collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Common Name Woes  (Read 3467 times)

polar

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Common Name Woes
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2013, 09:42:12 AM »
I have a different problem. A slightly common/uncommon name that can be spelled a hundred different ways. Always turns out to be the wrong way though. Whenever I meet someone with my name we high five, especially if the spelling is "right" :P It can also be pronounced in a hundred different ways. I've gotten to the point where I don't correct people anymore. As long as I know when I'm being called or mentioned. Too much of a headache the other way around.

Offline emery

• Dr. Quinn, Medicine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+488)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • emery's emporium - My Little Ponies & other toys for sale
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2013, 01:21:16 AM »
I have a VERY uncommon name (Branduin). I go by Brandy to make things easier since no one has ever heard of Branduin. But wouldn't you know it my very best friend since we were 10 years old is named Brandy and then I married a Brandon ;)
I've never told you before, but I really do like your name. It is so unique! Does it have an origin somewhere or just parent made up?

Thanks! :) It's actually one my parents got from a short sci-fi story called "Tin Soldier" by Joan D Vinge. Branduin in the story is a space traveler and she always stops at this one planet and has a glass of brandy with the bartender at the Tin Solder. It's kind of the opposite story of that song Brandy by the Looking Glass. I think there is also a river or something to do with Lord of the Rings which is called the Branduin (shortened from Brandywine?) but that's not where my parents got it.

I forgot to mention that my best friend and I both married men who have last names starting with W so we are both now Brandy W.!
My Little Ponies and other toys for sale on....
Facebook @EmerysVintageEmporium
Instagram @emerys_emporium

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2013, 01:24:38 AM »
I feel your pain-  I have one of the most common names that there is (and yes it was mentioned here already)

There are two TWO other people at my relatively small sized office who share my name.

There is no good way to cope-  one of the assistants who does a lot of random projects shares my name and is always getting paged overhead-  but of course they frequently forget to say the first letter of the last name- so I am always calling reception to find out why they are paging me.   :(

Offline sparkykandy

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2013, 02:39:54 AM »
I have a fairly common first name which I hate.  My mom once told me that I nearly was going to be named Danielle, but one of my parents thought it sounded too masculine for a girl.  I do wish that they named me that instead.
Admin of a Cheritz fan forum.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2013, 02:56:52 AM »

ohh, and sara/Sarah, i know about 5 of them! :D

Hee, I'm one of those Sarahs!

...and when I was a little kid I really hated my name.
It was when I got into Kindergarten and met so many other Sara(h)s that I no longer felt unique (haha, I wish I could have my childhood "problems" back).
I tried to pressure my parents into re-naming me Jasmin (the German equivalent to Jasmine) because I was in love with Princess Jasmine from Disney's Aladdin and her name was perfection to me. It didn't work out  :lol:

Nowadays I have no problems with my first name anymore. My second one is not that common in my age group but it doesn't fit my last name OR personality, as it is way too soft ;)

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2013, 11:15:52 PM »
My last name is school was pretty uncommon so at least I was never one of two Jessica XXXX at the school.  My married name is really common though so I keep having people confuse me for Jessica XXX or ask me if I'm realated to the XXX from Lowel or whatever LOL  Um no... my husband might be though.

We named our daughter a really uncommon name because both my husband and I have common names and we didn't want her to have to deal with the irritation of it.  I hope she doesn't end up regretting her uncommon name but if she does we gave her a pretty normal middle name just in case.

Edited to Add:

The thing that really kills me is that my dad wanted to name me Scout from To Kill a Mockingbird which I think would have been the best name ever.  Ugh, if only! 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 11:17:48 PM by brighteyes »
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline Roccoriel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2013, 12:01:31 AM »
I never knew anyone with my full name (Margaret) who was my age until recently- and now I know 4 or 5!  Because Margaret is an "older" name, and I go by Meg, people would just assume my name was Megan and call me that, which is much more common in my age group.  So, basically, I've been called something that isn't my name for most of my life. >.<

Edit:  Also, I had an easy to spell and pronounce last name until I got married, and now I have a last name that is French, so no one can spell it or say it.  People in my own family have trouble spelling it (thank goodness they can say it though!)  :P
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 12:04:49 AM by Roccoriel »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2013, 03:12:53 AM »
My first name is really common in my home country and it' just the south-slavic version of Joanna, and sounds quite similar to Icelandic Jóhanna, which is VERY common here, so at any given time, there will always be a few of us with essentially the same name, just different versions of it.
However, my surname is very uncommon both in my home country and my adopted country. It's a Jewish surname with Serbian spelling and I think I can safely say I am the only person in the world with this exact name (spelling and all), so I'm quite fine with that :)
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

nollilols

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2013, 03:30:09 AM »
I have the opposite problem, uncommon (and pretty stupid) first name. It's the Irish for Christmas/December, and also the Irish version of the names Noel or Noelle (in Irish it's gender-independant).

Interesting note for the OP - Jessica is a very uncommon name in Ireland, and I've never actually met a Jessica or Jess in my life - just one girl whose name was probably Jessica but insisted on being called Jessie.

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2013, 11:42:41 AM »
Sister had a male friend whose last name is the same as her first.  That would have been cool if they married.
Daughter as a toddle thought her last name was XXXX-x-x-x-x.  'Cause hubby and I generally say it then spell it.  Mouse figured it was all part of it.
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Bren41882

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2013, 01:20:42 PM »
My name is Brenda I had 2 other students in my class with my name. One of them still is one of my best friends we get called the 2 Brendas lol I was never crazy about my name never minded it either *shrugs*

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2013, 02:31:09 PM »
My name didn't become popular until I was a teenager (Ashley).  In fact when my parents named me (this was the late 70s), many of their friends told them it was an odd choice.  And lo and behold in the 90s it boomed in popularity.  I never had anyone with my same name in any of my classes until I was in college.  So most of the people I've met with my same name have been a good decade or more younger than me.

Still, I do like my name.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline silverdragon54

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2013, 05:04:19 PM »
My sweetie's name is John Smith. Try making vacation plans or hotel reservations using that name! It's hilarious! XD
Will make custom plushie for MIB Fashion Style Applejack. PM for details!

See my pony art here!
My items for trade
My wanted list
My plushies!, Handmade plushies for sale!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2013, 09:09:21 PM »
I never knew anyone with my full name (Margaret) who was my age until recently- and now I know 4 or 5!  Because Margaret is an "older" name, and I go by Meg, people would just assume my name was Megan and call me that, which is much more common in my age group.  So, basically, I've been called something that isn't my name for most of my life. >.<

Edit:  Also, I had an easy to spell and pronounce last name until I got married, and now I have a last name that is French, so no one can spell it or say it.  People in my own family have trouble spelling it (thank goodness they can say it though!)  :P

Princess Margaret Countess of Snowdon was the most beautiful Princess

:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2013, 10:15:16 PM »
I was one of several Kellys in the 80s and 90s, but it didn't bother me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal