collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tips on taking close-up pictures of jewelry?  (Read 305 times)

Offline TinyShinyUnique

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • UniqueSubtleTreasures
Tips on taking close-up pictures of jewelry?
« on: November 30, 2013, 08:11:41 PM »
I'm making from time to time jewelry and finally made the decision to try selling online in an etsy shop instead of a direct contact or advertising to friends and acquaintances. The thing is, each time I try to take pictures, I'm not satisfied with them. I've tried different angles, lightning, backgrounds and I think I got better in time, but still I think there is a lot to learn. The problem is I don't know where to start :cloud:

Can someone point me in the direction of some online resources that might help me out? I'm a total noob when it comes to cameras, so maybe my camera isn't suited to take good quality pictures? Are there any camera settings I should avoid when taking pictures? Or maybe you know some basic rules I should stick to? :blush: The only rule I know is to not take pictures with the lenses directed at the source of light.

This is how I used to take pictures (not edited):
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

And this is how I took them recently:

I try experimenting with composition and backgrounds, but I'm not sure if they work in my favor or they distract from the piece I'm offering. Getting the whole thing to look sharp with a zoom is quite hard too, but I suppose it's more the camera fault than the lack of my skill... Or am I wrong? I also use GIMP to later adjust the pictures, but I cannot shake off the feeling that they sometimes look very 'pixelated', grainy - it's hard to explain it in English for me, :huh: but maybe this picture will show you what I mean:

I know there are few etsy sellers here and I know many people take awesome close-up pictures of their ponies too, so I wondered if anyone could give me a nudge in the right direction. I would truly appreciate it.

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
Re: Tips on taking close-up pictures of jewelry?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 01:02:32 AM »
I like the one on the sparkley background. I'm a novice at pics too though. I took some last year for my jewellery but had to edit the pics after to make the white background stand out. Took a lot of work.
I made a post last year so some of the info might be helpful?
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,294280.msg167042.html#msg167042

Are you using the macro setting on your camera? it's a little flower, it makes small things clearer.

wyndstar

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 02:04:01 AM »
i actually really like your first pic.
you definitely need a clean white background if you're going to do white. the pic with the red earrings isn't good because the eye gets distracted by the dirty smudges on the background.
you have to be careful where the focus is in the pic. the one with the sparkly background is neat.. but the focus is on the back flower, and the front part with the embellishment is out of focus (blurry). that's probably the part you wanted to showcase.
i actually take my pics with my galaxy s3 because it took nicer pics than my digital camera (lol!!) i can tap on the screen where i want the focus on. and i can get up really close with it. i use an all white background (tissue paper) and have a lamp overhead.

i like having the focus on the front and have it "fade out" and get blurry in the background. but there are people who would prefer the entire picture is in focus so you just have to play around and see what works for you and what you like.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 03:23:19 AM »
Id try a black background and if you can find them, get a stand for bracelets, a bodice for necklaces and an earring rack.  It should help :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline LeighAnnApanites

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • "...there is too much, let me sum up."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 11:55:09 PM »
I have no photo advice, I'm struggling with it myself, but I just wanted to say that your jewelry is really beautiful. I'd love to know when you get your etsy set up.  :)

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 12:10:55 AM »

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 12:30:38 AM »
I would not cross the earrings over each other.  They get confusing. Do you have a dummy head or something that will hold them as they would hang?

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 02:06:12 PM »
Looks like you've gotten some good suggestions! I wish you luck!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Thrice

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I drop science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 05:07:06 PM »
I don't really have much advice; I've made jewelry before but never photographed it. I'd avoid washed out off-white backgrounds like you've got in your second pic; it detracts from the color of the piece. Clean, bright white backgrounds tend to sell better, I think. I also agree with the comment about having a mannequin bust or something to display necklaces (but nothing with facial features...eep!) Hope that helps. :)

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 05:13:35 PM »
The best photos I've done were actually scanned! I put my jewellery in my flatbed scanner and away I go! If it's a bulky item, I have thick black fabric I place over the top of the scanner to stop light getting in under the lid :)

Offline TinyShinyUnique

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • UniqueSubtleTreasures
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 03:06:31 AM »
Thank you everyone for the advice! I've wrote down some suggestions and bookmarked the links provided, so hopefully I will learn from those :)

I appreciate the comments on the backgrounds - I also like to work with a plain white background if possible, I'm not too good with artistic composition so minimalism suits me best -the first picture was taken with my old camera which had a great zooming and macro options, so the pictures weren't as grainy or out of focus in wrong places. You are right with suggesting to be careful with the focusing and picking the lightning better, so the piece is well lit.

Also thank you for the bust or stand for various types of jewelry tip! I've often had seen people using those, but never thought about buying them myself - it sounds like an awesome idea (and such a simple one!)

kezrob23 - that is an interesting idea! Sadly my scanner broke some time ago and we hadn't got the time to take it to a service center to fix it up :cloud: But when it'll be working again, I'll try your idea too!

I really appreciate all feedback and suggestions :) Real life has been keeping from making jewelry recently, but I'll be sure to brag when I manage to get my photographing skills better and when I'll set up my etsy store :) Thank you! :hug:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal