collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Common Name Woes  (Read 3468 times)

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
Re: Common Name Woes
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 04:20:05 PM »
the name Stephanie is very popular in my agegroup, also Jennifer, Andre, Jonas and David.
ohh, and sara/Sarah, i know about 5 of them! :D
i have 3 firstnames, most people just call me by the first of them, anna, which is quite popular too. One of my best friends is called Anna too! And we both collect Ponies, have familliar interest and one day, when we were about to meet new people, we both weared out new firefly shirt by accident! and with that the same earrings, because they fit so well. we were all over twins that day and we didn´t even planned it! :D  oh, and our birthdays are just 4 Days apart, so we celebrate together!

it is a very simple name and i often wished for a more fancier name, but after all, i got pretty used to it. ^^

Danya, is it pronounced like the russian Tanya? daan-ya? that sounds pretty!
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 06:48:04 PM »
My name (Pamela) was common enough to find in stores on the souvenir stuff when I was a kid, but I never went to school with anyone else with the same name.

I think my name was more popular a generation or 2 before I was born, since almost everyone I know has an Aunt Pam :P

I've always had problems with how people spell my name though, which I've never understood, it's not like my dad spelled it weird ^.^

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 11:15:43 PM »
I have a common name, sorry I don't share my real name on open forums though ;) however, im pretty used to having 3 people of the same first name in class or at work. The place I workat the mmoment however has nobody with the same name, but I think it has more to do with most of the staff are sri lankin, afghan, asian and a mixture of other cultures. Im one of only a few australians. I am happy to be working somewhere I don't share the same name, but I don't hate my name either. Itd be nice for it to be a little less common but *shrugs* whatcan ya do apart from a name change.

Offline emery

• Dr. Quinn, Medicine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+488)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • emery's emporium - My Little Ponies & other toys for sale
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 12:29:57 AM »
I have a VERY uncommon name (Branduin). I go by Brandy to make things easier since no one has ever heard of Branduin. But wouldn't you know it my very best friend since we were 10 years old is named Brandy and then I married a Brandon ;)
My Little Ponies and other toys for sale on....
Facebook @EmerysVintageEmporium
Instagram @emerys_emporium

wyndstar

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 01:30:01 AM »
Anna (emuel) yes. though i've also had people pronounce it 'don-ya' lol
my mom said my name is a shortened ukrainian name (her mom's side is ukrainian :) )

Brandy that's awesome lol! i once dated a Dan.. it was so funny :)

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 01:46:33 AM »
I like the name Danya, that's really cool :)

I have a common name uncommon spelling - Alix. My family has a lot of that, my dad is Brion and my brother is Iain. None of us ever find our names on those personalized mugs and keychains that's for sure ;)

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 02:15:50 AM »
My name is pretty common but not Jennifer common.  Kids are lucky these days in that even the top name on the charts is not as plentiful in number as the top names from the 70-90s.  Isabella is very popular but it's not as popular as Jennifer was. 

Anyway, I only occasionally had another person in my class with my name and when I did I hated it. So I wanted to be a less common name. Or, I would have been pleased to be Elizabeth or Catherine because they sound so beautiful and you have a million nick names you can use.  I would have been the different one choosing to go by the full name, at least in my school.

So now as an adult I still dislike when there are people with my name but it seems less common to come across one.   
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 02:21:33 AM by Marigold »

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 02:44:32 AM »
During my first 9 years of school I was with the same 30 people for every class. We had two Christoffer, two Erik, two David and two André. The remaining three years I came to a class with four Anna, two Sandra, two Jens and three Camilla. They all spelled it differently. I felt unique by being the only one in my town being named Veronica. I moved to a larger city a couple of years ago where we are some more Veronica. I'm closing in on 30 now and last spring another Veronika began at my work. First time ever and I'm like wow! We're a great team, lol. The Big C and Little K we're called.

Were only 28 people in the entire country with the same first and last name. Three of us live in the same city. I'm not really comfortable with it tho, on one side it's nice to have a special name, but on the other hand I'm fairly easy to find by people I might not want to find me. Hence one of the reasons I don't have facebook.

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 04:15:59 AM »
I wish I had a common name :lol: I go by my middle name, but my first name is so uncommon that I only know 3 people with that name. My Nana (whom I was named after) and the nurse that delivered my Nana (whom she was named after. Why would you name your baby after a nurse you don't even know?! :blink: ) I've never heard of anyone else having my name and I hate my name so much that I don't tell people :ninja:
My Wish List

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 04:22:22 AM »
Nope, not really.  I only ever met 1 other Tanya throughout gradeschool, though I seem to come across them more often then not int he workplace :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 06:27:42 AM »
My first name is super common, but I've always gone by my middle name. That has its own set of problems ><
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 06:30:21 AM »
I'm having the opposite problem, but in my case it's the family name. as I have German ancestors, I have a German family name, and it is only shared by 3 people in the whole country: my father, my sister and me. noone else shares my full name in my country (in Germany there are a few girls with the same name though, but that's to be expected). which could be cool, and I like my name a lot, but many times it is such a pain in the bum. 7 times out of 10(!) it is not spelled correctly, ranging from simple letter mixing to variations so crazy I wonder how people made them up  :blink: I am used to being called at least 10 different versions (all of which is incorrect), just because they are so common misspellings. I often have problems with registrations, ID and other card creation/renewal, because I often get my name incorrectly spelled on them, and, as they are official documents, they must be corrected to be valid.
when the same thing happened with my language exam they even tried to convince me that I was the one who misspelled my own name on the form that had to be filled out, hence the incorrect name on the exam certification. oh yeah, sure -_-
the funny thing is that when I am in an international environment this never happens. I never had my family name spelled incorrectly at university or at work. it only happens with Hungarians...

my first name (Monika) is somewhere in the middle - not very common, but not uncommon either. it is strange that before I went to university I met only two other Monikas (one was a teacher at my school during high school years, the other was a girl I got to know in a summer camp). because of this, I thought my name was pretty uncommon among my age. however, when I went to university I got to know about 3 more Monikas who were about my age. one of them used to attend the same classes as me, and we kept on joking with changing our sitting places from one class to the other, confusing the teacher who loved to learn names and always started the class with naming us one by one. he always knew one of us is a Monika, but never remembered there are two, and hence never knew the name of one of us XD
with my first name however, things go the other way round: because of the 'k' in it I sometimes get it incorrectly spelled at work (Monica), I guess because internationally (and also in English) the 'k' version is a less common way of spelling. in Hungarian however, this is the official version, so in a non-international context it is always spelled correctly.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 06:34:16 AM by Loona »

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

MidnightVelvet

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 08:47:35 AM »
We'll I have the opposite problem. My name is pretty uncommon. My name is Jenna. Many people ask me if my full name is Jennifer. Nope, just Jenna. And my middle name is just as bad.

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 09:11:31 AM »
Yep!!  5 of us in my class.  In 6th grade some genius put 4 of us in the same science period.  Alphabetical seating ran amok as 3 last names ended in "S", 1 in "T".  Hee hee!! 
:socks:   :frog:

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2013, 09:33:56 AM »
I have a VERY uncommon name (Branduin). I go by Brandy to make things easier since no one has ever heard of Branduin. But wouldn't you know it my very best friend since we were 10 years old is named Brandy and then I married a Brandon ;)
I've never told you before, but I really do like your name. It is so unique! Does it have an origin somewhere or just parent made up?
I also really like the spelling of your name Loona. :o) (My maiden name is also an odd german spelling...)

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal