collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Common Name Woes  (Read 3509 times)

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
Re: Common Name Woes
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2013, 01:00:16 AM »
Nope...never had an issue with it
and my last name is pretty rare as well
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2013, 11:29:26 PM »
Yep, I have a common name too, both first and last.  If I ever get married, one of my requirements is that the guy has a last name that's at least marginally more interesting than mine.  At least my first name suits me; it means "warrior," and I used to do taekwondo. 

I've gotten so used to my online initials (kpf) that I've almost used them on a few documents; I had to remind myself that they weren't my real initials!
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2013, 12:02:09 AM »
My name is not too common, but I can't say its rare either. In my whole life i've met 3 people with the same name. My name is Eveliina.

CottonTALE

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2013, 01:58:49 AM »
My name is a bit of a conundrum... Gabrielle was rare name back when I was born, but alot of new children have it as either Gabrielle or Gabriella

I have yet to see anyone who has my first- and middle-name combination :P Gabrielle Elisabeth Catherine

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2013, 03:15:58 AM »
I'm a Jennifer. I've run into a lot of people with my name - school, work, etc. It's lots of fun having lost students come into the office looking for "Jennifer", and 2 of us turn to them asking "which one". :D There's probably ~5-6 Jennifers at work alone.

The most common name when I was in school seemed to be Christopher - we had 4 in one class one year.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Eldarwen

• View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2013, 04:09:36 AM »
I've met 4 Jessica's in Finland, all born in the late 90's. There is a girl called Jessica in my class, and her sister is called Jennifer. It might be common everywhere else and I think they're lovely names, but in here it sounds just weird, finnish names are so different.  :lol:

Oh, this thread reminded me of this http://geekologie.com/2013/10/28/girl-names-in-us.gif about most common names :D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 04:14:38 AM by Eldarwen »

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2013, 05:33:11 AM »
My name is Amanda, it is so common.  I find it annoying sometimes how common.  Where I work there are quite a few Amanda's and when someone says "Amanda" they are not talking to me apparently and they act like it's obvious.

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2013, 05:15:15 AM »
My name is not too common, but I can't say its rare either. In my whole life i've met 3 people with the same name. My name is Eveliina.
I think your name is beautiful :) but I usually like Finnish names in general. I'm actually planning to name my daughter Aino, if I ever have a daughter.

I have a colleague who is also Evelina (though with only one "i"), we usually call her Evi, which I find really cute. the Hungarian counterpart is Evelin, which is very uncommon - yet I went to the same class/group with two Evelins at university :)

taking about colleagues, my team leader has two less common given names, but a rather common family name. she goes by her second given name, but if we don't consider that, there are at least 2 more people in the company who share her full name (fist given name and family name). as a result, she often gets misdirected e-mails, and has strange situations that look funny from the outside, but must be very annoying to her personally. just yesterday when I arrived in the office, she asked me if I could help her, someone was trying to speak to her in German in live chat, and she can't even speak German, let alone work with German issues. she was mistaken for someone else again, and she was accused of having done something she didn't even know anything about  :shocked:
one time there was a guy who even tried to convince her that she is that other girl he was searching for, and he even copy-pasted a picture of the other girl, saying "look, it's you!"  :| :rofl:

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline ponybabe

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
My first name is Katrine (pronounced Katrin-a) and it wasn't common at all when I was growing up in the US (since it's a Danish name). My only pain was a new teacher since they'd always pronounce my Ukrainian middle and last name correctly but always pronounced my first name "Katrin" >_< I always had to say "No, it's Katrin-a" and then they'd always say "Oh it must be spelt wrong here since there's an 'e' at the end" and then I'd say "No it's spelt that way but pronounced "Katrin-a"", it was really annoying sometimes :huh:

When I moved to Denmark, I first met another name sister when I started the equivalent of high school here. So she ended up being called by her middle name and I ended up being called by my last name since it was so unusual here (being Ukrainian).

Many thanks to Nence for my adorable sig with my cat Chani in it and Btd for my lovely avatar!

Offline Lollipop

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • *Lollipop's for everypony*
    • View Profile
    • Wickstead's - Something Quintessentially Unique & Just That Little Bit Different
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2013, 09:49:01 AM »
I can safetly say there is NO ONE in the whole of the UK with my name  ^.^ especially not the spelling... good old mum for going something random & well our surname ... anyone in the whole wide world with our surname is related & this has been proven by my Nana & some government thing. We even have our own shield of arms :D

My first name was allllllways pronounced wrong in school which really bugged me because it really isnt that hard....

My boyfriend on the other hand.... well lets just say his name is a bit of a 'menace' ;) & this is the first thing every single member of my family (big fam) called him when they first met him was funny as they all did it haha
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 09:52:57 AM by Lollipop »
Lollipop
Wickstead's Wickstead's BLOG
:heart: :heart: :lovey: :heart: :heart:

Want/Wish List SALES Thread TRADES Thread :biggrin:

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2013, 09:49:13 AM »
but I usually like Finnish names in general. I'm actually planning to name my daughter Aino, if I ever have a daughter.

Aww, that's my name ^-^ For those who don't know, it comes from the Finnish national epic Kalevala. Some suggest the origin of the name is the word 'ainoa' for 'only', which makes "Aino tyttö" (a girl named Aino) 'the only daughter'. But the etymology is not certain.

It's not too common a name, but common enough so that I know several other Ainos, I meet them frequently at the university and there's one that joined our wind band recently. I think this is the first time I'm in a group with someone that shares my name, there were never others in my class or hobby groups. Takes a while to get used to! But my last name is so rare that there shouldn't be any others in Finland, or anywhere else for that matter, with this combination.

(Okay, of course I had to check... The most popular years for the name Aino were around 1900-1939. There was a decline in the 60s-70s, while the name has gained some popularity again in the 80s-90s and particularly after 2000. Seems like there will be more of us in the future. :) I think there's been a revival of old names in general here in Finland during the past years.)

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Eldarwen

• View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2013, 01:00:31 AM »
I think your name is beautiful :) but I usually like Finnish names in general. I'm actually planning to name my daughter Aino, if I ever have a daughter.

Aww thank you so much :hug:

I've only met one Aino, she was in the same school with me. :) Such a pretty name! Oh, and we were both born in 1990.

Offline mul-ta

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Actually a Furbob
    • View Profile
    • garden
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2013, 03:08:21 AM »
My surname. It's actually rather cool and uncommon but homonymous to what used to be a prominent noble family in the region where I was born. The nobles in question died out long ago but we were frequently taken for their direct descendants.

Offline Ivaness

• Henry the 8th's Missing Wife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Most Happy
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2013, 10:49:16 AM »
My name is Samantha. I was once told I was named after Samantha Stevens from Bewitched. (My mother now denies it, lol.)  I like it, I go by Sam a lot. It's super easy to say, but on the phone, a lot of people are like "Pam? Jam? Ham? What's your name? Susan?" -.-  I was also once told my mother batted around the name EARLEEN for me. I actually REALLY like that name now. I probably would have hated it in school. My German last name is hard enough for people to pronounce, they don't even try anymore.

My middle name, I have a serious love affair with. It's JEALEEN. My grandmother's names were Jean and Elsie Lee, so I'm honored with both of their names.  Should I ever have a daughter, I want to name her Elanore after my grandmother, who I was closer to.

(There is one person in Australia with my first and last name!!)

My son is Ivan Earl. Earl after his great grandfather. Ivan started out as a joke name. He was going to be Donovan. (Glad he isn't.) Turns out Ivan is my stepgrandfather's name, and it's Russian for John, my stepdad's name.  Worked all around!

Avatar by: KissTheThunder Signature By: Nence
Silver Shy Ref Autine Ref

Offline LordBlumiere

• keykid in a police box
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • doctor heart stealer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2013, 01:57:07 AM »
I had the 6th most popular girl's name the year I was born... so yes, I can say that my name is incredibly and irritatingly common. Not to mention how many different spellings of it there are--I was always getting the wrong spellings on birthday cards from friends in school and such. And add to the fact that a popular 90s/early 00s pop star had a different spelling of my name--it's no wonder I end up asking people to call me Blue most of the time. Frankly, I'd change my name in a heartbeat.

they/them, he/him, xie/xir/xirs
grail: princess silver swirl (original)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal