mutants' Era and I haven't got time recently to read :cloud:

I also have a weak spot when it comes to Russel Craig, Niel Gaiman's Sandman series, some story arcs in Watchmen, Witchblade and Archie comics ;)

When it comes to manga, it always had been a huge part in my life - I grew up on Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball, went through the most scanlations offered till 2005 and when manga became crazily-popular, I got into shonen-ai genre. I used to read everything - especially on mangafox and online readers and buy manga when it got published in Poland. I 'grew up' from it. Nowadays I don't read anymore, or follow any titles that are published atm, but I can list some of my all-time favorites: Mars, almost anything by Clamp, FMA, Hana Kimi, Fruits Basket, Hikaru no Go.

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 12:12:09 PM »
I've read some of my parents old Archie comics (actual comic form, not the booklets you get in the stores now). Right now I just read the MLP ones, that's all I've really been interested in.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline iluvponiez

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 12:16:47 PM »
Don't get me started on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure unless you want to be here all day.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 12:30:13 PM »
Me me me! I love comics ^_^ I have a hard time keeping up with current releases - I usually wait for the trades. The only series I've read really thoroughly is Hellblazer, and I kept up with the short run of new Zatanna comics. Now that Hellblazer is done for, I suppose I should read Constantine, but I'm a little worried of the gentrification of John Constantine.

Those are my regulars but I read a bit of everything. I'm primarily a DC girl.

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 12:50:50 PM »
I love love LOVE comics! I'm mainly a DC gal. I collect every run of Green Arrow (my favorite male super hero) and Black Canary (my favorite female super hero)/Birds of Prey. I also read Teen Titans, Sonic the Hedgehog, Amethyst, Nightwing and a handful of New 52 stuff. I haven't been keeping up with the New 52 because I had fallen so far behind when I lost my job two years ago so I catch up as much as I can by getting a bunch from the 50 cent and dollar bins at C2E2 (local comic/entertainment convention). My fiance enjoys reading the Magic the Gathering comics. I have a soft spot for Gail Simone and Kyle Higgins (who happens to be a fan of my father! :blush:)! They are my favorite writers!
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 01:46:11 PM »
I adore manga!  I'm in the middle of waaaaaayy too many series right now.  I have a rather nasty habit of just starting a new series when the bookstore doesn't have the volume I need of a series I actually am reading.  Right now I'm reading Fullmetal Alchemist, Soul Eater, Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle, Fruits Basket, Rurouni Kenshin, and I think that's it.  I feel like I'll never actually finish a single one of these!  I should probably drop a few, but I really like all of them.  I'm current on the Legend of Zelda manga, finished with Clover, and finished with Magic Knight Rayearth.  I really, really like CLAMP, mostly because their character designs are so pretty.

For American comics, the only ones I am really reading right now are the My Little Pony ones, although I want to start the Adventure Time ones, too.  And the Avatar the Last Airbender ones look really good, too.  I just need to track some down.

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 02:03:41 PM »
I used to read manga in high school, but even then I never really got overly into it. I sold off most of them, though I do still have a couple short series that I've kept for nostalgic reasons. Weirdly enough, despite not having looked at a manga in years (and I have never even read one online), a few nights ago I found some online scans for a story called Pochamani that I can't seem to turn away from. Even as I'm reading I think to myself how odd the humor is, yet it's one little series I'm happy to continue reading for now.

Nowadays the only comic series I follow is IDW's Ninja Turtles, though I'm getting more and more into collecting older turtle comics as well. LOVE them and only wish I had started reading them sooner XD

craftEcowgirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 02:12:15 PM »
I read My Little Pony comics and also The Walking Dead series, though we buy the hardback series of TWD.   

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »
Me!

All of Neil Gaiman's Graphic novels, and the Lucifer spin off.
ALL of Warren Ellis' books.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal